We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midway Airport - How do I get there by Bus?

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oostburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
270 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Midway Airport - How do I get there by Bus?

Southwest Airlines and others fly out of Midway in Chicago. CoachUSA bus used to provide service there (after Ohare). But they have now stopped their service to Midway. Do you know of the best way? I understand you can drive to Madison, park your car, and there is a bus (Van Gander or something close). But that seems too far to drive.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,364 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midway Airport - How do I get there by Bus?

Southwest is now flying out of Milwaukee.

I have always avoided Midway because it is just too far to get to reasonably for me.

I have heard there are hotels around Midway that offer free parking if you spend the night. So, if you have a morning flight you could stay at a hotel the night before and get free parking.

If you can't drive the only option I can think of is Amtrak or Greyhound to downtown Chicago and an L train to Midway.

I was not aware that Coach discontinued Midway service. When did that happen? Maybe it is in conjunction with Southwest starting to fly out of Milwaukee. Air Tran is also big at Midway, I believe, and they also have increased Milwaukee service.

I am not sure where you are flying to, but flight prices out of Milwaukee are very competitive to many destinations.

I flew to Reno a few years ago and that was expensive out of Milwaukee. I found a cheap flight out of O'Hare and took the Coach bus. It was still a real pain.

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Midway Airport - How do I get there by Bus?

They stopped it Feb. 22, as the OP indicated at the time on the Chicago board. I think your only realistic options are the Amtrak downtown and then the Orange Line to Midway, or the Omega shuttle service between O'Hare and Midway. I've never taken it myself, so have no opinion as to reliability, etc.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
514 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Midway Airport - How do I get there by Bus?

www.airportexpress.com/shuttles/midway.html

I agree with Przyk about using Southwest out of Milwaukee instead of Midway. But if you want to fly out of Midway, my suggestion would be to take AMTRAK from Milwaukee to Chicago Union Station and then use the airport express in the website above to get back to Midway. The airport express leaves every 15 minutes from a variety of hotels and businesses in downtown Chicago...not sure about Union Station. It does require reservations. And it is pretty reliable.

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Midway Airport - How do I get there by Bus?

If you are going to take Amtrak to get to Midway, you are definitely better off taking the orangeline el from downtown Chicago. Much faster abd cheaper, and it terminates at Midway. transitchicago.com/travel_information/trip_p…

5. Re: Midway Airport - How do I get there by Bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2010, 05:17