We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Milwaukee from Apr/29 to May/1 - Advice please

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
In Milwaukee from Apr/29 to May/1 - Advice please

Hi all.

First of all, I'll apologize in advance for any english errors as I'm not a native speaker.

I'll be staying in Milwaukee from Apr/29th do May/1st, with my wife. I'll be arriving from Chicago in a rental car, and already have reservations for the County Clare Irish Inn which, according to some reviews I've read here at this site, is quite unique.

I plan to drive through Kenosha and Racine, as we would really like to both travel alongside lake Michigan and also view the lighthouses in those two cities (not many lighthouses around where we live). Also, we would like to stop at the "Pleasant Prairie Premium Outlets" (my wife's request).

First question I ask is where to have lunch: I've read about the Brat Stop, and I've also read about this Spot Drive-in in kenosha. Any more nice places to consider along the way? Any unique charming restaurants in the area? Kenosha's lake front seem to have lots of restaurants with fabulous views, but we couldn't really decide based on the many mixed reviews. Also, we are on a budget, so please nothing too expensive =).

I'm not sure how long we will be driving, but I imagine we will arrive in Milwaukee not earlier than 4pm (I'll leave Chicago shortly before noon). Next question: what would be doable in the rest of this first day? Is it feasible (and safe) to walk around the lake front the rest of the day, have some fish fry and then walk back to the inn? There's a list of things we'd like to do below, would any of these things fit this first day?

I made a list of things we would like to do/see in Milwaukee:

- The Domes

- North Point Lighthouse (would it be open saturday Apr/30?)

- Millers Brewery Tour

- Harley Davidson Museum

- Public Museum (will the Mummy Exhibit still be there?)

- Milwaukee Art Museum

- Historic Third Ward

- A boat tour (is there any good one?)

- Discovery World (would two adults have fun there?)

- A bycicle ride at the lake front

- Have some fish fry

We will have the entire Saturday to explore the city, but I'm not sure how long would take to see/do each of the items above. Top priorities would be the Brewery Tour, the Mummies exhibit and the fish fry. Any advice on how to make the most of this day?

As for sunday, we will be leaving heading to Muscatine, so I'm not sure if we should leave really early and stop at Lake Geneva for lunch and a stroll, or simply enjoy some more of Milwaukee and maybe leave for Muscatine after lunch. Any suggestions?

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: In Milwaukee from Apr/29 to May/1 - Advice please

Oops, forgot to mention I'd like to visit the Joan of Arc Chapel also. I'm mostly in the lookout for activities/sights unique to Milwaukee.

Another question: what would the weather (probably) be like?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Milwaukee from Apr/29 to May/1 - Advice please

Hey, your English is pretty darn perfect. :)

Great hotel choice, first of all. A drive through Racine and Kenosha will probably be nice that time of year. The Brat Stop is an option, but I would personally go somewhere closer to the lake. My recommendation would be to stop at the Captain's Galley on Main St. in Racine, then head up about 2 blocks and down the hill and enjoy eating your sandwiches overlooking the lake at North Beach. (http://www.captainsgalleysubs.com/menu.html)

Your timeframe sounds about right for when you will be arriving in Milwaukee. From where your hotel is, it's a short walk east to Veteran's Park right along the lake. It's definitely safe, just be careful crossing Lincoln Memorial Drive. There are a lot of pedestrian walkways, though. I might suggest driving (or taking a taxi) to Lakefront Brewery pretty much as soon as you get into town to hit up their fish fry. It's probably the most recommended in town, and it really is good. You can get a brewery tour first, then eat. Just get there early because it fills up pretty fast. Otherwise, a good majority of restaurants in the area serve fish fries on Fridays.

You have a lot to try and squeeze in to your time here, but you are within walking distance of the Art Museum and Discovery World, so those are options (though I think Discovery World is pretty much aimed at kids? Not 100% positive...). If you get a Lakefront Brewery tour in on Friday, you may or may not still want to try for Miller. They are different, but Lakefront might suffice for you. Otherwise drive out to the Miller one, then I'd say try for the Domes in that same trip west. You could try and squeeze in the Harley museum on your way back to the hotel, if you don't spend too much time at the Domes. The Third Ward is interesting, but with the other things you have going on, I'd say bypass it, except maybe to go for a drink or dinner at Milwaukee Ale House.

I'd have breakfast in Milwaukee, maybe try for one of the things you didn't get to do the day before, then head to Muscatine. Stop in LG for lunch. I've done that drive and, in my opinion, it's pretty boring either way, but easier during the day. It gets really lonely at night once you're on Hwy 61 outside of the Quad Cities...

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Milwaukee from Apr/29 to May/1 - Advice please

Discovery World offers a lot of neat interactives/exhibits adults will enjoy. Unlike many museums geared for children alone we found it pleasing to adults. It also shares close proximity to the Art Museum.

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: In Milwaukee from Apr/29 to May/1 - Advice please

Thanks for your reply, travellingtuba.

I really like your suggestion to hit the Brewery and have the fish fry at the same time. How soon would I need to be there to avoid the crowds? Here where I live, restaurants are pretty much empty until around 8pm... also, would it be easy to park my car in the area around the brewery?

