We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun & funky places to stay in Milwaukee

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Fun & funky places to stay in Milwaukee

I just won a trip to Milwaukee and passes to the art museum from the Chicago Reader! I'm so psyched!

My boyfriend and I were planning on visiting the museum anyway, but now we are REALLY going. We don't want to rent a car since we've got free train tickets, but I'm wondering if there are suggestions for some cheaper, interesting places to stay. Our budget isn't much, but I'd like to make it a special, romantic time for him anyway, and both of us have flexible work schedules, so a midweek trip isn't out of the question. Any suggestions? Any websites that would be particularly good to check out?

Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,607 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun & funky places to stay in Milwaukee

Congratulations. You will be able to have fun in downtown Milwaukee without a car. Nightlife may be lacking if you come mid week, but you never know.

A couple of good web sites are onmilwaukee.com and shepherd-express.com. The Shepherd is the Milwaukee version of the Chicago Reader.

My first recommendation for a hotel is the Hotel Metro. I think it would meet your fun and funky criteria, but may not meet your budget. It is close to the Art Museum and many restaurants.

Perhaps more practical in terms of budget might be the Best Western Inn Towner, or the Hampton Inn both downtown.

You might also consider the Ambassador Inn, which is a mile or two west of downtown. It is a recently remodeled Art Deco hotel and may have affordable rates. It is in an intersting neighborhood. on the fringe of Marquette University, so you get that vibe, but it is surrounded by economically disadvantaged areas, so you also get some of the homeless type, street people atmosphere. Being from Chicago that may or may not be a concern to you.

There are not many restaurants in the immediate area of the Ambassador although they have a restaurant in the hotel that gets great reviews. I believe there is a Thai restaurant across the street and there is a great diner called Michael's about a block away, good for breakfast or lunch, but not hardly a romantic meal. If you choose the Ambassador you could take a bus straight up Wisconsin AV to the Art Museum.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

Mentioned in this post
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Hotel Metro
Hotel Metro
471 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Marquette University
Marquette University
81 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
Milwaukee
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun & funky places to stay in Milwaukee

I am also a Milwaukeean and have a couple great spots to recommend for hotels...........1. The Astor 2. County Clare

The Astor is downtown and near the art museum. It has lots of charm. It is a historic hotel right in downtown.....www.theastorhotel.com

My other recommendation is for County Clare. It is also unique with its Irish charm. There is an Irish Pub with rooms in the upstairs a bed and breakfast, romantic, type of place. I would highly recommend these over the Ambassador. That is in a not very area and I wouldn't feel safe there at night or even during the day anymore. There are lots of neat little restaurants near my recommendations. There are some great soup and sandwich types of places downtown.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun & funky places to stay in Milwaukee

Independent of either post, I was thinking "County Clare" when you said fun and funky. BTW, the food in the restaurant is real good although I wouldn't eat there if I were on a diet. It's good hearty food.

It's not a huge place so it's often sold out.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
33 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun & funky places to stay in Milwaukee

Try the Hotel Metro or the downtown Residence Inn. The Ambassador is great too!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Metro
Hotel Metro
471 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Brookfield...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun & funky places to stay in Milwaukee

I would put Hotel Metro head and shoulders above the other downtown hotel choices mentioned, but it's going to be the most expensive. If you can afford it, go for it.

The Ambassador is very nice, but not truly "downtown" as far as being able to walk to everything. That area is improving, but my kids would still describe it as "sketchy".

I can't speak to County Clare, but I know it's well regarded, if that type of accomodation is your thing.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Metro
Hotel Metro
471 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
626 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun & funky places to stay in Milwaukee

I would opt for the County Clare - check their website - they often have weekend romance specials for like $99.00 that include two drinks. All of their rooms have four-post queen size beds and jacuzzi tubs. It's walking distance to the art museum, lake, Brady Street, Water street, etc. Their rates also include hot breakfast on the weekends.

Have a blast in Milwaukee! Pick up the Shepherd when you get here to find out what's going on downtown!

Mentioned in this post
Brady Street
Brady Street
148 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
7. Re: Fun & funky places to stay in Milwaukee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 04:19