We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Czech/Polish Deli or Butcher shops?

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, WI
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Czech/Polish Deli or Butcher shops?

Does anyone know of a Czech/Polish deli or butcher shop in the Milwaukee area? How about a bakery that sells Eastern European breads/pastries?

There are a few in Chicago that I know about - just wondering if there's anything closer to home for me.

Thanks!

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
28 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Czech/Polish Deli or Butcher shops?

Absolutely!

Go to A&J Polish Deli on 1215 W Lincoln Ave in Milwaukee. The deli is owned and staffed by Polish people, and they have about 20 kinds of sausage for sale (plus other eastern European meats). They also have a grocery section with Polish foods. Very nice place and nice owners!!!

There is also a place in Greendale (south of Milwaukee) called Old World Deli. That is at 7630 W Grange Ave in Greendale. They also have sausage, Polish foods, frozen bigos, etc.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
23 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Czech/Polish Deli or Butcher shops?

There is a Polish/ European Deli at the Northwest corner of College and 27th St. Trying to think of the name of it, but they have some really good meats. It's in a strip mall with a Cousins subs, China House restaurant, and a George Webbs. I live like 3 blocks to the east of there.

For REALLY good meat go to Adamczyk's in Cudahy. Eddie Adamczyk is pretty famous there for his Polska Kielbasa. He's like 84 and he took it over from his Dad who started it at the turn of the century. They are located at 3700 E. Hammond Ave. They are only open on Thursday and Fridays. They have great Hungarians, Polish, just about any kind of sausage. It's a really old-school butcher shop. The super-hot hungarians rock.

Madison,WI
Level Contributor
529 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Czech/Polish Deli or Butcher shops?

I can't write this as a recommendation, but there is Alex's Polish Deli on East Wash., near East Towne.

Milwaukee, WI
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Czech/Polish Deli or Butcher shops?

I have to agree with the above poster -- Adamczyk's had by far the best sausage I've ever had.

wisconsin
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Czech/Polish Deli or Butcher shops?

I am from Poland but live in central Wisconsin for over 5 years. After visitng Chicago and several polish delis (at Jackowo, Polish village) i have decided to come to Milwaukee that is much closer for me. No traffic also comparing to one from Chicago :-)

The A&J polish deli is located very convinient just few blocks from Hwy 43. The neighborhood seems to be kind of scary but during the day it is safe to go and park the car right by the store or around the Kosciuszko Park. The store is rather small (but compares to those that are popular in Poland) but has good choice of groceries. You can find lots of candies (Ptasie Mleczko, Chocolate bars made by Wedel and Milka, pierniczki aplejskie, pierniczki torunskie etc), dairy products such as butter and cream cheese - twarog. Store probably is the most popular from the variety of meats. Very good prices too not to expensive especially on deli. The store owner seems to be very nice and speaks english - so that's a big advantage of that store comparing to many in chicago in which the staff does not speak english.

I reccomend this store to anybody whownts to try polish food, meats, sausages, candies and other products directly either from Poland or Chicago distributors.

6. Re: Czech/Polish Deli or Butcher shops?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 20:18