We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saint Germain or Eagle River?

DC area
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Saint Germain or Eagle River?

Trying to make up our minds between the two! Group of 6: 3 daughters, elderly mom-86, 2 husbands, all 50+. Found a historic charmer to rent on Lost lake and a brand new home on Eagle Lake. We want the best of both worlds..get away from it all, but still have places to go when we start getting cabin fever. Also, coming from Milwaukee area, is it that much further to Saint Germain? Any pros or cons of each area would be great! Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Saint Germain or Eagle River?

I couldn't tell you anything about St Germain since I haven't been there but Eagle River has some nice restaurants and parks. Of course, it has a bunch of lakes too. The main street in Eagle River is a nice walk, lots of stores; the Christmas store is closing so everything is at least 25% off, maybe more now. Lots of antique stores. BBT's speakeasy is nice for a drink and some food. The lakes are the place to be though.

Good luck. Hopefully someone will post some info about St Germain so you can better make a comparison.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Saint Germain or Eagle River?

Actually, thinking back, I have been to St Germain but that was in 1997 and I honestly can't remember much about it.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saint Germain or Eagle River?

I have fond memories of Eagle River, it's a beautiful area. I've never been to St. Germain however.

brookfield...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saint Germain or Eagle River?

We are the third generation to annually visit St. Germain, from the Milwaukee area. We absolutely LOVE the area, but regularly visit Eagle River as well. St. Germain has this awesome Bake Shoppe, which is now attached to the remodeled Camps Supervalu store. There is also coffee and wi-fi at the bakery, and you can access it from your car on the rainy days. Other favs in St. Germain are Elmers go-carts, horses and bumper cars, Cathy's for ice cream, and the recently-paved bike paths. Nothing compares to the Monday flea market, with all kinds of trinkets for all. There is also Soda Pops in Eagle River, which was on Rachael Ray's list of best eats, but prepare to wait in the summer. For hotels, check out Whitetail Lodge in St. Germain, or Wild Eagle Lodge in Eagle River. If kids are under 10, there is an exceptional Childrens Museum in Eagle River, a repeat visit for all kids. Do not forget the golf courses in St. Germain, or the sink hole at the golf course in Plum Lake. Other resorts in the area are Maplewood (1/2 way between Eagle RIver and St. Germain on Dam Lake.) Of course floating on one of the area lakes is the best of all. Have a great time!

DC area
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saint Germain or Eagle River?

Thanks to all, we decided to go with a nice level property for the older folks, on Eagle Lake, in Eagle River, but will definitely check out Saint Germaine while we are up there. Great tips!

Reply to: Saint Germain or Eagle River?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saint Germain