We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Overview

Indiana
Level Contributor
259 posts
302 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Overview

Would appreciate comments/feedback ...

Friday

5 p.m. -- arrive in Milwaukee; check into Hyatt Regency. Dinner at Mader's.

Saturday

10 a.m. -- tour Joan of Arc Chapel, then head to Third Ward including public market; maybe lunch at the market???

3 p.m. -- tour North Point Lighthouse, then Kopp's for custard

8 p.m. -- see Les Mis at Marcus ... in need of restaurant recommendations around Marcus ...

Sunday

10 a.m. -- Easter brunch at Harbor House -- What is the dress code, please?

11:30 a.m. -- Milwaukee Art Museum, then head home

Also ... any suggestions on where to stock up on curd?

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
857 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Overview

almost every grocery store in the area has cheese curds. Public Market would probably be your easiest place.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Overview

Any plans for after dinner on Friday? You could go to the Safe House for a drink and mainly to check it out or just walk a little around downtown, if the weather cooperates.

The Joan of Arc chapel is small, but very interesting to see. You don't need to plan a lot of time for it. You should be able to find free or metered parking on the street within a few blocks. If you need help with that let me know.

Your Saturday seems kind of light, but I guess it depends how much wandering you do in the Third Ward. If you feel you are finished in that area you can drive to the Brady Street area and look around or just drive or walk around the area near the lighthouse. There are some cool, old mansions all up and down the lakefront from the lighthouse.

I assume you are going to the Kopps on Port Washington Rd. If you find yourself with a little extra time Kopps is just a few blocks from the Bayshore Mall, which is a nice outdoor mall to walk around. Then to get back downtown I would take Silver Spring Drive east thru Whitefish Bay's small shopping district to Lake Drive and take Lake Drive back downtown. There is no need to hop on the freeway. The drive along the lakefront will only take about 15 minutes and it is very pleasant.

Two restaurants you could try Saturday night are Kilowat in the Intercontinental Hotel or Eagan's. They are both just across the street from the Performing Arts Center. You can probably find their menus online and if neither of those sound right you can find several other choices with a few blocks.

I am not sure if anyplace really has a dress code anymore. You will probably even see a few people in jeans at the Harbor, I wouldn't go that casually, but that's just me.

If you want to wait for the trip home to stock up on cheese curds you could stop at the new Mars Cheese Castle at the Hwy 142 exit on I-94 in Kenosha.

Genesee Depot...
Level Contributor
394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Overview

Eagans as mentioned above is an excellent choice. We love that place !!

Awesome BAR !!

Edited: 20 April 2011, 17:43
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,680 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Overview

If you sign up at restaurant.com, you can often find $25 gift certificates for Kilawat selling for $2. We recently had an excellent meal there. Be sure to make reservations for Saturday night dinner wherever you go; there are several other theaters near the Marcus Center and it can be hard to get in and out in time to get to a show.

Unless you really love heavy, stodgy German food, I think there are other, better restaurants than Mader's.

I agree with przyk that, although you will probably see people in jeans at the Harbor House, I wouldn't dress that way to go to a nice restaurant.

Blu, the bar on the 23rd floor of the Pfister Hotel, has wonderful views of the city.

To find the shops and erstaurants in the Third Ward, www.historicthirdward.com is helpful.

Indiana
Level Contributor
259 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Overview

Well ... we have a local German restaurant that we absolutely LOVE ... so I'm torn between getting German in Milwaukee (seems to be the thing!) and being terribly disappointed when it doesn't measure up to what we're used to ... but I am open to other suggestions for Friday night dinner. I just liked that Mader's was within walking distance of the hotel.

As for the light Saturday plans ... I COMPLETELY forgot about the Model B1 American Systems Home ... we've been outside but not in, so we'll want to tour it Saturday afternoon, too ... I would like to be a little light on scheduling, cause my husband and I are different travelers ... he likes a leisurely pace and I like to go go go nonstop. Hubby's also a photog, so we spend LOTS of time waiting for the sun to come out from behind the clouds, etc. and get that perfect shot.

The Safe House isn't too kitschy?

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Overview

wisconsincheesemart.com/…

for cheese

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Overview

The Safe House is very kitschy. But you say it as though that's a bad thing, lol. I just thought of it as some place to go if you feel like a drink or something to do after dinner since you didn't have anything listed.

As for the pace, I love to take my time too. I was just concerned there might not be enough to keep your attention, so I was trying to give a few more ideas in case you had a little more time than expected.

I don't knock Maders although some people say that the food quality is uneven or has slipped. It is a beautiful old building, so if you would like to see it for the ambiance, and since you will be there on a Friday night you could go and order a traditional Milwaukee fish fry.

There are many restaurants within walking distance of the Hyatt if you decide on another option.

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
574 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Overview

You would also have time to do a tour of the Pabst Mansion which is about 2 blocks from the Joan of Arc Chapel

I still love Maders and Safe House for overall experience of ambience and food

Harbor house food is excellent. Dress slacks for women is fine although you will find dresses. Men with ties it is a more upscale place

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
626 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Overview

would love to hear your trip report too! It's always nice to get feedback on our suggestions.

10. Re: Itinerary Overview

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 21:16