We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend with kids: food and activities?

Chicago
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend with kids: food and activities?

We'll be in Milwaukee from Saturday to Monday, March 26-28. Our main destination is the mummy exhibit at the Public Museum, but we'll need other activities to keep us busy. We have a 7-year-old girl and a 10-year-old boy who are pretty easy-going. Any suggestions on what else we should see? Also, we're also looking for good, non-chain dining options beyond pizza and hot dog joints. A local brewpub might be nice. Due to finances (and the need for a pool) we're staying in Brookfield, but will most likely spend most of our time in the downtown area.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend with kids: food and activities?

Milwaukee Ale House downtown you may enjoy

http://ale-house.com/ (Third Ward)

Discovery World Museum would be a hit for both the kids and the adults very interactive hands on fun for all:

http://www.discoveryworld.org/

The Domes are a unique destination (easy on the budget and time schedule too):

…milwaukee.gov/MitchellParkConserva10116.htm and get this right now their special exhibit is a running train layout:

…milwaukee.gov/FloralShowDome10357/2011-Show… Our children love this exhibit which makes the Domes that much more fun. It runs through April 3rd so you're in luck. Perhaps if you're museumed out after the mummy exhibit go for this and save Discovery World for another time as this special exhibit only runs once a year.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,935 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend with kids: food and activities?

The Milwaukee Admirals, minor league hockey team has a 5 pm game Sunday with a special promotion, "bring your dog day". Sounds kind of weird to me, but your kids might enjoy this and the Admirals always have entertaining things for kids during the games. There is a promotion where you can buy 4 tickets and you get 4 sodas and 4 hot dogs all for $44.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
626 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend with kids: food and activities?

Rock Bottom has good food, and I recall them having a fun kids menu. You could build your own pizza! Indeed Discovery World, maybe even Sprecher Brewery if they like soda. Or go to the Pettit and ice skate around the big rink.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend with kids: food and activities?

Thanks for the great suggestions. I think we'll hit the Ale House at some point, and maybe Sprecher, as we've tried to hit a brewery tour before but haven't been able to time it right. (Lakeside looks good, too, but maybe not for the kids.) Rock Bottom is always a good bet, too.

Discovery World looks good, though that might be too much learning for one trip (kidding). Any thoughts on the Harley-Davidson Museum?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend with kids: food and activities?

Does anyone know if the Ale House serves fish fry on Friday nights? If not can anyone recommend some place close to the Downtown Courtyard Marriott that does serve fish within walking distance. We'll be in Milwaukee for the weekend. Thanks

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend with kids: food and activities?

On the website www.milwaukeefishfrylist.com, you can search by things like location and type of fish.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend with kids: food and activities?

Hey if you are going to go to the Ale House, check groupon.com today! Their deal for the day in Milwaukee is $15 for $30 worth of food at the Ale House! I already got mine :).

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend with kids: food and activities?

Does the Ale House have a fish fry? I didn't see it on the menu just salmon and tuna steak. I have looked at the links people have given me over and over and the more I read the reviews the more I don't know where to go for fish. I realize you can't always go by the reviews so I was hoping someone could recommend a favorite in that area. Thanks

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,935 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend with kids: food and activities?

The Ale House does have a traditional Milwaukee fish fry on Fridays.

Other options close to the Courtyard might be the Safe House or John Hawks Pub.

10. Re: Weekend with kids: food and activities?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 15:16