We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Less expensive area to stay in Milwuakee?

Toledo, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Toledo
Level Contributor
304 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Less expensive area to stay in Milwuakee?

I'm planning a last minute trip to Milwaukee for June 21 to 25. Things I'm thinking of doing (although not necessarily all) are Mitchell Park Conservatory, Bradford Beach, North Point Lighthouse, Lynden Sculpture Garden, Mondo Brothers Riverwalk Brewery Boat Tour, Miller brewing tour, Pabst Mansion, Lakefront Brewery.... Can you tell we plan to hit up the breweries???

I am looking for an area to stay in that would allow me to get a decently priced room on Priceline that wouldn't be too expensive. Can someone suggest an area based on the following Priceline areas that would be safe, reasonably close to the areas above and may not be as expensive? The areas are as follows:

1 Brookfield - New Berlin

2 Milwaukee Airport Area (MKE)

3 Milwaukee Downtown

4 Milwaukee North

5 Milwaukee Northwest

6 Pewaukee

Thanks in advance! I'm going to keep doing research tonight but don't have internet at home so was hoping to post this and receive some feedback by the morning.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,928 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Less expensive area to stay in Milwuakee?

A car will make it easier to get to many of the places on your list. If you don't have a car I would highly recommend you consider staying downtown.

If you do have a car I don't believe any of the hotels outside of downtown charge for parking, so that will be added savings if you stay out of downtown.

You may have the best chance of getting a cheaper room in the airport area. After the airport area (zone 2) I would select North zone 4, Northwest, zone 5 and Brookfield, zone 1 in that order for convenience. Pewaukee is too far out of the city.

You might also look at the Forty Winks, a mom and pop motel that is located in a nice area. It would be in Priceline's zone 5 http://fortywinksinn.com/ I would recommend Forty Winks for a budget room if you have a car.

Toledo, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Toledo
Level Contributor
304 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Less expensive area to stay in Milwuakee?

Thanks for your response. We will ahve a car and parking was definitely one of the factors of why I wish to stay outside of downtown!

Going to try Priceline now. Thanks for your quick response.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,928 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Less expensive area to stay in Milwuakee?

Let us know how the bidding goes and if you are successful we can give you more tips for the area around your hotel and how to get around to the sites you want to see.

Toledo, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Toledo
Level Contributor
304 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Less expensive area to stay in Milwuakee?

I have another question:

I found a good deal on the Extended Stay America - Milwaukee - Waukesha

at

2520 Plaza Ct.

Waukesha, WI 53186

Is this too far out to be convenient? How would traffic be during the week for getting from this hotel to the above mentioned attractions?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
249 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Less expensive area to stay in Milwuakee?

Have you checked out biddingfortravel.com? The site posts recent winning Priceline bids for specific hotels and dates. I find it very helpful!

Toledo, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Toledo
Level Contributor
304 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Less expensive area to stay in Milwuakee?

Thanks - I usually use betterbidding.com but I will look at biddingfortravel.com too.

I am also looking at the list on Priceline of the hotels you can purchase outright, to get an idea of which ones are available for my dates, so that I can tailor my bidding strategy!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,928 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Less expensive area to stay in Milwuakee?

I would prefer to be a little closer, but if it's that good of a deal I would not rule out the Extended Stay.

There is freeway construction between that area and downtown, but you can normally still make the trip in 1/2 hour. You can also use Bluemound Rd as an alternate route that takes maybe 5 or 10 minutes longer. This website can give you updates on ramp closures and alternate routes http://repave94.org/

Also that area, known as Goerke's Corners is very confusing for driving if you are not used to it. There are plenty of mainly chain type restaurants and stores in the area.

Edited: 15 June 2011, 15:27
Toledo, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Toledo
Level Contributor
304 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Less expensive area to stay in Milwuakee?

I tried a few different bidding strategies on Priceline and none were successful. I have booked the Extended Stay in Waukesha for $64.99 per night for 4 nights which will be about $311 after taxes so I am targeting that price or less on priceline, depending on the hotel.

After researching the sites above to get an idea of what hotels were available through Priceline, my Priceline Bidding strategy was threefold:

1) bid 4 stars downtown, trying to get the Hyatt which has parking for $20. Went from $45 to $50 in dollar increments using free rebidding zones. total price with parking would have gone up to $319 but didn't get it.

2) bid 2.5 stars downtown trying to get hotel of arts or ramada with free parking. First bid was $35 or $170 total. Added 2 stars (since the only one that is s 2 star was the hotel of arts) and went up to $40, or $193.

3) bid 2.5 stars airport at $38 (I had seen some people get that at $37 so I wanted to try close to that target price since I have no re-bids in this area until tomorrow). Total price would have been $183 but I didn't get it.

I will try again tomorrow with same strategy #1, and increase the prices of strategies #2 and #3 . Hopefully I'll get something!

Edited: 15 June 2011, 19:56
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,928 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Less expensive area to stay in Milwuakee?

Well you are certainly employing the bidding strategy that I would. #1 on my plan is to book a reservation I can cancel if I do better or live with if all else fails.

Are you not considering the North or northwest zones? Those areas would be preferable to the location of the Extended Stay in my mind.

I would be leery of going down to 2* in the airport area. I think some of the lower priced hotels in that area are kind of dumpy. 2 1/2*s would be okay imho.

I'm having fun following this and I am rooting for you, pleas keep me posted about how things go.

Edited: 15 June 2011, 20:06
Toledo, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Toledo
Level Contributor
304 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Less expensive area to stay in Milwuakee?

Yeah I've had a lot of success with Priceline so I've done this a few times before :)

I'm glad you brought up the North & Northwest. To be honest, I got sidetracked and forgot to see what they had available. Looks like North has holiday inn at the 2.5 level, four points and raddison at the 3 star level. Northwest just looks like it has a la quinta at the 2 star level... I will try North but I hesitate to bid in northwest unless I can see what else is available and with only one option showing up, I"m not sure I want to bid there. Usually when I'm bidding on Priceline I've done enough research that I know between 2 hotels which one I'll get before I place the bid!

I didn't bid to the 2 star level in airport. I stayed at 2.5. The only 2 for 2 star were super 8 and quality suites, so I'm not so sure about those one. I agree about 2 stars usually, normally I wouldn't go that far but the 2 downtown options seemed good enough based on their websites and reviews I read.

That's great you're having fun following this! I appreciate your time so I'll keep it going. Going to try North right now!