We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Astor vs Knickerbocker vs Comfort Inn

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Astor vs Knickerbocker vs Comfort Inn

Hi all, we are planning on staying at one of these hotels this Saturday night. All are within walking distance from a wedding reception we are attending. We won't be in the room much at all except to get dressed and then come back to sleep. That said, my husband and I rarely get a night out without the kids so it would be fun to stay somewhere a little special. Anyone have any strong feelings or should price prevail? The Knick is $110, the other 2 are closer to $90. Any guidance would be great. The reviews on this site seem pretty mixed.

thanks for your help!

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,137 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Astor vs Knickerbocker vs Comfort Inn

boy those reviews sure are mixed from what I've read....I'm not familiar with any of the locations having not stayed in Milwaukee due to having family close by, but I will say this I've always been pleased with a stay at Comfort Inn/Suites. If you do think you want more of a special treat even I've heard lots about Iron Horse that's positive (it just received some accolades I posted about in the Milwaukee forum). That being said I'm gathering you want to stay in the vicinity of the wedding reception. If you were up for extending your stay area options then perhaps give Iron Horse a whirl. http://www.theironhorsehotel.com/

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,364 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Astor vs Knickerbocker vs Comfort Inn

The Knickerbocker and Astor are probably 100 years old. Some people find this charming, others see it as dirty, dark, and not suitable for modern living. The Comfort Suites is more typical of a modern hotel, but its 30 or 40 years old. I think you will find great variance in different rooms at the Astor or Knick.

Based on the prices I have to guess it's a slow week end. If that's the case you probably have a better chance of getting one of the nicer decorated or bigger rooms in the Astor or Knick.

Maybe if the older hotels appeal to you you could call and get a better idea of the type of room you would get.

Perhaps if you have some drinks at the wedding and fun dancing any hotel you decide on will enable you to have a special evening away from the kids.

Edited: 21 September 2010, 05:15
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Astor vs Knickerbocker vs Comfort Inn

I can only speak for the Knick, since it's the only one I've been in, but I understand it's the same "idea" as the Astor. Both hotels have condo-owned rooms that the people "rent" through the hotel. There are also permanent residents at each. I've never been in the Comfort Inn, so I can't speak for that one.

I'd go with either the Knick or the Astor, based on you saying that it's only a minor price difference. The Knick rooms are all nice, very homey, and each is different, and being a slow weekend you may even get a room with a nice view of Lake Michigan.

I have no idea if my input helped... But have fun wherever you decide to stay!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
626 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Astor vs Knickerbocker vs Comfort Inn

Is County Clare full? I would opt for that first if staying in that area.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
997 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Astor vs Knickerbocker vs Comfort Inn

I agree with the County Clare. It is an Irish Inn. Four poster beds, whirl pool tubs and good breakfast included. It's just 1 block from the Knic and the Astor.

6. Re: Astor vs Knickerbocker vs Comfort Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2011, 05:18