We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak Chicago - Milwaukee

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
190 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak Chicago - Milwaukee

Hi folks...I shall be in Chicago in August, and wish to visit the H-D museum in Milwaukee on 23/8/12. Please advise if it is sensible to pre-book seats on Amtrak. 10.20 depart from Union Sta, arriving in Milwaukee at 11.49 and returning on the last train that evening.

Thanks for any advice gratefully received..

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak Chicago - Milwaukee

Also post this on the Chicago forum.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
190 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak Chicago - Milwaukee

Fair point..

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak Chicago - Milwaukee

There is no need to prebook. The Amtrak Hiawatha service between Chicago and Milwaukee is a commuter route with open seating. I don't think you get a price break by prebooking, but you can check on the Amtrak website, www.amtrak.com .

The Harley Davidson Museum is walkable from the train station, or you could take a short taxi ride. Motor, the restaurant at the museum would be a good spot for lunch.

If you have any other questions about your short visit to Milwaukee feel free to ask.

Genesee Depot...
Level Contributor
394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak Chicago - Milwaukee

Pre book tickets will save some time as you can print out your confirmation # and then just check-in the "Quik Trac kiosk" to obtain your boarding ticket.

Union station suggests arrival 90 min before train departure if services needed vs. 30 min if no full service needed.

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
190 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak Chicago - Milwaukee

Thank you. I will visit Union Station on arrival in Chicago on 21/8/12, check it out and probably purchase the tickets at that time.

I did notice, looking on Google earth, that the railway station is walkable distance to the H-D museum. The Motor looks favourite for something to eat. Thanks again. Regards.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak Chicago - Milwaukee

It would be helpful to take a look around Union Station in advance and the architecture of the great hall is worth a look anyway. The Milwaukee trains always leave from the same track and there is a sitting/ waiting area for Milwaukee passengers directly outside the loading area.

Depending on how close you are staying to Union Station and your mode of transport to get there you don't have to arrive but a few minutes before departure time if you already have your ticket and only a few extra minutes to buy your ticket. Of course, I always allow extra time when I am unfamiliar with my surroundings.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrak Chicago - Milwaukee

By the way, I don't know if this is evident on the map you are looking at, but 6th street to the Harley Davidson Museum is a bridge. I believe in order to access the bridge you will have to walk one block north to Clybourn Street. I don't think you can access 6th from St. Paul, which is the street the train station is on.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
190 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amtrak Chicago - Milwaukee

I am staying directly opposite Grant Park, so not too far from Union Sta, I believe ie walking distance. Thanks for the heads-up re: the bridge, and the ticketing. Very helpful info, much appreciated.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amtrak Chicago - Milwaukee

Grant Park is pretty long, but if you are near the Art Institute it's an easy 10 to 15 minute walk to Union Station. I know the Conrad Hilton and Congress Hotels are a few blocks south of there, so maybe a 15 to 20 minute walk from those hotels.

I always laugh at myself when I am walking in downtown Chicago. It seems everyone is in such a hurry I find myself walking faster to keep pace. Then I tell myself, slow down, you are here to enjoy yourself.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,240 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amtrak Chicago - Milwaukee

the walk in Chicago will be a little over a mile. You'll probably want to take a taxi at night