We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

Boston...
Level Contributor
211 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

Another couple questions guys, it looks simple enough on the Milwaukee Transit sites. It looks like bus Rt # 80 goes straight downtown from the airport near the Bradley center where Im staying, would this be correct? Does anyone have a rough ETA on how long it takes to get from airport to downtown, and vice versa? And are there areas we should want to avoid either at night, or all together, thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
626 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

If I had to pick "local" bars, here is where I would go per neighborhood. Some of them will still draw in tourists, but they are fun places:

Old World Third Street: Old German Beer Hall. On Fridays they tap a free keg at 6:00. Get pretzels and landjagers here, cheap! The Brat House on this street is also a fun stop. Buck Bradley's for the "longest bar".

Third Ward: We love the counter at St. Paul's Fish Company - but being that you're from out East, you might want to pass. Directly across the street, however, is the Wicked Hop, which has incredible bloody Marys. Milwaukee Ale House along the River would also be a good stop to try local beer and have a view of the river. Sometimes we get blessed with an unusually warm spring day (last year St. Pat's was 70 degrees!)

Milwaukee Street:

I typically don't hang out over here, bars are too shi-shi-la la for me. I like Cubanitas for the food, and if Zen on 7 is open at Hotel Metro (rooftop) kind of a cool spot. Though you should dip into the historic Pfister Hotel at Mason Street, take the elevator up to Blu, and get a great view of the city.

Jackson/Cathedral Square area:

Another area I don't frequent too often - but Taylor's is an old hot spot, Elsa's unique burger joint is where the famous go (drinks expensive though), and I've heard good things about the Whiskey Bar.

On your way to Brady Street, you might want to hit the pub at County Clare Inn. Often have live music on weekend.

Brady Street:

The Nomad and Jo-Cats pub. There is also a new firehouse bar that looks interesting. If you want something hipper, go to Hi-Hat Garage.

I would recommend ending up at Brady Street so you can "Close Wolski's". I'd let you try to figure out how to find it and what that means.

If you make it up to North Avenue - Landmark Lanes, the YNot, Von Trier and Vitucci's are all good bets. Good cheap eats at Hooligans. Riverwest has some unique hangouts as well - the Tracks, Linneman's, Stonefly, the Foundation, Art Bar....

Fifth Ward/Walker's Point - Steny's for hot wings. Or Zad's - a third shifter bar if you find you need a drink around 7 or 8:00 a.m. I also like Slim McGinn's for food.

Bay View - pretty much anything - Bar LuLu, Highbury (soccer pub), Sugar Maple for excellent craft beer selection, Club Garibaldi, Burnhearts, Bay View Brew Haus.

Water Street - this is the most "college" based street, but Rosie's is an old stand by with good Happy Hour.

Directly downtown, I like the Newsroom Pub and Grille, which will connect you to the SafeHouse.

Now if you wanted to really get yourself all over the city and find some historic bars/pubs - here are a few:

Wolskis (already mentioned)

Koz's Mini Bowl

The Greenleaf

Ray & Dots

Holler House

The White House Bay View

Swinging Door

Fourth Base

At Random or Bryants (cocktail lounges)

Sadly, one of our most historic bars, the Landmark 1850 Inn, has been closed for a few years, and I still can't figure out why.

Mentioned in this post
Old German Beer Hall
Old German Beer Hall
224 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee Brat House
Milwaukee Brat House
443 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Buck Bradley's
Buck Bradley's
151 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Wicked Hop
Wicked Hop
337 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee Ale House
Milwaukee Ale House
436 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
Hotel Metro
Hotel Metro
471 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
The Pfister Hotel
The Pfister Hotel
2,091 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Mason Street Grill
Mason Street Grill
619 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Brady Street
Brady Street
148 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
SafeHouse
SafeHouse
1,193 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
626 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

oh, also - to avoid cabs, the #15 bus will run right through downtown - from Water Street - takes you through 3rd and 5th ward, as well as all the way down into Bay View. And back. Might be a good option for "getting there", then you could cab back. Also you have to call cabs in our city - tough to "hail them".

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,600 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

Kudos to Ms Milltown, what an impressive list.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

No kidding! I'd go with some of her recommendations. Holy crap.

Chicago
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

Is "Timers" still going. I remember it as one of the only "perfect" bars I have ever been to.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

I wouldn't worry about parts of town to avoid. There are areas on the Northwest side that can be pretty rough, but I don't see any reason why you would end up there.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

Timers is no longer. It is now called the Generals, but I have no clue if it's anything like Timers used to be, with dancing on the tables and bar.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
626 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

I haven't heard too good of things about Generals, sadly. And I wish they would clean their windows!

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
121 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

The bus actually costs $2.25 now.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
626 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Bus Rt to Downtown and Area's to avoid

huh. If you're in a group - cheaper to take a taxi. Way to go MCTS.