We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milwaukee to Door County

Phoenix, Arizona
3 posts
Save Topic
Milwaukee to Door County

We are arriving in Milwaukee for a trip to door county, but we don't get in until 7pm-ish at night - is it better to stay in downtown Milwaukee and hit a pub or two the night we arrive, or are there any nice small coastal towns we should aim for the night we arrive?

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milwaukee to Door County

I'd recommend Port Washington as an option for you:

http://www.portwashingtontourism.com/

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g60200-Port_Washingt…

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,811 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milwaukee to Door County

You could certainly have a nice dinner and evening in Milwaukee and drive to Door County the next morning.

Sheboygan is not really a small town, but it would be a stopping point about an hour north of Milwaukee. Port Washington is a nice little town on Lake Michigan closer than Sheboygan.

The PGA Championship golf tournament will be held west of Sheboygan Aug. 11th thu the 15th. This is a major event, so if you happen to be coming at that time hotel rooms will probably not be available.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,020 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milwaukee to Door County

I think it's a mattr of personal preference--we'd rather get to our destination, even late at night, and wake up there our first real vacation day.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
857 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milwaukee to Door County

I would say you should stay in Milwaukee and drive up the next morning. Sturgeon Bay is an 2-1/2 hours from Milwaukee. Odds are, you won't get out of the airport until 7:45-8:00 by the time you claim bags (known to be slow) and rent a car. Why pay for an overpriced room in Door County that you won't be able to enjoy that night, when you can relax in Milwaukee for a night, get up early the next day and drive up. Plus, if you leave early enough, there's NOTHING like driving up to the Door with the sun coming up over the lake...

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milwaukee to Door County

It depends. If you want to do city stuff your first night then stay in Milwaukee. If you want to get out of town then I would spend the first night in Port Washington.

If you decide to do the early morning drive up the lake then exit at Manitowoc and take Hwy 42 to Algoma, then take Cty S to Sturgeon Bay. Hwy 43, while efficient, is kinda dull.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,327 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Milwaukee to Door County

I also suggest stopping along the way, Port, Sheboygan or Manitowoc are options. Depending where you're staying in the Door, you may even have to add an extra hour on. It's drivable but I'd also consider where you're staying and it's location. Is it on the main highways or more rural? It may be a bit tricky getting there for the first time at night. We also prefer the back roads to I43 but usually go up one way, and down the other.

7. Re: Milwaukee to Door County

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2011, 05:17