We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at the Ambassador Soon ....

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Staying at the Ambassador Soon ....

Okay, seriously, what is the area really like? I know there's another post about this topic, but there wasn't much info given on the details of the area. I have heard there's homeless people and winos in the area? I don't find that to be very dangerous. A little uncomfortable, yes, but unless they come up to you and start bothering you, I don't see how it could be much of a problem.

I've been to San Francisco a few times and have felt completely unsafe walking around downtown even during the day there. And where I am originally from - the Los Angeles area - it really depends on where you go in LA. Some parts are safer than others.

Unless Wisconsin Ave. is a big gang area, is it really *that* bad? And I don't mean bad in terms of "bad compared to what you would normally see in Wisconsin", I mean bad in general. Bad as in - do we need to worry about our car being tampered with in the parking lot area? Stuff like that.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
530 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at the Ambassador Soon ....

I'm originally from Detroit, so basically, like, LA, just watch your surroundings and act like you know where you are going. We stayed at the Ambassador about 6 months ago and weren't really worried. More on the level of homeless and winos, not gangbangers or worse.

We didn't have any problem with our car in the lot next door.

There isn't a lot to walk around for in the immediate area. As you probably know, you will need to drive or take their shuttle to go downtown.

I think it's talked about on this forum more to let people know it isn't directly downtown and it's not in an area to walk around at night. Daytime would be fine to walk to Marquette University or even down to the Pabst mansion.

Did you look at the reviews under the hotel as it addresses this issue, too?

Hope your trip north is fun! I'll be heading south in a few weeks and taking my parents to the Windy City!

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Marquette University
Marquette University
80 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,364 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at the Ambassador Soon ....

I really doubt you will have any problems. I think the area feels more unsafe than it actually is. I occasionally go to Michael's Restaurant, which is about a block east on Wisconsin Ave. I do not believe I have ever been pandandled or approached by anyone while in the area.

I also believe I have read that the Ambassador has security in the parking lot.

You wrote that you felt completely "unsafe" walking around San Francisco. I don't know what you mean by that or what made you feel unsafe. Your tag indicates you are from Chicago. If you can get by in Chicago I think you can get by around the Ambassador.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at the Ambassador Soon ....

I just didn't feel comfortable in certain areas of San Francisco .... I've been approached by homeless people there a few times and they seemed abrasive - as if they were threatened by me. I just ignored them and walked on, but dang! As I would walk around downtown, I'd keep remembering those times in which I was approached, and just being aware of what's going on. Homeless people are in that city almost on every block, so you're bound to run into one anywhere you go.

As for Los Angeles - it really depends. In Hollywood/West Hollywood homeless people mainly keep to themselves. As you go more toward LA/ Downtown LA, you'll find more homeless people - and people coming up to you actually asking you for money. One time my friends and I were in downtown LA and the same homeless woman asked us twice for some money and mentioned she wanted it for her cocaine. Needless to say, we didn't give her any money.

My boyfriend (whom I am travelling with) lived in New York for a few years, so.

Chicago is getting a lot better now. Compared to LA, downtown Chicago is a lot cleaner.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
New York
New York
United States
Green Bay, WI
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at the Ambassador Soon ....

I think (and this is strictly my opinion) that when a lot of people mention that it's a bad area, it's probably generally coming from other Wisconsinites. So, like you said, it's a "bad compared to the rest of Wisconsin" kind of thing. It's a predominantly poorer neighborhood with a large African-American population, which for some people is intimidating. Like some of the other posters said, if you've been to other big cities, it's nothing that you haven't seen before. If you're from Tiny Town, USA, then you might be a little intimidated.

I've been to The Rave multiple times and have never been accosted by homeless or anything of that sort. I think the worst thing that ever happened was we were looking for parking and a guy tried to get us to park in a lot that would've gotten us towed and burglarized, but a passerby warned us about it before we left our car there. Otherwise common sense (like always) should keep you safe.

Mentioned in this post
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,364 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at the Ambassador Soon ....

Well, you have not really said what you will be doing in Milwaukee, but you should not have a lot of reason to be walking around the streets by the hotel.

There is a convenience store a little to the west of the Ambassador, so if you want a bottle of water or snack you might walk there. You might be able to get a quart of beer in a paper bag too, not sure about that.

Then in the next block east of the Ambassador is Michael's restaurant, a great place for cheap breakfast or plate lunch, a diner type place. I believe they still have a smoking section, cough, cough.

Next to Michael's there is a Taco Bell. In the next block is a bank if you need an ATM. I have used that ATM and never got mugged or anything, but I don't think I would use it after dark.

The only other thing in the area is the Rave. If you are going to a concert you won't be the only one coming out, so I can't imagine you would have a problem walking back to the Ambassador after a concert.

If you are a jogger. Just run east on Wisconsin Av. I often see Marquette students jogging to the lakefront and back in the morning.

I really don't think you will be approached by anyone. Although some people seem to bring it on by making eye contact and slowing down, etc. You will definitely see people who are economically disadvantaged, but that does not mean they pose any danger.

Mentioned in this post
Marquette
Marquette
Wisconsin
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at the Ambassador Soon ....

Okay, then yeah there shouldn't be any problem. Thanks for the info and the heads up everyone!

We're actually going to an event at the Pabst Theatre. We're bringing our car, and because we have a parking ticket to park in the lot at the Theatre, we may just drive down there instead of taking the courtesy shuttle, but we'll see what happens.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,364 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at the Ambassador Soon ....

I would just drive down, especially if you have free parking. I think the parking ramp is connected so you don't even have to walk outside.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
626 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at the Ambassador Soon ....

There is not a parking lot at the Pabst Theatre. One close to there, but not at the theatre. FYI.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,364 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at the Ambassador Soon ....

The parking lot entrance is on Water between Kilbourn and Wells. The Pabst, the Milwaukee Repertory Theater, the Intercontinental Hotel and a large office building all share a common inside lobby area and parking ramp.

I am almost certain you can enter the Pabst Theater thru the lobby, but it may be that you have to go outside to enter the Pabst.

Mentioned in this post
Milwaukee Repertory Theater
Milwaukee Repertory...
108 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Pabst Theater
Pabst Theater
261 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
626 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying at the Ambassador Soon ....

Ah yes - the Intercontinental Ramp. Forgot about that one.

Yes you can enter the Pabst via the shared lobby.