We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute trip advice needed

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute trip advice needed

My family has decided to take a last minute weekend trip to Milwaukee. We have an 11 year old and a dog. Found the Comfort Suites near the airport takes dogs for no fee, has a pool, free parking, and it seems to have good reviews on TA. Any downside to staying in that area? We are looking at doing the following: Public Market, Discovery World, Brady Street, Third Ward and eat at the Safe House. Any other suggestions for off-beat things of interest? Also, any areas to avoid? Milwaukee seems like a very safe city, but coming from Chicago, there are definitely a few areas that I wouldn't wander around in at night with my daughter. Thanks for any advice you can share.

Mentioned in this post
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
Milwaukee Public Market
Milwaukee Public Market
798 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Discovery World
Discovery World
465 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Brady Street
Brady Street
145 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute trip advice needed

find the Fonzie statue or go to the Harley Davidson museum. A stop at Kopp's for a burger and custard is great. Others can chime in about areas to avoid. Discovery World is great. There are other museums too but sounds like you already have a good list to work with. I still think the Domes are neat and unique/worthwhile and you don't have to spend a lot of time there either and it's cheap to get in/reasonable as well.

…milwaukee.gov/MitchellParkConserva10116.htm

http://www.milwaukeedomes.org/

Edited: 21 October 2010, 17:40
Mentioned in this post
Harley-Davidson Museum
Harley-Davidson Museum
2,494 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Discovery World
Discovery World
465 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute trip advice needed

www.usingers.com They've been around forever and may be worth a visit while in the area

Also for entertainment you may consider ComedySportz if you've not done that in Chicago:

www.comedysportzmilwaukee.com/main_page.html

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,365 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute trip advice needed

There are areas of Milwaukee to avoid, but there are no tourist attractions there, so no reason for you to go to those areas. There is not a downside to staying in the airport area as long as you have a car to get around. The advantage is cheaper hotel rooms.

I am not fond of the food at the Safe House, although it is an interesting place to see.

Amelias has good pizza. It is on Layton Ave near the airport. It's a nice, casual spot for dinner. There is also a huge Mexican restaurant on Layton west of the airport around 9th street called El Fuego. Of course there are many other dining options around there too.

The Milwaukee Zoo is very nice, if the weather cooperates.

You also may want to stop at Apple Holler if you are coming from Illinois on I-94. It is an apple orchard, so lots of fall activities, hay rides, taffy apples, etc. and there is a good family style restaurant there. It is right off the Interstate at the Racine/ Kenosha county line.

You might also check for traffic info at www.todaystmj4.com. They are doing construction on the freeway in the area around the airport and there have been some major week end closures as they are moving things around. You can easily get around without using the freeway if you need to and you could get stuck in a mess if you are not prepared.

Edited: 21 October 2010, 21:17
Mentioned in this post
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
El Fuego
El Fuego
225 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Apple Holler
Apple Holler
444 Reviews
Sturtevant, WI
Illinois
Illinois
United States
Racine
Racine
Wisconsin
Kenosha
Kenosha
Wisconsin
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute trip advice needed

There's really no downside to staying by the airport, except that you'll have to drive to the places you're interested in (and also, therefore, park downtown). You could always take a cab, too, but it'll probably just be easier to drive yourselves. All of the nieghborhoods where you're looking to go are perfectly safe and should have a lot of people bumming around on the weekend. The other posters have given some good suggestions of things to check out, but with what you have planned, it sounds like your schedule will be plenty full. Be sure to check out St. Paul Fish Co. in the Public Market and slurp up some oysters! Yummy!

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Saint Paul
Saint Paul
Minnesota
Milwaukee Public Market
Milwaukee Public Market
798 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,066 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute trip advice needed

I disagree that there's no downside to staying near the sirport. The downside is that there's nothing to do there--everything you've mentioned is near DT, so I'd stay DT if I were you. Within limits. location is more important to me than price.

The Public Museum is also good, as is the (relatively) new Harley-Davidson Museum.

I agree that the fopd at the Safe House is nothing special, but your child might like the kitsch.

We think there are several good Mexican restaurants around 6th & National.

Mentioned in this post
Milwaukee Public Museum
Milwaukee Public Museum
927 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Harley-Davidson Museum
Harley-Davidson Museum
2,494 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,365 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute trip advice needed

Downtown is more convenient for access to dining and things to do, but I doubt you will find a room nearly as cheap and then you have to add parking. The Hilton downtown has a small indoor water park, but other than that you won't find many pools in downtown hotels either. Add to that the Country Inn will probably be much more convenient with a dog than a downtown location.

It is my opinion that the easy 15 or 20 minute drive to wherever you want to go, plus the cost of short term parking downtown would be much more convenient and economical for the kind of trip you have listed.

For those who want to enjoy Milwaukee's nightlife or don't have a car to get around I usually recommend staying downtown. But, your situation is quite different. So, yes there is a downside to staying near the airport, but in your case I think there would be a bigger downside to staying downtown.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute trip advice needed

I 2nd przyk. For your circumstances, staying where you've decided sounds like the best option!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute trip advice needed

I would think the road construction around the airport interchange is enough of a reason not to stay in that area.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
626 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last minute trip advice needed

if you do decide to stay downtown, try the Aloft Hotel, which has a small pool, and allows dogs. It's right on the river and Old World Third Street, so you can walk to lots of attractions.

The 11 year-old might enjoy unlimited samples of specialty soda at Sprecher Brewing.

10. Re: Last minute trip advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2011, 06:16