We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milwaukee to Chicago

Level Contributor
306 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Milwaukee to Chicago

My husband and I will be flying into Milwaukee to see a Brewers night game in May and after the game will then be driving to Chicago. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced (and not to far from the highway) place to stay about half way to Chicago? Also, how would we go about getting two Brewers tickets? Do you know when they go on sale? Thanks!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,856 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milwaukee to Chicago

You might want to look for a motel in the Kenosha area. There is an outlet mall with several motels along I-94 at Hwy 50. www.kenoshacvb.com is the web site for the Kenosha chamber of commerce and has a listing of motels.

It's only about two hours from Milwaukee to Chicago, so you might even think about looking for a room in Milwaukee, in case the game runs late, or you get into the atmosphere and have one to many Miller beers at Miller Park, when inRome, as they say.

I am not sure if single game Brewer tickets are on sale yet, but the place to look is the Brewers web site, www.milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com.

Cubs games are the hardest to get tickets for, but the Brewers sold well in 2008, so I would look for tickets as soon as your plans are finalized.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
524 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milwaukee to Chicago

I agree, you should stay in Milwaukee since it is only a two-hour drive to Chicago...although you didn't say where about in Chicago you were headed. If you want to drive after the game, Kenosha would be the closest spot near Chicago for a hotel/motel. You could also drive about 15-20 minutes far south on I-294 to Gurnee, where there is a huge outlet mall and Great America. There are several large hotels here. Go on the TripAdvisor site for Gurnee, IL and you will find descriptions and locations, as well as reviews.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milwaukee to Chicago

Hi Alohamom:

The single game brewers tickets "usually" go on sale in Feb. sometime. You can check the websit your were given. You may want to consider arriving in Milwaukee in time to check into a hotel, and then take in the whole "tailgating scene" at Miller Park.

Like others have said it is only about a 2 hour drive to Chicago. You could do it the next day.

Another option is the train to Chicago, as you probably don't need a car when you get there, parking is expensive in Chicago. The train is about 1 1/2 hour trip and leaves about every 2 hours. Right now is is less then $25 one way.

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

Milwaukee has a lot to see also if you wanted to spend a few days here during your trip. We have a wonderful Art Museum, the new Harley Davidson museum, a brewery tour, etc. But if you consider that I am sure we can give you good suggestions, just let us know.

Level Contributor
306 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milwaukee to Chicago

Thanks for all the great info! You are right, we are not planning on using a car in Chicago so we thought we would rent one at the Milwaukee airport and use it to drive to Chicago after the game and drop it off, but....your thoughts regarding the train service are interesting. In the event we decided not to get a car, if we arrive at the Milwaukee airport, how is your public transportation to get us to a hotel near the ballpark, then to the ballpark and then to the train station the next morning? Where would you recommend us staying -- we would just be looking for a moderately priced hotel...nothing fancy since we would only be there to sleep after the game. Thanks!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,856 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milwaukee to Chicago

I suggest renting a car for your night in Milwaukee to get to and from the baseball game.

Amtrak has a station at the Milwaukee airport, so you could pick up and return your rental car at the airport location.

There are many moderately priced hotels in the area around the airport. That would be a good place to look for an inexpensive room.

There are no hotels close to Miller Park. Some downtown hotels may offer shuttles to the ballpark, but the hotels downtown will be more expensive than those around the airport. That's why I suggest renting a car to get around Milwaukee unless you are interested in staying downtown.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Milwaukee to Chicago

I agree with przyk. I would rent a car at the airport, then drive to the game. Part of the fun with games at Miller Park is the tailgating, and by renting a car and driving to the game you would be able to partake in the fun (though be prepared for people to rag you for being a Cubs fan-- even though there will probably be more of you than Brewer's fans over there at Wrigley Field North...). Then just drive back to a hotel near the airport and take a morning shuttle to the Amtrak station at the airport.

{By the way, I'm preparing myself for the onslaught of heckling about the Wrig. Field comment. What can I say? I grew up outside Chicago-- my dad would disown me if I changed my loyalties... :)]

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Milwaukee to Chicago

Maybe I missed it, but did the OP say they were Cubs fans, out of curiosity? Anyway, I would second the idea of staying in Milwaukee for the night. As has been noted, there is an Amtrak station at the airport, and there are many hotels around there. If you choose to stay downtown, as I don't live in Milwaukee I don't know if there are shuttles to/from the airport, but the Amtrak station is just south of downtown itself, and, if you don't have too much luggage, you could easily walk to the Hilton or the Hyatt or the Best Western ( I have stayed there for Marquette games in the winter), and probably some others. You could then take public transportation to the game itself. Amtrak is an easy ride, and you could easily cab it from the station in Chicago to your hotel.

Level Contributor
306 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Milwaukee to Chicago

Thanks for all the great input -- As suggested, I think we will stay near the airport, rent the car, drive to the game and then take Amtrak to Chicago the next morning. BTW, we are die-hard Yankee fans....but we love baseball and visiting other stadiums so we will get to do two in one trip! Really looking forward to it. Have heard wonderful things about both stadiums. Now we just have to get lucky enough to get tixs. Thanks again!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Milwaukee to Chicago

Sounds like you have a good plan, good luck and enjoy the trip.

I am glad you cleared the air about who you are a fan of. Sometimes people "assume" things.

You will enjoy Miller Park here in Milwaukee. It is quite a unique structure.

This year I will visit the two new ones in Manhattan. Yankee and Shea, (but I don't know if they are called that anymore) and Cleveland and Detroit.

We visit stadiums and take in the games, during our trips also.

The Wrigley experience is cool too. It was built in 1914.

So just have a fun trip.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Milwaukee to Chicago

Your plan should be fine. I had to query about your allegiances because I'm a White Sox fan personally - think Yankees/Mets - made my first trip to Yankee Stadium this September, enjoyed it immensely, people were really nice. Looking forward to the new stadium. Come see us on the south side of Chicago as well. Spend some time at the Milwaukee Art Museum, it is well-worth the visit, if you have time or can make the time. The Amtrak station at the airport is a shuttle-bus ride, so just make sure to allow enough time. Several trains a day.