We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative places to stay: Milwaukee

eastern us
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Alternative places to stay: Milwaukee

Help! I'm going to be in Milwaukee in mid-August for a couple of days mid-week. I need a place to stay and all of the downtown hotels look like either dumps or way to expensive.

Found County Clare. Found the B&Bs, but am also looking for something that's similar, but not quite the same.

Ideas?

Thanks!

milwaukee
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative places to stay: Milwaukee

I am not sure which hotels look like dumps, etc. but best hotels in city are Pfister Hotel, Intercontiential Hotel, Iron Horse Hotel, Hotel Metro and Marriott Residence IMO. I am planning on staying at the County Clare this weekend. Very unique property, good food, friendly staff and nice bar. We found resonable rate of $120 for one night. You could also consider the Knickerbocker Hotel, which is in the same area. I believe though that all the rooms are fairly different. They are both less than five minute walk from lakefront, Milwaukee Art Museum, Discovery World and ethnic festivals. You may be coming during Irish Fest, which is highly recommended! If you are looking for ideas of things to do, please check my previous posts. HOpe you enjoy Milwaukee!

Brian

milwaukee
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative places to stay: Milwaukee

If you were to stay outside the city, consider Crowne Plaza in Wauwatosa, or beleive a few B&Bs north in Cedarburg. It certainly depends on age and plans for week.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,528 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative places to stay: Milwaukee

Not a dump, but not too expensive, similar to a B & B, but not quite the same.

I am having trouble figuring out what exactly you are looking for, so it's hard to make suggestions.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
626 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative places to stay: Milwaukee

I have been in many of our downtown hotels, and they are not dumps. Sounds like maybe what's happening is the ones that are affordable are the "less attractive" properties.

What is your budget?

You say you're coming mid-week, so rates should be lower, unless there is a big convention in town. Definitely try County Clare, as well as Sheridan House if you don't mind a 15 or so minute drive to downtown.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
242 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative places to stay: Milwaukee

I just got back from my second stay at Marquette University's Straz Tower. I like the cost -- $45 for one, $62 for two -- but also the view and the location on the edge of downtown. I bring my bike and just cruise down Wisconsin Avenue to the lakefront and festival grounds and wherever else I want to go (this time, also Lakefront Brewery for the tour).

Beth at MidwestWeekends.com

eastern us
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative places to stay: Milwaukee

Sorry if I offended Milwaukeans. My "dump" comment was based on the reviews here and elsewhere of several downtown hotels. Price is an issue and I will be in town for a small conference, so recreating is basically out of the question.

There are several very good suggestions, here, thank you. What I was looking for was a combo between the Marquette Towers idea and County Clare or a B&B. IOW, something not very pricey, but also convenient.

Am now confident that I can find something based on your suggestions and will review when I return.

Thanks for all your helpful comments.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,528 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternative places to stay: Milwaukee

Now THAT sounds like an alternative, as long as it's not a dump.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
626 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternative places to stay: Milwaukee

No offense taken.

Ask for the corporate rate at County Clare if you are coming mid-week.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternative places to stay: Milwaukee

seaburytraveler

If you stayed at Marquette University Straz Tower they you must have been in town for the NMFN Conference.

My understanding is the Marquette does not offer the dorms any longer for travelers. But they do contract with some conventions to rent out rooms to attendees.

So if druidclark is considering Marquette a dorm, then call and make sure they are renting them out.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
242 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alternative places to stay: Milwaukee

No, I was in town July 10-12 for the Great Circus Festival, Bastille Days, the Lakefront Brewery tour and to ride the bike trails.

Unless the policy changed this week, ordinary travelers can stay at Marquette's Straz Tower. Reserve at 414-288-7208.

You may be thinking of the dorms at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where you do have to be attending a conference or visiting the university.