We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

State fair directios/parking from the west

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
960 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
State fair directios/parking from the west

Hi. Coming in on 94 from the west Friday, Aug. 8 sometime between 10:00 & 1:00. The fair website says:

From the West: Take I-94 E to the 84th Street exit. Go straight onto Kearney Ave. and enter the Fair Park at Gate 7. If that lot is full proceed to S. 76th street, turn right and enter the Park at Gate 9. If the 84th Street off ramp is closed due to traffic congestion please proceed to the 70th Street exit, turn right onto 70th Street, proceed to W. Greenfield Avenue, turn right and enter Gate 1 on S. 78th Street and W. Greenfield Avenue.

Could a local confirm that this is the best/easiest way to go? What time would be best to get there?

Thanks.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: State fair directios/parking from the west

Hmm. I suppose that's the way to go. The problem is that they've been doing construction along that EXACT route that they're telling you to go... I assume the State Fair people would know if that is going to be a viable option if they are posting that on their site as a route.

Otherwise, you could take the 84th St exit, turn right (south) onto 84th, then enter to park at gates 4 or 5 along 84th St. Or look around the surrounding neighborhoods for free parking.

Your timeframe of between 10 and 1 sounds like probably just about the only time of day where it won't be overly congested getting in and out. The evenings are the worst.

Edited to add: I just looked at the fair site and don't see the route you posted as one of them that is suggested...

Edited: 18 July 2014, 19:06
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: State fair directios/parking from the west

Nevermind my edited comment. I was looking at the general State Fair Park site, not the one specific to the fair.

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: State fair directios/parking from the west

The option you described is the most direct AND MOST POPULAR. As a result, the 84th Street exit ramp can get backed up easily. A second option is to exit onto southbound 894 and get off on Greenfield, which is the very first exit you will encounter. Take Greenfield east to State Fair. From there you can access the infield paid parking, or park along a city street for free and walk a couple of blocks.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,464 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: State fair directios/parking from the west

I agree about taking 894 to Greenfield and go east on Greenfield. I find it easier to park in private yards west of the Fair than to park in the Fair parking lot. Depending on how far you are willing to walk you may be able to park free on a street west of 84th, but maybe quite a bit west. Parking in yards on week days is usually $5 if you are 2 or 3 blocks away and $10 within a block. Coming in the late morning or early afternoon parking will not be difficult or costly. I would turn left off Greenfield at 85th or 86th street and see what the going rate is for parking. People will be holding up signs, or you can just stop and ask how much.

Washington Street is one block north of Greenfield. Parking near Washington and 85th will give you the closest walking access to a fair entry gate. I go to the fair at least 2 or 3 times most years and this is what I do.

If you decide to park on the fairgrounds don't exit at 84th street. Go to 70th street. The parking lot that used to be alongside the freeway adjacent to the Pettit Ice Center is torn up for construction. In fact they never allowed left turns to get into the fairgrounds, so exiting at 84th would not be good.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
960 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: State fair directios/parking from the west

Thank you for all the advice. I was a little concerned because of the construction. Can someone also tell me what would be the best time to leave between 4:00 and 7:00?

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: State fair directios/parking from the west

I would say the later the better that day. It's a weekday, so you'll encounter some rush hour traffic between 4:00 and 6:00. The Brewers are also playing at 7:00, but that traffic will going in the opposite direction of where you need to go, so it won't affect you.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
960 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: State fair directios/parking from the west

Thanks!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: State fair directios/parking from the west

We were just at the lot (using it as a Park and Ride for a Brewers game), the area is quite torn up, so be patient when you go and drive carefully. We've also used on street parking to the west, in the neighborhoods along the freeway to the south. I think parking will be a big challenge this year as it seems they lost some. I don't see it mentioned on the website. But my memory tells me that some of that non-road construction is in the lot. Can anyone update us on that?

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: State fair directios/parking from the west

"Supposedly", much of the construction work in the lots between 84th and 76th streets on the south side of the freeway will done in the 10 days or so between now and State Fair. I would still use the Greenfield route first.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,464 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: State fair directios/parking from the west

Tundra, see my reply #4. I did address the construction taking over the Fair parking lot that is adjacent to I-94. No doubt parking will be tighter than it has been in prior years, but there is lots of parking on the race track. As I said in my previous reply I think it's always been easier to park offsite. And I don't think it will be bad for the original poster who plans to arrive late morning or early afternoon on a week day. Parking in yards on 85th or 86th street should be readily available and fairly cheap early in the day.

I'm sure I'll be going to the Fair and I will report my experience.