We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants near Iron Horse Hotel

Howell MI
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants near Iron Horse Hotel

My husband and I will be spending two nights at the Iron Horse Hotel May 31 - June 2 and are interested in restaurants near this property. Can someone suggest a good steakhouse and Italian restaurant? Thanks

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants near Iron Horse Hotel

The Iron Horse is only a few blocks from downtown, but is in a kind of isolated area and there is not much around it.

You can get to any of the downtown restaurnats with a short taxi ride, or if you have a car you might be best off driving.

There are many recommendations in old posts for restaurnats. For steak I suggest the Five O'Clock club, or for a real upscale experience The Capitol Grille. Many people also recommend Butch's for steak.

If you like traditional Italian I like Balistreris on Bluemound or a small place caleed Lisa's on the east side. If you want a more updated Italian experience try Pasta Tree or Mimma's.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
626 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants near Iron Horse Hotel

Iron Horse does have very good food in their restaurant Branded. In addition, I believe Smyth, their sit down, may be open by then.

If you wish to stay in the neighborhood - check out Triskele's and Crazy Water - both have websites with menus posted.

My favorite places for steak in Milwaukee are Mason Street Grille in the Pfister Hotel, and Jackson Grille. You will need reservations at Jackson Grille, as it's a tiny place.

For Italian I recommend The Savoy Room in the old Shorecrest Hotel, Carini's la Conca d'Oro, or Sala di Pranzo, in addition to those already mentioned

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants near Iron Horse Hotel

The Jackson Grill is wonderful, by far the best steak place. Butch's is close to your hotel and I like that one also.

A unique restaurant you may like is La meranda, and it is fairly close. It is a tapas restaurant. Has been getting great reviews and best of 2008 awards. Best new restaurant in Milwaukee etc. They also serve wisconsin microbrews here on tap.

FYI It is smoke free. A place to relax and take your time ordering and eating small portions of different foods. Great place

http://www.lamerenda125.com/

Mondays is a wine special at La Meranda. 1/2 price bottles and they have a great selection. Servers are great. Looks like you may be there on a monday night.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants near Iron Horse Hotel

Another small plate / tapas place very close to the hotel is called Ginger. It's kind of lounge-y but the food is great.

http://www.gingermilwaukee.com/

If you make it into the 3rd Ward area (just south of downtown), there is a fantastic gastropub called Hinterland. The restaurant part is more upscale / pricey, and the lounge is more laid-back / plates under $20. They brew their own beer. Highly recommended.

hinterlandbeer.com/restaurantmilwaukee.shtml

As previously mentioned, La Merenda is excellent. Both they and Hinterland use locally grown / in season products.

On a side note, the Iron Horse is fantastic! You are going to love staying there, and the food at Branded is excellent.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
626 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants near Iron Horse Hotel

Smyth is scheduled to open May 1.

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants near Iron Horse Hotel

Iron Horse is a few blocks from a Latino area with numerous good Mexican restaurants. Botanas is the best of the bunch IMO (VERY good fajitas, huge portions). La Perla is good too. I would avoid La Fuente, which is the most overrated restaurant in Milwaukee.

7. Re: Restaurants near Iron Horse Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 16:19