We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite pizza in WIsconsin

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite pizza in WIsconsin

We have lived almost forever in Madison, but my favorite place for pizza is in Milwaukee. Everytime we go to Milwaukee (about once a month), I don't try to wrangle an evening at Milwaukee's latest trendy restaurant but rather tell my husband that I want to go again to his high school hangout, Mama Mia's. I believe it's on Burleigh, Lisbon. It's the original. There are other Mama Mia's, one on Blue Mound, another on Silver Spring, but for the best pizza with the most toppings (one night I thought we got a whole can (yet, can - not fresh, but many and delicious) with our SMO (sausage, mushroom and onion). BTW, we can't stand the one on Silver Spring. The one on Blue Mound is equal with their garlic bread..maybe even better.. but not as generous on pizza toppings.

BTW, the appetizer before the pizza is their terrifc garlic bread. Something special in its self.

I should add the pizza is thin crust.

Sun Prairie, WI
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite pizza in WIsconsin

Had to make a coment on this posting. I was born and raised in Cudahy, WI a suburb of Milwaukee. If you want the best pizza ever try PaPa Lugi on Layton Ave in Cudahy. I have tried many places in Madison where I live now and haven't found any better. I am 34 years old now and have been going there since I can remember. (usto live across the street) The crust is thin and there is noting like it in the US!

Try it and you will see what I mean.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,363 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite pizza in WIsconsin

You may have started something with this post. I agree Mama Mia's has great pizza, I have never been to Papa Luigi in Cudahy, but my favorite in Milwaukee (actually Wauwatosa) is Balistreri's.

I also like Lisa's on the eastside, but declaring any one of these the best pizza is very subjective. They are all great.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,363 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite pizza in WIsconsin

I forgot to add my old standby for pizza in Madison is Gino's on State street.

milwaukee, wi
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite pizza in WIsconsin

Pizza Man on Oakland & North!

Lost
Level Contributor
773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite pizza in WIsconsin

DIMARINIS in Bayview. The one on Conway, not the other one a few blocks away. There was a feud between family members a few years back. The one on Conway is owned by the brothers. The other one is owned by their mother. Better than any of the places previously mentioned! (Although I do like Mama Mia's lasagna)

Ann's in Hales Corners is pretty good also! The owner is a j*rk, but he can be funny to watch in action. He can sometimes put on a hissy fit in front of customers. (Emphasis on hissy)

Janesville...
Level Contributor
443 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite pizza in WIsconsin

One of my favorite places for pizza is Barbieres near 56th and Bluemound (it is close to Miller Park). They also have the best garlic bread and antipasto salad around. I can't wait to go again.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite pizza in WIsconsin

Have you noticed the Papa Murphy's Take-and-Bake chain stores in the area? There's one on the border of New Berlin and West Allis in the western suburbs. I'm sure that more are starting to crop up. They're quite a deal. It's the best pizza that I've ever had anywhere near Milwaukee. [might sound kind of sad, but it's not that bad]

For better pizza, I head to Chicago.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite pizza in WIsconsin

I would rank them in no particular order, except for #1 which is Pizza Man-Oakland and North Ave., on the east side by far (great wine list too).

Ann's-Hales Corners, Maria's-near SW milwaukee on Forest Home, Balistreri's in Wauwatosa, Ricardo's in Greendale.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite pizza in WIsconsin

Papa Murphy's has a place in our neighbhorhood, and I veto the tomato sauce that is the base. Too sweet?

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite pizza in WIsconsin

P.S. If you like Chicago's pizza, you probably prefer deep dish. I like a thin crust.