We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Chicago to Green Bay for the Playoff game...

5 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Chicago to Green Bay for the Playoff game...

I'm planing to drive from Chicago (downtown) to Green Bay next sunday for the playoff game... so any help on the best/fastest route will be greatly appreciated.

I'm form Mexico, so tips to drive on cold/snow weather will also be very helpful...

Also parking info will help!

Thanks

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,984 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Chicago to Green Bay for the Playoff game...

That's a long drive for one day. My suggestion is to get a hotel for the night before and after the game. Green Bay area hotels are likely to be filled, but even if you stayed in Milwaukee the drive would be much easier.

If you are driving you take Interstate 94 north out of Chicago. Interstate 43 merges with 94 in Milwaukee and you continue on 43 to Green Bay. The route is pretty easy, but traffic and potential for bad weather could be major problems.

Edited: 30 December 2013, 12:42
Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Chicago to Green Bay for the Playoff game...

I take the previous posters suggested route quite often. On Sunday traffic will be light and the highway construction around Kenosha and just south of GB will be quiet. Estimate about 5 hours travel time to be safe and another hour to get parked and in the Stadium. There are many parking options around the Stadium and many folks pay $15 and park in someones yard as an alternative to commercial parking. Also a number of bars offer shuttle service to and from the stadium. As far as the roads, they are all main arteries and get cleaned up quickly in all but the worst circumstances. I also agree you should consider an overnight especially after the game. Good luck.

Edited: 30 December 2013, 14:51
Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Chicago to Green Bay for the Playoff game...

I take the previous posters suggested route quite often. On Sunday traffic will be light and the highway construction around Kenosha and just south of GB will be quiet. Estimate about 5 hours travel time to be safe and another hour to get parked and in the Stadium. There are many parking options around the Stadium and many folks pay $15 and park in someone yard as and alternative to commercial parking. Also a number of bars offer shuttle service to and from the stadium. As far as the roads, they are all main arteries and get cleaned up quickly in all but the worst circumstances. I also agree you should consider an overnight especially after the game. Good luck.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,650 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Chicago to Green Bay for the Playoff game...

Unless the weather forecast is for a blizzard, driving up the same day as a 4:30 game shouldn't be a problem. I live half way between Chicago & Green Bay; right now the weather forecast is 27 degrees with a 40% chance of snow.

I'd choose to stay in GB after the game so I could do a little celebrating (I hope there will be cause for celebration) and not have to get home after midnight.

5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Chicago to Green Bay for the Playoff game...

Thanks a lot for your answers, all very helpful, unfortunately one of my friends that's going to the game has a flight out of chicago at 1:50am on monday, that's why we can't spend the night at GB, but if the game doesn't go to OT I believe we hace a good chance to make it in and out...

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,397 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Chicago to Green Bay for the Playoff game...

Wow, that's a lot of driving and hoping for good conditions. Yes, it could be done.But why not consider spending the night before, further north, even in Sheboygan or Manitowoc. If you could get a room in Green Bay, that would be best, but I'm guess you can't, so I'm suggesting those areas or Oshkosh or Appleton. Dear Hubby also suggested, no drinking (except coffee or water). He's a regular to the games, me less often, it's a terrific place to go, glad you can make it.

My hubby was just regretting not trying to get tickets, we passed on the option to buy them when they were offered, the letters came out right when they were in the midst of that awful stretch. That plus Christmas costs kept a lot of season ticket holders from buying them.But that's to your advantage, enjoy for us.

Also, check out the Green Bay forum for more tips about going to the game.

Edited: 30 December 2013, 22:15
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Chicago to Green Bay for the Playoff game...

There'll be 4 drivers available for the trip and drinking is not an option at all to get this done, I've never been to Lambeu and I guess it's worth the shot, I've been hearing form other friends in the area that on sunday it should take about 3 and a half hours to get there and pretty much the same to comeback, save from actually getting in and out of Lambeau....

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,650 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Chicago to Green Bay for the Playoff game...

My error--the game is at 3:30. Playoff games tend to run longer, so figure the game will be over around 7. DS (who has done it multiple times) says you won't be out of GB until 8. If the drive takes 3 1/2 hours, your friend will get to O'Hare by 11:30, which is plenty of time for a 1:50 AM flight if he prints his boarding pass in advance and only has carryon luggage.

That's if everything goes well, the traffic isn't awful, and the weather cooperates. Right now, there's 40% chance of snow in Green Bay, Chicago, and points in between.

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Chicago to Green Bay for the Playoff game...

You'll want to add some cushion to you trip out of downtown to GB being 3 1/2 hours. While true if everything were to work out perfectly it's doable, but game day is different. It can take 20 minutes or more to get off 41 to Lombardi Ave and make your way to the stadium depending on when you arrive. Also be really careful from the WI state line all the way into Milwaukee as speed traps abound.

Green Bay WI
Level Contributor
136 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Chicago to Green Bay for the Playoff game...

Glad you have multiple drivers but game day traffic will increase your travel time an extra hour each way.

The best advice for driving I the snow is to slow down and leave plenty of room between you and the car in front if you.

We usually park in the neighborhood south of the stadium. You can find a spot on the street or pay 10 or 15 dollars to park in a yard depending on how far you would like to walk. If you want food or drink near where you park go to Green Bay Distillary- google them for an address. It is a good place and all parking proceeds go to charity.

The game will be cold. Dress in layers and purchase disposable hand and foot warmers. They are great and can be purchased for less than 5 bucks at most general merchandise stores. Also in the stadium pay 5 dollars to rent a seat cushion with a back- it helps your back and keeps you off the bare metal benches.

Have a great time and Go Pack!