We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harley Davidson Museum Accomodation

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Harley Davidson Museum Accomodation

Hi there, I am looking for a reasonably priced hotel the near the H-D Museum. We are travelling from New Zealand so trying to get a place that does not cost us the earth. Any suggestion please?

Thank you

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,631 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harley Davidson Museum Accomodation

If you will have a rental car you might be able to save money on hotels by looking near the airport. There are many to choose from and that is usually the cheapest area for hotel rooms. It is about a 15 minute drive to the Harley Museum.

If you won't have a car you will probably be better off staying downtown. The Best Western Inn Towne is usually the most moderately priced hotel downtown.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,631 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Harley Davidson Museum Accomodation

I should have mentioned the Iron Horse Inn, which is the closest hotel to the museum and was built specifically for Harley enthusiasts. I don't know if that will be an affordable option, but with the economy as it is hotel rates may be lower than they have been in the past.

The Iron Horse is also a little isolated from downtown, so may not be the best choice if you don't have a car.

milwaukee
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Harley Davidson Museum Accomodation

Hi,

I would recommend the Iron Horse Hotel, great new botique hotel. It is the closest hotel to the new H-D Musueum. It is slighty out of the way of downtown and is in a revitilizng warehouse area of the city.

If you do not have a car you can always get a taxi. I would also recommend Marriott Residence Hotel, Hyatt (which has gone an extensive renovation this past year) Courtyard or Hotel Metro. If you are looking for a really nice place I also suggest checking County Clare Hotel. It is an Irish B&B, in a nice residential section of downtown. All of these will range from $100-$150 USD depending on time. Check Expedia or Priceline.

If you are looking for really nice restaurants, bars, clubs I suggest Milwaukee Street. Hotel Metro is located on this street. Also, Brady Street and Third Ward are worth your time exploring.

I also encourage you to check out Milwaukee Art Musueum, Discovery World, and our lakefront while in town.

Hope you have a good trip to Milwaukee and please see prior posts for restuarant, etc. suggestions. I hope to visit Australia and New Zealand this summer.

Brian

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
942 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harley Davidson Museum Accomodation

Great to find a kiwi on the Wisconsin forum. Given the current exchange rate, I can understand your need to keep the costs down!

It really depends on what time of year you are coming. If you can book far ahead, I recommend kayak.com as a good search engine to find a moderately priced hotel downtown.

We usually stay at the Hilton, because it's on a busline, near the museums, and I can usually get it for under US$70 a night when I book a few months ahead.

The Iron Horse WILL cost YOU the earth, but it is in the best possible location. There will also be lots of other Harley lovers there. Are you touring the plant as well?

Good luck with the planning, and I hope that you have a great trip. I enjoyed NZ immensely.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Harley Davidson Museum Accomodation

As far as location, downtown is the best. The last poster mentioned the Hilton, and at $70 a night its a steal. Go for the Hilton if you can. Other lower cost choices would be. The Ramada, the Best Western Inn Towne, and the Hampton Inn and Suites, (the Hampton has a decent free continental breakfast). There also is an extra charge for parking your car if you will be renting one. The Ramada however does not charge for parking.

Also you can walk to the Harley Museum from the downtown area. The Ramada is about a 6 block walk south on 6th street. The Hilton is an extra block and the Best Western and Hampton another 2-3 blocks.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Harley Davidson Museum Accomodation

Depending on what time of the year you are staying in Milwaukee will make the price different at the hotels.

Any of the Hotels mentioned on Wisconsin Ave are in a good location and within reach of the Harley Museum and many other attractions "even without a car"

Kimbobb if you know how to get a $70 price at the Hilton, please share it with us>>>> I have never seen it that low. WoW

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
942 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Harley Davidson Museum Accomodation

Cheap hotel rates are easy to come by, IF you can book far ahead.

I always go on weekdays, too. I check for convention blocks and book around them. The hotel reservations people are usually forthcoming as to when blocks are expiring, so you can call back and book by phone, if you need to.

For example, for Summerfest, I book 9 months to a year ahead. I know I'm going to want to be there, so I book Sunday through Thursday nights.

Then I cancel whatever nights I DON'T want once the schedule is announced. They can easily resell the rooms, so I don't pay any penalty.

If you HAVE to be there on a certain date, and there are no hotels available in your price range where you want to be, book near the airport and keep trying the other location(s), downtown, for example. There will be cancellations the day before up to 4 PM the day you want to arrive, and if you are persistent, you will get one of them.

I have also become good at playing the Priceline game. I love the hunt and I REALLY love saving money when I can, so I see this as a lot of fun. I know most people aren't so excited by it......this is my mental illness!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Harley Davidson Museum Accomodation

I have the same mental illness. I once got the Concourse In Madison for $45. Love priceline.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Harley Davidson Museum Accomodation

I got a great rate at the Iron Horse on www.perfectescapes.com 33% off on a 3 day stay. It doesn't really show it until you plunk in your days and try to book! I think the average rate for the 3 days was $106. I thought that a great price for the #1 Tripadvisor rated in Milwaukee!

10. Re: Harley Davidson Museum Accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 22:17