We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do for a few hours late afternoon before the airport

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
what to do for a few hours late afternoon before the airport

Planning a trip to MKE, attending a Brewers day game which may end by 4pm. My flight is 825pm. Where do I go after the game before the trek to the airport, mostly likely for a bite to eat. Will have a rental car.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do for a few hours late afternoon before the airport

When you say most likely for a bite to eat are you looking for a bar that serves food or something like that? Its just not clear to me what you are looking for.

Edited: 27 July 2014, 13:28
Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do for a few hours late afternoon before the airport

There are a handful of places near the airport that are very good, it just depends on what you're looking for. There's El Fuego for Mexican or The Packing House for a supper club atmosphere.

Another great option is the Third Ward. It's on the south edge of downtown, about 10 minutes from Miller Park. There are dozens of bars and restaurants to chose from, everything from fun and casual to upscale and elegant. You can then take the freeway to the airport, about 20 minutes. http://www.historicthirdward.org

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do for a few hours late afternoon before the airport

I was thinking fried chicken. I looked up Jojo ' s on 31st. Is that an ok area after 5pm and then to the airport? I saw El Fuego, I like the menu, looking for dives.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do for a few hours late afternoon before the airport

Well you stumped me with Jo Jos, I've never heard of it. 31st and Burnham is certainly not a great neighborhood, but not the worst either. I looked at google maps street view and Jo Jos appears to be a mini mart. It's not clear to me whether they have seating or you would just order your food to go, but perhaps you've done more research on it than I have. It appears it would qualify as a dive.

My favorite Milwaukee dive is Conejitos mexican restaurant. The food is good. If you want a dive you will find several Mexican restaurants in the near south area of Milwaukee.

If you want a sit down restaurant for fried chicken I recommend Ashley's Que on National between 1st and 2nd. Unfortunately it's not a dive, but the neighborhood around it kinda is.

The advantage of going into that area from Miller Park is you can go east on Canal Street and avoid having to get on to the freeway at rush hour.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
196 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do for a few hours late afternoon before the airport

I recommend the Bay View or Third Ward area to get something to eat, and that way you're no more than 15 minutes from the airport and you are in a cute area near the lake or river. Third Ward suggestions: Wicked Hop, Cafe Benelux, Rustico, Ale House, Water Buffalo (although that is a bit more upscale), the Public Market. Bay View suggestions: Classic Slice, Palomino, DiMarini's, Odd Duck (again, a bit more upscale), Cafe Lulu (one of my personal favorites), Colectivo Coffee. The stuff by the airport isn't that cute if you want to see more of the city, but I have heard good things about El Fuego and it has a nice outdoor seating area. And Beer Belly's is good, but more of a bar-type atmosphere.

I disagree that the area around Ashley's Que is "divey"; that's considered Walker's Point which is an up-and-coming neighborhood with many great bars and restaurants. It's also more of the gay-friendly area, just so you know, but make no mistake, especially at that time of day it's not like you'll walk into anything you'd be uncomfortable with (plus the restaurants are all family-friendly). Ashley's Que is great, as is La Merenda, Blue Jacket, Black Sheep, even Steny's if you're just looking for bar-type food.

Even though this will likely be rush hour, it's super easy to get to these places even via the freeway (as we call it - you probably say highway); the main traffic concentration will be going west, which you will avoid because downtown/Third Ward are southeast of Miller Park.

You also could stop by Potawatomi if that interests you (they have food) - Canal St. loops around the stadium and it's like a 10-minute drive from there.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do for a few hours late afternoon before the airport

El Fuego's does have a great outdoor patio and good food. Not as cheap as some but good.

http://www.cempazuchi.com/main_page.html This is in Milwaukee and featured on the show Diner's, Drive-In's and Dives I don't know how close to the airport offhand.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do for a few hours late afternoon before the airport

Seriously Happy Traveler Walkers Point is a gay friendly area of Milwaukee? It's 2014. Are there gay unfriendly areas of Milwaukee?

You ran off a list of trendy restaurants none of which to my knowledge are known for fried chicken and are exactly the opposite of what I would consider dives. Before the OP came back to clarify what he was looking for I was going to mention Cafe Lulu which is a favorite of mine, but I didn't think it fit the criteria given.

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to do for a few hours late afternoon before the airport

I was thinking about even avoid the freeway, going south on the streets and then east to the airport. I do this all the time when I'm in Los Angeles, driving through South Central. If I see a group of people hanging out at the corner, I don't stop. I know I will stick out like a sore thumb, but I'm ok with in, I still ride on the back of the transit bus at home and see the graffiti and homeless people around. I just want a cheap, no frills meal going to the airport and chicken or tacos will be it. I have been looking at yelp as well. Trip is next week. Thanks to all.

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to do for a few hours late afternoon before the airport

Based on your last post and along with przyk's earlier post, I would suggest the area of 6th and National. From Miller Park, it's super easy and close. You would take Canal St due east to 6th and turn right. Go about 5 blocks and you'll find several local Mexican restaurants - La Perla, Conejitos, Botanos and Guadalajara. They all fit that very casual, dive type atmosphere you mentioned, but all have great food.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what to do for a few hours late afternoon before the airport

It's very simple to get to the airport from the near south area. You can either take 6th street south or First street which turns into Chase Ave and eventually Howell Ave. The area is not that bad to drive thru and I would not hesitate to stop for dinner anywhere in the area. When you mentioned LA it made me think that I'm not sure how our Mexican restaurants would stack up, so please let us know what you think if you do try one.

If you decide against Mexican take a look at the menu at Ashley's. It's not very expensive. http://www.ashleysque.com/#!food/c1jo3