We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe walking downtown Milwaukee at night?

heaven
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Safe walking downtown Milwaukee at night?

I'll be visiting Milwaukee for a weekend. Debating whether I should stay near the airport or downtown. If downtown, which hotel is central to everything? Do I still need to rent a car? Are stores open on Sunday? Is it safe walking at night?

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,935 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe walking downtown Milwaukee at night?

Depending on the purpose of your visit you most likely will need a rental car. Milwaukee's public transportation system is mainly designed to get workers downtown in the morning and home at night. It is possible to get around by bus, but not real convenient, again depending on the purpose of your trip.

There are some very nice hotels downtown, but rates are probably cheaper near the airport and you can get downtown in about 15 minutes.

Stores are open Sunday, with the exception of some specialty shops. There is a mall downtown, but suburban malls are much nicer.

Milwaukee is relatively safe at night. In any American city you need to be careful of your surroundings, but on the whole Milwuakee is safe.

If you give a few more details about the purpose of your trip, who will be coming with you (kids, etc.) I could be more speific about recomendations.

You might look at www.onmilwaukee.com for more information.

heaven
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe walking downtown Milwaukee at night?

We'll be attending a wedding on Sat but arriving on Fri morning and leaving on Sun evening. Try to do some sightseeing on 1st and last day. We are all adults in our group and none is interested in museums and arts stuff but 2 are shopaholics, so definitely some shopping. I personally would like to explore the city on foot if possible, and may be dinner cruise on Friday night.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,935 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe walking downtown Milwaukee at night?

For information on dinner cruises go to www.weissgerbers.com and click on Edelweiss. The Wessgerber family operates several very good restaurants in Milwaukee and also has dinner and sightseeing cruises on Lake Michigan.

I think the best shopping area is Mayfair Mall. It is located 6 or 8 miles west of downtown Milwaukee at 108th Street (Highway 100) and North Avenue. There is also a large theater complex at the Mall, so perhaps the less enthusastic shoppers could take in a movie. There are also several nice restaurants and bars at Mayfair.

If the weather holds up it is very pleasant walking along the lakefront. The lakefront is all parkland. The streets above the lakefront north of downtown are mainly residential with large, beautiful homes.

If you want to stay downtown the nicest hotel is probably the Pfister. There is also a Hyatt, Wyndham, and Marriott Residence Inn.

Milwaukee is a very nice city. I think you will enjoy it.