We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Rave-Eagles Ballroom

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indy
Level Contributor
16 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
The Rave-Eagles Ballroom

Hey, its Kimmie in Indy again looking for some advice. My 11yo daughter and I are hitting the road again this time to Milwaukee,Wi. We want to go to the The Rave-Eagles Ballroom on a Friday evening. What I need to know quite frankly is: is this a part of town that a 40 something ( lol ) and her 11yo daughter would be safe in?

Is there a near by nice ( $100 ) hotel? How do you get around? by car? taxi? walk? Any advice would be apprecitated. TY.

Kimmie

Lovely Midwest
Level Contributor
378 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Rave-Eagles Ballroom

Hi Kimmie,

This is on 24th & Wisconsin, which isn't the worst part of town, but certainly isn't the best. Are you coming to town for the Jonas Brothers? I would feel safe if I were coming just for the show (go straight in and then leave right after), but I probably wouldn't hang around very long after the show with an 11 year old. It can get pretty rough in that area, although that is right near the MU campus.

I would probably recommend staying near the airport or if you want, stay downtown (east of the Eagles Club). I defintely prefer the area near the airport, or to the west, near Brookfield. Brookfield is also very accessible to downtown (right off I-94). I would suggest driving. I wouldn't want to walk in that area downtown, and taxis can be very pricy in Milwaukee.

Indy
Level Contributor
16 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Rave-Eagles Ballroom

Yes, to the Jonas Brothers. We did get tickets to see them with Miley Cyrus in Indy, but she would like to see them again as the headliner. Thanks for the information.

Kimmie

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,364 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Rave-Eagles Ballroom

There is a very nicely renovated Art Deco hotel named the Ambassador that is within a block of the Rave.

It is in a bit of a rough area. I would not call it dangerous, but if you are not comfortble with urban environments and the variety of people you can encounter you might want to look elsewhere for a room.

It is safe enough coming out of a concert becasue there will be plenty of people around. There is only a tiny parking lot, so if you drive you would have to park on the street. Street parking is plentiful.

If you are only coming in for the concert you can find a cheaper room in the airport area. If you would like to do other things in Milwaukee consider staying downtown, but $100.00 may be at the low end of the range for downtown rooms.

I think it would be best to have a car unless you are staying downtown. You could get a bus to the concert and a cheap (I guess $6.00) cab ride back to a downtown hotel.

If you have more questions keep them coming. Let us know where you decide to stay and we can give suggestions on places to eat, etc.

Green Bay, WI
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Rave-Eagles Ballroom

I don't want to contradict przyk, but I wouldn't stay at the Ambassador unless those renovations are pretty recent. I stayed there a few years ago and the rooms were pretty disgusting (mystery stains on the bed and ceiling, dirty bathroooms, etc.). I agree with what everyone else is saying about that part of town, not the place you'd want to wander around in. The Rave itself is nice, and I've been there many, many times for concerts.

Have fun! :)

Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
530 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Rave-Eagles Ballroom

We stayed at the Ambassador last year and our room was beautiful! Looking at others reviews, it looks like some rooms are nice and others not updated. Possibly call the hotel and request a nicer room. The area isn't that good to walk around but they do provide a shuttle service.

Hope that helps!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,364 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Rave-Eagles Ballroom

The Ambasador was closed down and totally redone a couple of years ago. It went froma tacky rooming house kind of place to a jewel. I believe there is an annex across the street that may not be nearly as nice as the main hotel building. That may account for the negative reviews, although I have really not read the reviews.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,364 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Rave-Eagles Ballroom

I looked thru the Ambassador reviews and thought they were quite good. The main complaint I read was from Priceline customers. My daughter is in the hotel business and this is a pet peeve of hers. Priceline customers get a steep discount off the going rate, yet sometimes complain when they don't get the nicest room in the hotel.

Being an old hotel the Ambassador probably has rooms of varying sizes. That would not be unusual. If you use Priceline or Hotwire to book a room you are not guaranteed a certain size or number of beds.

I just used Priceline for the first time in Philadelphia. I was traveling alone and location and room size were not important to me, so it worked out great.

If you were running a hotel and one guest was paying $80.00 a night and the other guest was paying $120.00 a night who would you give the nice room?

There were a couple of reviews listing maintenance issues, but I think that could happen even at a brand new hotel. The overwhelming majority seemed to be happy with the condition of the rooms from what I read.

All this said, whenever I write about the Ambassador I try to let people know that the neighborhood is somewhat sketchy and may not be comfortable for everyone.

I also read many reviews in which the poster loved the free shuttle. I would find it very annoying to wait 20 or 30 minutes for a 5 minute ride downtown. To each his own.

Wisconsin
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: The Rave-Eagles Ballroom

Wow, what great info.

This fits my situation perfectly. I'm planning on coming down with my 13 yr old daughter, and possibly 11 yo son for the Jonas Bro Concert. My daughter's friend's mom, said she couldn't go with us because of the area, so I just googled this question and this page came up.

I wasn't too concerned because I thought with mainly 11-16 yo kids and most likely their parents things shouldn't be too scary.

I did book a room for us at the Best Western Woods View Inn. It was only 3 miles from the Rave and being that I'm not too familiar with the area I wanted something close. I don't think it's the best area but looking on expedia.com, it's reviews weren't too bad and the price was terrific. Just need something, so I didn't have to drive home at night.

KimmieInIndy, I hope you and your daughter have a great time and we plan on having a great time as well.

Be Safe,

Colleen in WI

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,364 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Rave-Eagles Ballroom

To get to the Rave from the Woods View Inn turn left at 43rd street. Go past Miller Park and exit on Wisconsin Ave and go east. You will find plenty of street parking around the Rave. It can be a little intimidating at night, but there should be many people coming out of the concert, safety in numbers.

If you turn right on 43rd from National you will find several fast food restaurants. I will take a wild guess that your kids might be interested in something like that. I think there is an IHOP on 43rd too, if a real breakfast is in the plans.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
626 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Rave-Eagles Ballroom

Based on room rates, you might want to rethink that hotel (Woodsview), as there is really nothing to do over in that area. It is the only hotel on that stretch.

You are better off booking downtown so you can walk to restaurants, walk and see holiday lights, go iceskating in Red Arrow Park etc. before or after the show.

I would normally never recommend airport hotels unless you are flying in or out (again - not much to do over there), however staying in Brookfield is an option due to the great malls in that direction.