We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report- One Long Day in The City of Beer

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
606 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report- One Long Day in The City of Beer

We ended up spending only one day in Milwaukee. Started the day on the River Walk down in the Third Ward. It was easy to find and walk, since we were the only one there. Grabbed a cup of coffee in the Market, which as others have said, is a disappointment. This is a very touristy spot, not worth the time, but good coffee and friendly folks. The River Walk is pleasant, but not much happening in the morning. It certainly is not worth a tirp. Next on to the Busch Mansion. This is a very interesting place with docents who give a good view of the history. It is tastefully being restored to its former glory and was worth the trip. Then off to the Public Museum to see the Dead Sea Scroll exhibit. Unfortunately we had tickets to the IMAX, thinking it would be enlightening regarding the scrolls. Instead, it was a poorly done commentary on the area the scrolls were found and mostly a sky show about where the stars are in the sky. Good if you are into astronomy, not so good if you just have a few hours. Advice: skip this. The exhibit itself was good, some original pieces of the scrolls, and you get a good idea of the times they were written in and then the exhibit goes into bibles, many types. So if you like this kind of thing, it is worth it. It was very crowded, but not so bad that you could not get around to all that you want to see. Next off to the north a bit to Brady Street. Not at all worth it. Yes, a few quaint shops. Then to Old World Third Street. Yes, a few bars and old German restaurants. We turned to each other at this point and said " Back to Chicago!!!". Milwaukee I am sure is worth a trip when there is a beer or music festival, but our overall impression was this is a nice quiet town to raise a family, but small town feel and a bit on the boring side. I know we did not give it a fair longer time viewing, but honestly, we had enough and were glad to get back to Chicago and excitement.

ZB

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,217 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report- One Long Day in The City of Beer

Sorry to hear that you feel you wasted a whole day of your life in our city. At least you didn't spend the night. Imagine how boring that would have been.

Edited: 29 May 2010, 04:11
Milwaukee
Level Contributor
857 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report- One Long Day in The City of Beer

I'll take my "Boring" city over getting stuck in a 3 hour traffic jam on a Sunday. It would have probally helped if you didn't pick boring things to do!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
606 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report- One Long Day in The City of Beer

I did not say waste, just boring. I am sure we did not give it a fair shake as we were only there for one day. But this is our honest to goodness opinion of our first trip to Milwaukee.

ZB

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,217 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report- One Long Day in The City of Beer

Right, waste was my word not yours.

I will say that I do wish people would stop recommending River Walk as a destination. There are some restaurants on the walk, but it is basically a pedestrian path for people who work or live along the river. Many people seem to be attracted to the Fonzie statue and you may encounter some other urban artwork, but it's basically a pedestrian walkway.

I have thought about that in the past, but basically left it alone when people recommend visitors go to the River Walk. Based on your feedback I will try to do a better job of giving visitors a more realistic idea of what the walk is and is not.

As for the 3rd Ward and Brady Street. To me those are places to wander and find a great place to eat. You won't find any national chain clothing stores, but you may run across a specialty shop of interest, or maybe not.

I looked at your prior post about Milwaukee and you were looking for restaurants and brew pubs. Perhaps if you had spent some time in the pubs you would have gotten a different feel for Milwaukee. Of course, if you were driving back that would not have been a good idea.

Many people from Chicago find Milwaukee a nice getaway for the mixture of things to do without the congestion and cost of a big city like Chicago, New York or Las Vegas. Outside of Summerfest and other major festivals people usually don't come here to look for the hustle and bustle of a place like Chicago, they come her to get away from it

Edited: 29 May 2010, 15:17
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
606 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report- One Long Day in The City of Beer

Thanks Przyk. I think you are absolutely right. We intend to return for a beer or music festival and do the pub beer German heritage scene. My better half corrected the mansion, it was Pabst, not Busch. So close yet so far away. Agree about the River Walk. Brady Street probably is much better late in the day than at 4 PM!

ZB

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report- One Long Day in The City of Beer

I would have never planned for such a boring day here in our city! There is so much more to see and do . . . reading your trip report bored me.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
626 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report- One Long Day in The City of Beer

i am one of those people that recommends the Riverwalk - but Przyk you raise a good point. I think some people may get the impression that it is a destination - or more of a tourist attraction such as San Antonio's Riverwalk. I like to recommend it so people get a different view point of the city - from the water; because it connects the neighborhoods - from the North End where you can access Water or Old World Third Streets, downtown, and the best section - the Third Ward; for the artwork, and just for a nicer way to get around.

Thanks zabriski for giving Milwaukee a try - hope you come back and try again when we're open for business ;-)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report- One Long Day in The City of Beer

Thanks for the trip report, as those of us in this forum appreciate getting feedback from folks like you who looked to our advice when planning your trip.

That being said, it is unfortunate that you did not have a more exciting time in our city. I've had friends who live in Chicago come up here and have experiences that range from wonderful to okay to ones like yours-- it's the ones like yours that I have to wonder if you've come up here with a completely open mind. Milwaukee isn't Chicago, so just make sure when (if) you come up again you remember that. It's great that you enjoy Chicago so much, as I do, too. But come and give Milwaukeee another chance when there is more to do or when you have more time. I grew up in the Chicago suburbs going downtown at least once a month, and can honestly say I like Milwaukee a hell of a lot better on a day-to-day basis than most parts of Chicago.

Wauwatosa...
Level Contributor
24 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report- One Long Day in The City of Beer

I actually think you picked some boring events based on bad suggestions. The architecture of the Milwaukee Art Museum is beautiful and I highly recommend a trip there (though I love the Art Institute's collections more than Milwaukee's). The Mitchell Park Domes are unusual and fabulous, and Miller Park is a beautiful newer baseball stadium.

For lunch, I love Botanas on 5th Street. There are a lot of great mexican restaurants in that area (5th and National).

I spend most of my time in the suburb where I live but do enjoy a trip to the Third Ward. I enjoy the shops and Public Market.

Finally, there are some really gorgeous hiking areas in the Milwaukee area. Schlitz Audobon is really gorgeous as well as the Kettle Moraine. That is a bit of a drive. Cedarburg has some quaint shops and an old Mill and winery. That is about 30-40 minutes north of Milwaukee.

For trips outside of Milwaukee, I would never recommend the Wisconsin Dells (gorgeous area but a tourist trap) or the House on the Rock (run!) but rather suggest Spring Green, Madison, and Lake Geneva.

Milwaukee is a bit more low-key than your lovely Chicago. However, it might be right up your alley if you visit during the festivals. I don't like Summerfest anymore (too old/?!) but enjoy Festa Italiana, Irishfest and the Wisconsin State Fair.

Please come visit again.

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report- One Long Day in The City of Beer

A trip to Milwaukee without stopping at Usinger's (yum) or getting some frozen custard from Leon's, Kopp's or Gillie's (double-yum) - no wonder you didn't like your day up there!