We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish Fry buffet recommendation (MILWAUKEE) this weekend

New York
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Fish Fry buffet recommendation (MILWAUKEE) this weekend

Just passing through after many years; wanted to sample the current fish fry recommendations:

I like unpretentious, good value places:

For this FRi, May 14, south of town, if possible, close tO Oak Creek, what is best?

Also, if I arrive too late on Fri, can a good fish buffet still be had? if so, where?

thanks in advance!!!!

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fish Fry buffet recommendation (MILWAUKEE) this weekend

www.serbhall.com/s1/index.php… Serb Hall is a good option

www.serbhall.com/s1/index.php…

here's one reviewed in Oak Creek that may interest you:

Erv's:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ervs-mug-oak-creek

www.ervsmug.com

Edited: 12 May 2010, 15:58
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,651 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fish Fry buffet recommendation (MILWAUKEE) this weekend

Erv's is the first place I thought of when you said oak Creek.

Although your title says fish fry buffet. Many places serve all you can eat fish fry, but it's generally brought to the table by a waitress, not buffet style.

You can find fish fry on every day menus at some restaurants, but certainly not all of them.

WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fish Fry buffet recommendation (MILWAUKEE) this weekend

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60149-d44… TA reviews of Erv's

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60097-d55… Serb Hall TA reviews.

I have not been to Erv's but have been to Serb Hall several times and have enjoyed it every time.

milwaukeefishfrylist.com/…

Milwaukee area fish fries.

onmilwaukee.com/dining/articles/milwaukeefis… local guide/recommendations

I've been to Clifford's in Hales Corners and enjoyed it years ago but I couldn't attest to now, there are two split reviews here on TA:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g59940-d86…

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fish Fry buffet recommendation (MILWAUKEE) this weekend

There's a place in Franksville, just 10 or 15 minutes south of Oak Creek called Cabbageheads. It's a typical Wisconsin tavern with the best food anywhere. Fish fry is AWESOME! Take Hwy 38 south to Hwy K, turn righ (actually a roundabout)t and go about 1 1/2 miles west to downtown RR tracks. Just before tracks, turn right and it's right there.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
857 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fish Fry buffet recommendation (MILWAUKEE) this weekend

Hands down Erv's if you're in Oak Creek. The whole Erv's experience is a perfect example of what Friday Fish is all about around here...IMO

New York
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fish Fry buffet recommendation (MILWAUKEE) this weekend

So we went first to Cabbagehead's as recommended; here is what happened: the bartender put us off immediately as she was unkempt and

quite overweight, then she was surly and brusque as we inquired about the menu; the other patrons were unfriendly and uncooperative; the bartendcer seemed to have time only for the regulars (her conversation included the neat little tidbit: "I love it when my parents are away; I can run the bar my way." When we asked directions to Serb Hall, she shouted "I don't know!!"

There kis no fish buffet here, only afew platters.

No one was eating fish; the hamburger we saw served was unappealing.

Most patrons were red-faced and inebreated. We exited stage left immediately after one drink.

We went to Serb Hall and had a fantastic buffett!! Highly recommended!!

BTW, there is a speed trap/dui trap right out side the bar on the 1/2 mile road back to the interstate. (Police hiding inj the culvert!!)) To catch all the drunks leaving the bar, I imagine!!

WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fish Fry buffet recommendation (MILWAUKEE) this weekend

I'm glad you posted back where you went and your thoughts. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed Serb Hall. We've always enjoyed it but it's hard to know what others are looking for or if they'll like it too.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,651 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fish Fry buffet recommendation (MILWAUKEE) this weekend

Sorry about your experience at Cabbage Heads. I had never heard of it. I guess I won't be making the drive to Franksville to try it out any time soon.

The only thing left out of your description was how smoky the bar was, I can only imagine from the rest of your description.

At least you found Serb Hall eventually.

9. Re: Fish Fry buffet recommendation (MILWAUKEE) this weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2010, 05:16