We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No hostels in Milwaukee?

montreal
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
No hostels in Milwaukee?

I usually stay in hostels when I am travelling solo, but I haven't found any in Milwaukee.

I'm thinking of coming during the Summerfest.

Any suggestions?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No hostels in Milwaukee?

Unfortunately, there aren't any hostels that I know of in Milwaukee. It's kind of a shame, because I've found hostels a valuable option in other countries/cities during my travels, but I just don't think Milwaukee really has the market for them, or really the pull of the typical traveler who stays in hostels - at least not consistently enough to support a hostel or two.

If you're looking for a low budget hotel to stay in during Summerfest, I'd stick towards the airport area hotels, which tend to be cheaper. All hotels in the area have higher rates during that time due to SFest, especially downtown. There are buses and transportation options, however, from the hotels that are set farther out to get you to the grounds, so you should have options.

I would do a search on here or hotels.com or something like that to see what the rates are for the dates you're thinking of coming.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,735 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No hostels in Milwaukee?

Here are a couple of the lowest price places I can think of that would be convenient to Summerfest.

Village Inn 3001 W Wisconsin 414-344-7500

Biller Hotel 725 N 22nd 414-933-6000

Maybe you could put an ad on Craigslist to find a place to stay cheap. Unfortunately there are not many low budget lodging options in Milwaukee and it's even worse during busy times like Summerfest.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,829 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No hostels in Milwaukee?

I'd also try Priceline. Although we haven't used it in Milwaukee, we have gotten very good prices in other places. Read www.betterbidding.com and www.biddingfortravel.com to learn how to bid.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
626 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No hostels in Milwaukee?

Try Air B and B or see if the Universities, particularly Marquette, lease rooms in summer.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
948 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No hostels in Milwaukee?

My grad students use http://www.couchsurfing.org/ to find places to sleep during Summerfest. Do it quickly, though, because they will fill up fast!

We also have a great hostel in Madison, if you want to commute to Summerfest from here. There are many busses back and forth every day. Not sure what your budget is, but Madison is a university town, and oriented more to your age group than Milwaukee is. Feel free to PM me by clicking on my name for more info and advice.

Bring me a postcard from Montreal! I used to go up there every other weekend when I was in college at Albany, NY......

Cheers!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No hostels in Milwaukee?

In summer, I stay at the Straz Tower of Marquette University, on the edge of downtown. It's a good deal, midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/stay/dorms_h…

montreal
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: No hostels in Milwaukee?

Thanks to everybody, will look into Marquette University.

8. Re: No hostels in Milwaukee?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2013, 10:38