We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miller Park from Chicago

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Miller Park from Chicago

I will be going to Chicago on business in June and want to combine a visit to Milwaukee to see a game at Miller Park. I can fly in to Milwaukee and spend a night or 2 before my business meetings but what is the best way to get to Chicago? If I fly into Milwaukee, where is the best area to stay and what else should we do besides baseball? I've looked into train service to Chicago Sun. which sounds good and would avoid a rental car but we are not opposed to that if it's more convenient.

Thanks so much!

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
857 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miller Park from Chicago

You have 3 options on where you can stay. By the airport, downtown or out in Brookfield. All have their pluses and minuses for attending games. You best bet would probally be to stay downtown at a hotel that you could catch a Brewers Shuttle to, or to stay at a hotel near a bar that offers a shuttle. Staying downtown would also increase your selection of local resturants.

If you plan on driving to the game, you could stay in Brookfield, which is about a 10 min. drive to Miller Park. There is also a big selection of resturaunts there, but it's mostly chain's.

If you give us a date, we'd be more able to let you know what's going on. We're just about to enter our festival season, so there could be alot to do depending on your dates.

Edited: 13 April 2010, 20:00
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miller Park from Chicago

That was a big help already, thanks! We would be there June 12-13. I think the MAM is a must see for us so not sure how much more we would be able do on a weekend visit. We would fly into Milwaukee either Friday or Saturday and stay 1 or 2 nights then take train to Chicago.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
857 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miller Park from Chicago

Unfortunately, you don't luck out and get a really good festival at the Summerfest grounds that weekend, (Unless you're into Pridefest).....

We have a couple great brewery tours...Miller, Lakefront & Sprecher. We also have the Harley Museum which has a resturaunt and gift shop attached.

There is also an outdoor mall just north of Milwaukee called Bayshore that has lots of good food, and shopping if you need to keep a couple hours occupied.

For something just that weekend, you have the

Our Lady Queen of Peace Church Festival

When: June 12-14 (rides open Thursday evening June 11)

Where: 2733 W. Euclid Ave.

Gathering Waters Festival

June 12, 2010 - June 12, 2010

Jun 12 - Jun 12

Lakeshore State Park

Phone: 414/263-8559

www.gatheringwatersfest.org

An urban outdoor experience on Milwaukee's lakefront. Enjoy REI paddle sports demos for canoeing & kayaking, DNR fish and fly fishing clinics - we supply the poles, Geocaching, Boat and bike rides, Rock wall, Kite flying, cool wellness and great lakes exhibits, rain garden & native plant fair, bike village with Wheel & Sprocket Bike demos, tune-ups, bike safety for kids, helmet fitting, trail maps, park passport with scavenger hunts for door prizes, loads of activities for kids & adults, picnic areas, great local food, beer and more available for purchase. Come to the park by foot, boat or bike. A summer kick-off event on Milwaukee's lakefront at Lakeshore State Park.Rip Tide beach party and music 11-7p.m.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
626 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Miller Park from Chicago

I would not get the rental car. As advised, use one of the local bars or hotel's shuttle services. You can walk to where you need/want to be downtown, especially if the weather is good in June. If your business meeting is downtown Chicago - take advantage of the Amtrak Hiawatha service. Convenient, especially considering all of the road construction between here and Chicago right now.

My advice though - get your Brewers tickets now!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Miller Park from Chicago

Ms Milltown makes a good point. Assuming your meeting is in downtown Chicago you won't need a car for your trip. If you are meeting in the Chicago suburbs you may need a car and then you might want to have it up here so you have more options.

Without a car make sure you stay in downtown Milwaukee.

The Milwaukee Art Museum has some interesting works, but you may not need more than a few hours to go thru it. They have a very nice cafe for lunch too.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Miller Park from Chicago

What about a trip to see Taliesin? Their site says about 2 1/2 hour drive from Milwaukee?

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Miller Park from Chicago

The drive to Taliesin would be doable in a day. I assume you have a keen interest in Frank Lloyd Wright or architecture in general.

The trip would take you through Madison, which would be great for dinner if you have the time. There is a Frank Lloyd Wright designed convention center on Lake Monona in downtown Madison that is worth a see if you are in the area.

The drive between Milwaukee and Madison is flat to rolling hills and not very exciting. The scenery west of Madison is nicer.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Miller Park from Chicago

Yes, I'm an architect and my family probably wishes I would stop dragging them to visit his works! So maybe staying overnight in Madison and having dinner there instead of driving back to Milwaukee would make more sense?

Thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,334 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Miller Park from Chicago

You can see enough FLW in and around Chicago. A side trip to Madison may be too much for your short itinerary.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Miller Park from Chicago

You can't see Taliesin in Chicago.

Speaking of Frank Loyd Wright the Greek Orthodox church in Wauwatosa, a suburb of Milwaukee is also a very interesting Wright designed building.

Madison is a very cool town, so you could have an enjoyable evening there.