We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

Boston...
Level Contributor
211 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

Another couple questions guys, it looks simple enough on the Milwaukee Transit sites. It looks like bus Rt # 80 goes straight downtown from the airport near the Bradley center where Im staying, would this be correct? Does anyone have a rough ETA on how long it takes to get from airport to downtown, and vice versa? And are there areas we should want to avoid either at night, or all together, thanks again

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,633 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

You are correct that the route 80 bus will take you direct from Mitchell airport to downtown Milwaukee. I looked at the route map because frankly I don't ride the buses. It looks like Route 80 goes right down 6th street.

I really don't know how many people use the bus for transportation from the airport, but it makes a lot of sense. I looked at the schedule and it looks like the buses are scheduled every 30minutes during non peak and 15 minutes or so during peak.

The trip is scheduled for 30 to 45 minutes. A taxi would take about 20 minutes, so you are not really losing that much time.

You need exact change to ride. I am not sure what the fare is, but you have probably already looked at ridemcts.com to find out.

6th Street is kind of edgy on the near south side, but I would not hesitate to ride that bus route. If you are coming on a school day in the afternoon when kids are getting out of school would probably be the worst time. Milwaukee has open enrollment and lots of kids ride city buses to and from school.

Bottom line, if you want to save some cash, aren't in a huge rush and can get your bags to your hotel from 6th street downtown I say go for it.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
626 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

if you're staying downtown - and are staying near Bradley Center, you'll be fine. Are you coming for NCAA? As always - just use common sense, esp. if you're out and drinking at night. Have a safe trip here and a great time!

Bus is $2.00

I think the Amtrak is like $6.00, so you could try that route as well, but might have to walk further to your hotel.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

Based on the activities you seem to have planned, you should be in safe areas pretty much the whole time you're here. Like the other posters said, just use common sense like you would in other big cities and you should be fine. There are definitely some dodgy areas of the city, just like any other, but I would hesitate to say "stay away from the area of this street to that street" to avoid sterotyping one particular area of the city, as is often done with our hyper-segregated city. If you have concerns about one particular area, ask us and we'll give you some tips.

Boston...
Level Contributor
211 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

Thanks for all the tips everyone, feel free to toss anything out there, even if you think it may be a small non important piece of info. Were coming for the Celtics game, the AC/DC show and just to have a fun weekend in general. I wish the Brewers were home that weekend playing anyone, there in Chicago which isnt that far away, but we dont have enough time to break it up. Two summers ago when the Brew Crew came to Boston, a shitload of you came down, and myself and my friends partied down with a ton of cool people from the city, we couldnt believe how many Brewers fans made the trip. Got the Harley Museum, and the Lakefront Brewery as other thigns to do, and still trying to see what else we can fit into our schedule. We want to hit some pubs and bars, hang with locals and drink good beer by night, and sight see during the day, going to be a fun 3 days rain or shine!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

You guys will probably want to split your drinking sessions between North Avenue, Water Street, Brady Street, and Old World Third Street.

some of these spots are a bit touristy (not where you'd find me), but you can drink for cheap, meet young lasses, etc.

cheers!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
626 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

Great Lakes Distillery also offers tours (and they're right across from the very cool Iron Horse Hotel). I think they even have license to offer tastings now too. Check their website. You could tie this day in your HD museum day as they are all very near one another.

If the weather is good during the day- you can also rent bicycles and ride along the lakefront, or kayaks and canoes from Laacke and Joys. If you're that motivated!

Boston...
Level Contributor
211 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

Thats a possibility bout kayaking and canoeing if weather is good. You guys named some St's to hit for Pubs are Taverns, can you through me some good ones that arent too touristy, and more locals?? Were not into the night club/dancing scene. More or less good local crowds with some energy. Toss in some ones youd not go to either, just inca se, thanks!!!!!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

I mentioned some of those streets having "touristy" bars. I don't know if that was the right word. Most of the bars will have locals in them, and most of them are shots and beers places, not martini spots. The only reason some folks my (and your) age don't go there are the young crowds and/or crappy music.

If you guys hit some of those areas, you'll definitely find what you're looking for. If there is one thing Milwaukee offers, it's plenty of bars!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,633 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

I think you will find mostly locals in downtown bars, with the possible exception of hotel bars. Milwaukee is not a big tourist destination in the spring. If there are people from out of town they will probably be from small towns in Wisconsin visiting the big city for a weekend.

One other thing I should have mentioned is Friday night fish fry. If you are in town for dinner on Friday most every restaurant serves a fish fry, which is basically fried cod or haddock with french fries and sometimes potato pancakes, in the German tradition.

Turner Hall on 4th street right across the street from the Bradley Center is a good spot for a fish fry and it has a nice bar. Lakefront brewery is also a good place for a fish fry.

I mentioned some bars in your other post, I think. If you want a nice neighborhood type bar in downtown Milwaukee try Rosie's on Water. It is next to the Water Street Brewery, which I also mentioned.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

Everyone's given you some great suggestions for where to go!

Just to throw it out there, if you're looking for a good "locals" area, maybe take a cab to State St. in Wauwatosa (the first 'burb to the west of Milwaukee, it's about a 7-10 minute ride from downtown-- well, I can drive it in 7...). There are 3 or 4 good drinking spots that I would recommend, and on the weekends they always have good crowds-- not too young, not too old. Leff's Luckytown, Hector's, and Colonel Harts are all within 2 blocks of each other and could be fun options.

If you did that, you could also take the 31 bus out to 'Tosa, but I would cab it back downtown. That route is okay during the day and would probably be okay after hours, too, but it goes straight through some slightly more dicey neighborhoods.

FYI I'm the DE who likes to pull people out to my 'Tosa... :)

Edited: 17 February 2010, 14:41