We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summerfest

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
Summerfest

I am visiting Summerfest with friends for an evening to hear the bands. I hate crowds and was wondering if I feel overwhelmed is there a place either on the fair grounds or nearby I could go to and meet my friends when the concert is over? It could be on the fair grounds or a hotel lobby, restaurant, etc. Thank you.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,122 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summerfest

not sure about you questions, however, i will say this:

from my limited experience with summerfest (several outings in the 90's and early 2000's), during the day, it's a very excellent festival...family friendly and pleasant. the festival gounds are nicely situated on the Lakefront.... however, after 5-6-7 PM, all the jaggaloons come out to the festival... it becomes an overcrowded, drunken, rowdy mosh pit... unless you have tix to a major show at the marcus amphitheater, i'd plan to leave by then...

just my 2¢

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Summerfest

Thank you - I saw photos and everyone was crammed in watching the bands - looked liked sardines - my question is IF I have to get away from the crowds - is there a place I can go to - maybe a hotel nearby and have a coffee - or a place on the fairgrounds where I can get away from the craziness - and my friends can still enjoy the concerts and I can meet them afterwards.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summerfest

I don't like crowds either. But I totally disagree with the drunken, rowdy, mosh pit picture that strange tripper painted. It does get very crowded in places. Especially near the stages. I always stay towards the back. I walk along the lake path instead of going through the middle. There are some picnic tables along the path by the water, you coud go sit there.

If you want to leave the Summerfest grounds you could walk to one of the bars in the Historic 3rd Ward to wait for your friends. The Wicked Hop, and Cafe Benelux come to mind.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summerfest

In the evening, there will likely be big crowds in front of the stages, and the main walkway will be crowded. But, there are plenty of places within the park to sit and relax, away from the crowds, and get something to eat and drink. I'd look for an area by the lake near area "4" on the Summerfest map.

I agree with absmry regarding the crowds. People are not rowdy. Thousands of happy drunks having a good time.

Don't try to find a place outside the grounds to have a cup of coffee. I tried that last year and couldn't find a place.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Summerfest

Thank you both for your responses. Since I have never been to Milwaukee this is helpful. A few follow up qeustions: When you say you walk along the lakefront instead of in the middle - is this the middle gate area? When going into the festival will there be huge crowds? I have no idea where the historic district is - are the bars open late past midnight? The concerts end around midnight - if I stay in area 4 it will be dark by then - is it safe? Can my friends meet me at area 4 easily or is it hard to find? I am picturing thousands of people trying to leave the concert at midnight and my friends not being able to find me. Apologies for all the questions. Someone suggested I could leave and take either the shuttle bus or a taxi to one of the hotels - the Pfiste or the Hilton and have coffee there and they could drive and meet me there post concert. Just reviewing some options. I value your input as again I have never been to Milwaukee or the Summerfest. Thank you!

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summerfest

I'm assuming you are arriving with your friends. If so, walk around and find a place to meet after the concert.

If you are not arriving with your friends, find a place near a concession stand. The concession stands have unique names-for example, tell them you will meet them by Major Goolsby's.

The Summerfest grounds are totally safe. The area I suggested is within the Summerfest grounds. There is a map on the Summerfest web site.

Don't tell them to meet you by area 4. I was just referring to a general area on the Summerfest map around which you could find a quieter place to sit.

I'm pretty sure the Pfister coffee shop closes at 8 PM. Also, unless your friends are parking there, it is really out of the way for them to meet you there.

A good meeting place after the concert is just outside the main gate. As soon as you walk out, turn to the left. Meet in front of the ATM. There will be plenty of room.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Summerfest

Yes - this is most helpful. I will be arriving with my friends. It sounds like I could find a place to relax and then meet them outside the main gate at the ATM machine. Does the main gate say "main gate" - Thank you again!!!

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Summerfest

It's called mid-gate. I have no idea of the signage. It's on the map. You can get a map when you get there. Ask anyone-guest or worker-where mid-gate is, and they will point you in the right direction. Just remember to turn left after you exit but before you cross the street. The ATM is on the map.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Summerfest

There is a North Gate, a South Gate and the Main Gate in the middle. It is pretty easy to find, look for the splash pad. It is in between the Miller Stage and the Johnson Controls stage. The big M on the Summerfest map.

https://www.summerfest.com/Grounds/Map.aspx

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Summerfest

Thanks again - I have no idea where my friends plan to park - if by chance they park either near the North Gate or the South Gate - are there any landmarks like the ATM machine outside the Main Gate- Mid Gate - that you recommend meeting up? Thank you again.