We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milwaukee for Brewers Game

Chillicothe...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Milwaukee for Brewers Game

Greetings all-

My wife and two of my buddies are headed up from St. Louis to catch the Cards vs Brewers game on June 10th. None of us have ever been to your fair city so we're definitely looking forward to it.

It doesn't look like the stadium located downtown. We'd like to stay as close as possible to the stadium so that bars and restaurants are within walking distance.

Any recommendations for hotels, bars/grills, or any other places we should check out?

Thanks much!

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milwaukee for Brewers Game

There really aren't hotels within walking distance to the stadium.

If you stay at one of the downtown hotels - Hyatt, Hilton Milwaukee City Center, Residence Inn, Holiday Inn, Hotel Metro, Pfister, you will be centrally located to the Riverwalk, Water Street, Historic Third Ward, and Old World Third Street. From these hotels you can walk to many bars and restaurants, or cab it.

To get to the stadium, you can cab it, find a shuttle (I believe the Ambassador Hotel has free shuttles, but is not walking distance to downtown entertainment), or drive and tailgate like the locals do. The stadium is roughly 40 some blocks from downtown. You will pay $6.00 to park one carload there. You can bring in your own grill, food, beer, etc. The gates normally open about two hours before game time. Tailgating is a Milwaukee tradition.

There is also a bar near the Third Ward called Slim's - a fun Irish Pub, that used to have free shuttles to the ballpark. You may want to call and see if they still do.

For fun places to check out - MIlwaukee is very neighborhood based, so here are my suggestions:

Old World Third Street - stop in Buck Bradley's - the longest bar in Milwaukee. Also visit Mader's for true German food and big boots of beer. The latest and greatest is the Hoffbrau Munchen German Beer Hall - a total blast. Buy 1/3rd, 1/2 or full liters of fresh Hoffbrau beer. Listen to a polka band in the back, while eating sausages and fresh warm Bavarian pretzels. Walk across the river bridge to Water Street - where you will find plenty of bars popular with the local college crowd. Visit Water Street Brewery - Milwaukee's oldest MicroBrew, for food or beer. Head back South along the River and dip into Rock Bottom Brewery. Yes it's a chain, but has great food and beer, and a great happy hour. Hopefully the weather is good and you can get a chance to sit on their riverfront patio. Across the river and further south is John Hawk's British Pub. Good food, good prices, good beer. Continue south into what is called The Third Ward, for plenty of shopping, food, and drinks. Visit the new MIlwaukee Public Market. Stop into the Milwaukee Ale House for more microbrewed beer and live entertainment on weekends. Head a few blocks east and visit the new Wicked Hop (name is from baseball) bar and Jackalope lounge next door.

Of course no trip to Milwaukee is complete without a stop at the Safe House. Ask your hotel concierge about it.

For the best view of Milwaukee - go to the Pfister Hotel, to the bar at the top - Blu, for drinks at night.

There is also the Brady Street and North Avenue scene - but you would need to cab it there.

When you arrive in town, immediately pick up the free newspapers called Shepherd Express and MKE. They will tell you who has live music, djs, events, etc.

Don't forget to visit our breweries if you have time.

If you decide to tailgate, there are two large grocery stores downtown - ask your concierge for directions. There is also a TGIF's in the ballpark, and lenty of food options.

Chillicothe...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milwaukee for Brewers Game

Ms Jones, this is extremly helpful. Thanks so very much. Cards fans won't get harrassed if we tailgate I hope!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milwaukee for Brewers Game

You don't have to worry aboout being harrassed. We are used to thousands of Cubs fans pouring across the Illinois border when the Cubs are in town. You might think about leaving the Budweiser at home and buying some good ole Miller beer when you got up here if you want to really fit in.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milwaukee for Brewers Game

bump

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milwaukee for Brewers Game

no - you won't get harassed. If you REALLY want to fit in - drink PBR in cans. LOL. Also - if you do decide to tailgate and bring a small grill, there are places to dump your hot charcoals, and most people leave their grills outside their car to cool off while they are in the game. I only had my little grill swiped once, and that was at a Cubs game - go figure! I am a big Brewers fan and go to plenty of games each year. Tailgating can be a ton of fun. Just watch out for flying baseballs and frisbees.

You can also pay to park in premium - $12.00. This gets you closer to the stadium and among season ticket holders, who are sometimes, but not always, a bit more mature.