We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Help

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
252 posts
252 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Help

I am thinking of traveling to Milwaukee for 4th of July weekend from StLouis. Drive in Friday night (its 6 1/2 hrs according to Google). Priceline a hotel in the downtown area. It will be my wife and our infant (very easy babay, quiet).

Anyway, Sat I plan to go to the botanical gardens and the domes....any other ideas?

Sun (July 4) I would like to drive to Green bay and tour Lambeau Field and eat at Bretts resturant (hopefully both are open). Then back to Milwaukee for fireworks that evening...

Drive back on Monday.

Thoughts? Is this to much?

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Help

I think that's a doable plan Green Bay is a couple hours from the Milwaukee area. That is if all is open and check your times by calling and you should be fine. Green Bay is a fun area too. But you don't want to go to crazy and it's a holiday anyway. Some locals will chime in with motel ideas for the area or check past posts in the Milwaukee forums for good input as well as TA reviews: tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60097-Milwaukee_Wisc…

What are your other interests there's plenty other Milwaukee ideas to keep you busy, depending on how long you spend at the Domes and botanical gardens you'll likely have a bit of time to do other stuff. You could try Bradford Beach for a walk along Lake Michigan or just drive along the lakeshore. There's many great museums and other outdoor places to enjoy.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
626 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Help

Milwaukee's Fireworks are the evening of the 3rd, but you can easily check out the fireworks for any surrounding community as well.

It sounds as if you enjoy nature. If so, try the Lynden Sculpture Garden, which is now open to the public on a more frequent basis.

www.lyndensculpturegarden.org/index.html

Also the Villa Terrace gardens.

I second Bradford Beach - but if it's hot out, it might get very crowded. On your way up or back from Green Bay you could check out the Kohler Andrae State Park or Harrington Beach State Park, also along Lake Michigan.

Summerfest will be happening as well.

Have a great time while here!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,209 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Help

I am not sure how open Milwaukee hotels will be as that is the closing weekend of Summerfest. You might run into some noise issues at hotels too as partiers return after Summerfest.

If you find a hotel and decide to come here expect traffic to be rough and the Lakefront will likely be gridlocked on the 3rd.

Milwaukee has a very nice zoo in the suburbs west of downtown, so that's another option for something to do if you do make it here.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
857 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Help

From Downtown, you're about an hour and a half from Lambeau Field, so definately doable to drive there and back in a day.

While you're in Green Bay, there is an amusement park called "Bay Beach"....rides for all ages, all ride tickets are 25 cents, and take 1 or 2 tickets.

I would honestly skip Favre's for food, and just stay at Lambeau Field and eat at Curly's in the Atrium. I think you get better food, and more choices, IMO. It's still easy to vist Favre's though.

www.ci.green-bay.wi.us/BayBeach/index.html

On a side note....PLEASE don't take your infant to Summerfest after 4:00 PM if you go. It's not really a place for kids to begin with, but after 4:00...it's alot harder to get around the grounds, and having a stroller will make it twice as bad.

Edited: 07 June 2010, 14:31
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
252 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Help

Thanks for all the advice. Definitely not going to Summerfest: it is too expensive, likely too much party-atmosphere for a baby, and likely not much for a family with a little one to do. Anyway, I do want to see the 7/3 fireworks....where is a good place to view them (not within Summerfest)?

Here is the itinerary thus far:

Friday July 2nd

Drive STL to MIL

Saturday July 3rd

The Domes

Boerner Botanical Gardens

Harley Davidson Museum

Fireworks

Sunday July 4th

Drive to Green Bay/Lambeau Field

Bradford Beach

Monday July 5th

Drive MIL to STL

Any thoughts? Am I missing a big attraction? Im a big Packers fan (well, temporary Vikings fan), so Lambeau is really the highlight of the trip.

WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Help

After the Botanical Gardens while in the area and depending on what part of the day you're there enjoy a burger and custard here: www.kopps.com, the 76th and Layton location. Dine outdoors in this unique location, you'll see why when you get here, they have interesting architecture (they just have benches, no tables). There's great custard too! Or go for pizza at Organ Piper Pizza for a unique experience and up the road to Kopp's for dessert: http://www.organpiperpizza.com/

Edited: 07 June 2010, 18:17
WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Help

Also after/before Boerner do a drive through in Whitnall Park where Boerner is located. It's a nice little drive. Also Wehr Nature Center is close to Boerner within Whitnall as well. Enjoy your visit.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
252 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Help

I've updated our plans. We likely will stay at the Marriott West by the way (downtown is too expensive that weekend, plus parking). Anyway, where is a good place to view the US Bank Fireworks?

Saturday July 3

The Domes (9am – 4pm)

Kopps Frozen Custard (Lunch)

Boerner Botanical Gardens (8am – 6pm)

Organ Piper Pizza (Dinner)

Fireworks - where is the best place to see these???? (9pm)

Sunday July 4

Lambeau Field

Curlys (Lunch)

Bay Beach Amusement Park (10am – 9pm)

Brett Favre's Steakhouse (dinner)

Thanks again for all the help!

WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Help

Bay Beach is an excellent choice. I didn't want to overwhelm you with things to do in Green Bay but I'm glad someone else suggested it and you're fitting it in. It has an excellent location on the water and is a quiet amusement park, nice and spread out. It's the perfect size. The adult rides are all 2 tickets or 50 cents and the little kid rides a quarter, or one ticket. Your youngster sounds too young for even these (infant). It's a great park! You can even enjoy the concessions guilt free as they're SO cheap. For future reference if you're into trains there's a great railroad museum there, the National Railroad Museum. Hu hot for dining is a unique (chain) restaurant springing up where you pick your ingredients and watch them as they take your dish choices and grill them up www.huhot.com

Sounds like you have a fun plan I hope you hear more input on the fireworks.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
252 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Help

Thanks again for all the help. We have a similar place to Hulu in STL (www.genghisgrill.com). But Kopps and Organ Piper seem like perfect fits for us (unique, baby/kid friendly, good food), so we will for sure stop there.

I think we will skip Brett Favres based on what everyone has suggested and after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor (bad food, expensive, and fancy - so not baby friendly)....

Any other suggestions? In Green Bay or MIL for dinner?