We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windsor/Detroit To Milwaukee?

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Windsor/Detroit To Milwaukee?

Hi

I am staying in Windsor, Ontario and then wanting to drive to Milwaukee and stay overnight. I was wondering how long of a trip would that be (Driving Times), My major worry is would traffic around Chicago be a problem. The thing is I don't want to go into Chicago but just bypass it on a freeway. Would it be fine to go all the way to Milwaukee in one day or should I stay in a place a little closer to Windsor?

After Milwaukee I would like to drive to Mankato!

Thanks,

BTD

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windsor/Detroit To Milwaukee?

I am not sure exactly what you are asking.

I have driven from Milwaukee to Detroit and I believe it is about 8 hours. You are correct in that you are likely to encounter heavy traffic around Chicago. There is not much you can do about it other than plan not to hit rush hour when it is worst, although you can run into congestion most anytime around Chicago.

As we are getting into November you also need to keep an eye on the weather as snow showers can kick up around the eastern and southern shore of Lake Michigan as you get into the Chicago area.

It is doable in one day from Detroit/Windsor to Milwaukee. You will find much less traffic from Milwaukee to Mankato.

I am not sure exactly what you are asking so you may want ot rephrase if you have a question.

Alberta
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Windsor/Detroit To Milwaukee?

Hi

Sorry I did not phrase that well at all!!

I am wondering if it would be fine to go around the city on the I-94. I am from a small town in Alberta so I am not used to heavy traffic although I have driven in it before. Also would South Bend, Indiana be a good option?

Thanks!!

Janesville...
Level Contributor
425 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Windsor/Detroit To Milwaukee?

Barkley,

If you take the 294 around Chicago (you will go through many suburbs) between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., you should be fine as far as traffic is concerned. Look at a good map to give you an idea of where you are going(however, accidents could slow you down) I do not recommend coming through there after dark as you might get confused and take a wrong exit. Illinois drivers tend to drive very fast so just stay in the right lane if you feel wary. If you stay in South Bend, it is about 3 hours of Milwaukee from there. Depending on what month you are coming through, you have to watch weather reports. As the other poster Pryzyk said, there are sometimes intense snow squalls off of Lake Michigan onto the east and south side of Lake Michigan.

Alberta
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windsor/Detroit To Milwaukee?

We are coming through in July so will snow be a problem then? Also I am wondering how far is it from South Bend to Mankato?

Janesville...
Level Contributor
425 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Windsor/Detroit To Milwaukee?

Barkley,

No snow, just heat and humidity. I see on Mapquest that is approximately 550 miles from South Bend to Mankato or about 8-9 hours depending on how you drive. Yes, it is doable in one day although it is quite a jaunt. Traffic construction is notorious in the Midwest in the summer so allow plenty of time for that. When you travel on I-90, you will encounter more traffic in Chicago, Milwaukee and around Madison, WI. Once you leave Madison, WI, there should be no more heavy traffic unless there is an accident. I have gone this way many times on my way out to South Dakota. Any other questions, just ask.

Alberta
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Windsor/Detroit To Milwaukee?

Thanx so much!!

I stay in Super 8's or Econo Lodges mainly when I travel so could you recommend a place that has these hotels and is pretty much in between Windsor & Mankato?

Also my other question is what how many lanes is the I-90 in most places? And how fast do the majority drive on this highway.

I live in between Edmonton & Calgary and the main highway that links those cities devided and about 4 lanes. People drive about 75-80 miles per house on that highway.

Barkley

PS. Thanks for answering questions!!

Alberta
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Windsor/Detroit To Milwaukee?

Oh, I forgot

I would like to stay as far away from Chicago as I can without going to far out of the way!!

BTD

Janesville...
Level Contributor
425 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Windsor/Detroit To Milwaukee?

Barkley,

As far as places to stay are concerned, I will get back to you. Your question of how many lanes and speed limits, I will answer below. I cannot tell you how many lanes are on I-90 in Michigan, I think that there are 2 in each direction past Detroit. There are at least 3 lanes, sometimes 4 lanes on 294 around Chicago. When that ends, you will have 3 lanes to Milwaukee and west to around Pewaukee, WI. Then the rest of the way, it will be 2 lanes in each direction. (around Madison, WI is 3 lanes) Speed limit on most thoroughfares, with the exception of the big cities is 65 mph. You will notice around Chicago that some people go faster. Just keep up with traffic. In Wisconsin, you can usually do up to 75 mph without getting a ticket however any faster than that, you are taking your own chances as far as getting a ticket. The cops really patrol road construction areas. Tickets are doubled in those zones. Tickets in Wisconsin are not cheap and can be up to $200. In Minnesota, they also tend to drive a little faster. I will get back to you regarding the motels.

Janesville...
Level Contributor
425 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Windsor/Detroit To Milwaukee?

Hi Barkley,

I don't know what I was thinking when I said you would go through Milwaukee. You are taking I-90 instead of 94. My error. I know you like to stay in Super 8's or EconoLodges. It has been my experience that both of these places can vary in quality from town to town. Some are good but mainly not that great. A good place to stay might be in Rockford, IL. The first exit in Rockford, (State St.) has just tons of motels to pick from and tons of restaurants also. Because there are so many places, they tend to be a little cheaper as they have to compete. Check out trip advisors Rockford listings and see what their recommendations are. The next exit - Riverside BLvd., has a brand new Holiday Inn Express. I have always had good luck with this chain. Rockford is about 45 mins west of the Chicago suburbs, but yet not as many people. (my husband works in Rockford and that is why I am knowledgeable about the area)

Alberta
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Windsor/Detroit To Milwaukee?

Thanks So Much!!!

I will look at the Rockford hotels and make a choice.

BTD