I also like your Captain's Galley suggestion. I'll just make sure we eat something in Chicago before hitting the road, so we don't get too hungry en route to Racine (as we'll stop at the outlets and the lighthouses in Kenosha).

Once again, thanks!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,215 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Milwaukee from Apr/29 to May/1 - Advice please

I think the Brat Stop would be a good choice for lunch and it is cheap enough. Four hours is not really a lot of time for your drive, lunch, shopping at the Outlet Mall and looking around Kenosha and Racine. If you get into Milwaukee at 4 pm I don't see how you will have time to visit any of the museums.

I am not sure any boat tours will be running by the end of April. The bike rental shop at Veterans park will not be open that early in the season. It may still be pretty cool. We are getting snow tonight.

So, you will basically have Saturday in Milwaukee and I don't see how you can do all the things on your list. You might want to prioritize what you most want to see.

The Joan of Arc chapel on the Marquette University campus is only a mile or so west of downtown. You could easily visit it early Saturday or Sunday morning before you leave town. If you need directions google Marquette University and there should be info about finding the chapel. It is in a pedestrian area of campus, you cant just drive up to it, but you should be able to park within a block or two on the weekend.

There is also a casual restaurant called Michaels at 21st and Wisconsin Avenue, not far from the Joan of Arc chapel. It is not really a tourist attraction, but if you would like to eat with Milwaukee locals they have good food and it is very reasonably priced.

I will suggest one more very American thing for you do do on your trip. Visit a large truck stop along the Interstate. We drive to Davenport Iowa and we often stop at the truck stop at Rochelle Illinois. It is south of Rockford, just before you turn onto Interstate 88 to head toward Iowa. They have a restaurant and a large gift shop at the truck stop.

It sounds like a wonderful trip. I look forward to helping with any more questions you have.

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: In Milwaukee from Apr/29 to May/1 - Advice please

Thanks for your information, hatchpal4u. I'm considering the Discovery World, just wasn't sure if it would also suit adults or not.

san diego
Level Contributor
129 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In Milwaukee from Apr/29 to May/1 - Advice please

If you're bringing a camera with you on your trip, there's a good photo op just a block away from County Clare. Starting at the corner of Knapp St. and Franklin Pl. there's a collection of 19th-century townhouses of various architectural styles that extend down to Juneau Ave. I think any one of these houses would make for a good picture, and it would only take ten minutes.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In Milwaukee from Apr/29 to May/1 - Advice please

Lakefront serves their fish fry between 4pm and 9pm on Fridays, and their tours start at 2 (from what I can tell on their website). If it were me, I'd get there around 5, do your tour, then eat. They have separate lines for people wanting tours + fish versus those who just want fish. I think between 5 and 6 would lessen your wait. Here's the website for more info: www.lakefrontbrewery.com/details_details.html They have a parking lot and street parking in the area.

Oh yeah, the weather will probably be cool (maybe 50's?), but could also be in the low 60's or 40's. Spring is really fickle, so just make sure you have an umbrella and a light jacket.

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: In Milwaukee from Apr/29 to May/1 - Advice please

Thanks for your reply, przyk.

I guess I'm discarding plans for a boat tour or a bycicle ride, as it seems it won't be possible anyway.

I understand it won't be possible to do all the things in my list - I wasn't clear enough in my first post, those are thinks I'd like to do, but I know I'll have to pick only a few of them.

As for friday, I'm thinking I'll try do to the Brat Stop for lunch, then the Outlets, then Kenosha, then Racine (including a sandwich at the Captain's Galley), then I'll head to Milwaukee. I'll try then to hit the fish fry at the Lakefront Brewery as suggested, and perhaps - if possible - take a tour of the brewery. Sounds like a good plan to me right now, I hope it will be doable =)

I'm just not sure about the timing for the lakefront brewery, however. I think once we arrive in Milwaukee, we'd probably want to take a walk near lake Michigan until close to sunset (around 7:50pm). Would 8pm or 9pm be too late for a fish fry? According to their site, there's a tour from 8pm to 9pm (on Apr/29), so after that would it be impossible to get a fish fry there?

Also, is it possible (and safe) to walk from veteran's park to north point lighthouse? I imagine it would be a beautiful walk, especially this close to sunset.

For saturday, so far I'm thinking: start with Public Museum and Mummy Exhibit at 9am (I doubt we would stay more than 2 hours there), then head to the Joan of Arc Chapel. We'll take your suggestion and eat at Michaels, and I noticed the Pabst Mansion is really close - so perhaps we could stop by and take a look (I think my wife would love it). Afterwards, head to Miller for a tour. After that, harley davidson museum. Wow, long day.

On saturday I plan on having dinner at County Clare, apparently their food is delicious =)

Brilliant suggestion about the truck stop! I'll give it a try for sure! Is it the "Petro Stopping Center"? That's all I could find using google maps, it's just before I88 as you said.

One last question: would a DSLR draw too much attention? Here in Brazil it definitely does (think armed robbery), but I think it's more common place in the US, and not so big of a deal.

Once again, thanks!

PS: I'm still not sure about sunday...

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: In Milwaukee from Apr/29 to May/1 - Advice please

Thanks for the photo tip, booradley2. I'm definitely interested in photos, especially unique ones!