We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MIlwaukee to La Crosse

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surfers Paradise...
2 posts
Save Topic
MIlwaukee to La Crosse

I am part of a four week motorcycle tour by six oldies from Australia. Have been to Milwaukee before and most of the towns on our planned route we have friends or plans but I am looking for ideas of the best most interesting roads along our trip as well as points of interest as well along the way.

Day one is Milwaukee to La Crosse so any ideas for things to see and do along the way and which best route to take would be appreciated

many thanks

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,209 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MIlwaukee to La Crosse

You might want to take Interstate 94 from Milwaukee to Madison although there are some alternative routes if you want to stay off the Interstate all the way.

From Madison you might enjoy taking Hwy 14 to La Crosse. You can take 14 all the way to La Crosse or at Viroqua you could take Hwy 56 to 35 and take 35, which runs along the Mississippi River, into La Crosse.

If you want to avoid Interstate driving from Milwaukee you can connect with Hwy 16 west of Milwaukee to Watertown and Hwy 19 from Watertown takes you north of Madison and connects with Hwy 14 near Black Earth.

You could also take Hwy 18, which I suggest you take I-94 from Milwaukee to Hwy 83 in Delafield in the western Milwaukee suburbs and take Hwy 18 to Madison from Delafield.

Any of these routes would allow you to see the Wisconsin countryside and small towns.

If I misunderstood you are looking for mainly Interstate driving with a few detours off let me know and I can give you some suggestions for that too.

There is a separate forum for Madison on Trip Advisor where you can find info on things to do.

Also if you are looking for specific things to do let us know and we might have some ideas.

Genesee Depot...
Level Contributor
394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MIlwaukee to La Crosse

Although not the most direct route, but scenic indeed is Hwy 18 from Wales WI to Prarie Du Chien WI and then Hwy 35 North "the Great River Road" to LaCrosse.

From Milwaukee take I-94 West to exit 287 Hwy 83 Delafield. South 4 miles to Hwy 18, go west to the Mississippi River and then North on 35.

If you have Harley Davidson's, you'll almost pass Willie G's estate which is just north of 18 and C, about 1/2 mile west of Hwy 83. (My house is just 1 mile south)

Passing thru Cambridge WI on 18 before Madison is Matt Kenseth #17 Nascar Cup Champion's hometown and museum/fan store if you're interested in that.

Surfers Paradise...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: MIlwaukee to La Crosse

Excellent suggestions there thank you. I guess going past Willie G's place holds interest and my brother who will be with us is a mad Nascar fan.

I should have said where we are going after La Crosse as it has a bearing.

We plan to travel down the Mississippi to new Orleans takign detours along the way and then returning to Milwaukee via Tennessee, Kentucky and parts along the route.

I plan to post questions about those areas in seperate state posts but any advice is appreciated.

thanks again

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
857 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MIlwaukee to La Crosse

If your brother is a mad NASCAR fan, you may want to hit Matt Kenseth's museum/gift shop in Cambridge on HWY 18.

www.mattkenseth.com/html/FanClubStore.html

BTW...what's the conncection to Willie G and Nascar?

5. Re: MIlwaukee to La Crosse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 13:16