We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Circus Parade

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Circus Parade

Hi

We are planning on attending the circus parade next Sunday, how early do we need to get there. Anyone know the time the streets get shut down, I was going to try get there at that time and get a place on a street (that now would be closed).

Any ideas or thoughts, has anyone ever attended before? Is it worth the trip and time involved?

Thanks so much

Jackie

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Circus Parade

My parents have tickets for the seats and parking and were told to get there by 11 AM. The seats are open seating, but the early arrival was more streets getting closed fairly early. Hopefully somebody with direct experience will also reply.

Pam

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
997 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Circus Parade

For those of you who do not have reserved seating get there as early as you can. Crowds have been known to gather the night before and camp out.

In my opinion it is worth the trip. But if you decide against the parade, you can still go down to Veterans Park the 8th through the 11th to see the wagons, animals, and even take in a circus show at the big top.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,369 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Circus Parade

This is the first parade in several years, so no one has recent history to rely on, but as has been said, in the past people campped out on streets and set up chairs a day or two before the parade.

If you relly want a good view you need to get there early, early. If you want to risk arriving later you should study a map of the parade route and figure out how to get to a desired location via city streets rather than taking the freeway right into downtown.

For example, take 3rd or 6th street in from the north, 6th street or Howell from the south or Canal or State street from the west. That way you can at least get into the downtown area and see what traffic/parking conditions are like.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Circus Parade

Thanks everyone for your help. Another question, thinking of staying in the area Oak Creek has cheapest hotels..ok i have a crazy idea!! what do u think of putting our chairs out Sat. night, I was thinking of duck taping them together and maybe to a pole, will they still be moved/stolen?

Just didn't want to spend all day waiting for that parade, i'm only going with my daughter so we dont have a big crowd to keep us entertaied, so if worst came to worst we are only out 2 chairs??

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
997 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Circus Parade

Leaving your chairs is totally your call. If you get downtown in the evening you can always scope out the area and get a feel for leaving your chairs. If you feel comfortable leaving them then go for it. Like you said, your only out two chairs. Stay as late as you can with your chairs, you can bring a cooler and eat your dinner there. Get to know some of the people around you. I would think someone who is staying all night would keep an eye out for you. Then show up bright and early with a box of donuts and some coffee for them.

My brother-in-law always camped out the night before and said that it was great getting to know the people around them. My other brother-in-law would put chairs out (he lives in Illinois) then come and spend the night at my house. His chairs were still there the next morning.

Hopefully the excitement and charm of the parade will be there again.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,369 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Circus Parade

I think the key is even if you leave chairs out all night you would probably need to get there several hours before the start of the parade.

Because of the difficulties of driving and parking I don't think it is realistic to just show up a few minutes before the parade starts. You may not even be able to get back to your chairs if you wait too long.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Circus Parade

In the past, it was easier to get spots toward the end of the route. The busiest is on the east end of Wisconsin Ave.

We've usually been able to find a decent spot along Michigan st. the morning of the parade.

It may be different this year since interest had been waning in the later years of the yearly parades.

8. Re: Circus Parade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2010, 06:15