We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time snowmobilers

Oak Forest, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
1st time snowmobilers

My husband has been wanting to go sowmobiling for years, so I planning on renting a cottage at Hiller's Pine Haven and trying to find a place close by to rent a snowmobile. It would be a surprise. Neither one of us has ever been snowmobiling or anywhere in the area. All I have is a brochure and I'm a little bit nervous because I have no idea what to expect. Can anyone offer any pointers or things I need to be aware of?

4 replies to this topic
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time snowmobilers

There is a number on their website for snowmobile rentals. I would rent two sleds and not a double especially since neither of you have been sledding before. Double ups are a little harder to control and without any experience I wouldn't recommend it.

Also make sure you each have a neck gaiter (not sure of the proper spelling). The wind and snow can get pretty cold below the helmet along your neck. Also make sure they rent helmets as well. They should but you don't want any surprises when you get there.

Always put premium fuel in the snowmobile when you fill up. Go online and view the trail maps of the area. This will give you an idea of what there is and good places to stop for lunch.

Have fun! And hope for snow. Check trail conditions frequently as one snow storm can open trails and a couple of really warm sunny days can close them.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time snowmobilers

When are you planning on going?

St. Louis
Level Contributor
195 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time snowmobilers

WARM … LAYERS & LAYERS of warm are usually good.. If you snow ski, then bring snow ski gear. Bibs, windproof coats, long underwear, good warm boots, and balaclavas are a MUST! .. Otherwise it might be worth “renting” some of this stuff from your rental place. Though expensive, renting 2 sleds might give you some degree of flexibility that double ups can’t provide. but if you are travelling slowly, a double up would probably be fine. It doesn’t seem as though you will be riding too far or too fast … BUT .. IF ON THE WEEKENDS.. be careful of the others on the trails. Sometimes they don’t often pay much attention to the newbies on the block. There are plenty of fun and great places to stop and rest if interested!

Call Hillers Pine Haven as I’m sure they could assist here.

Possible Snowmobile Rentals:

Paul's Rent-All

186 State Highway 70 East

St. Germain, WI 54558

(715) 479-5841

P-Dog Snowmobile Rental & Repair

1325 Lake Content Road

(715) 605-2237

St. Germain Rentals

6255 State Highway 70 East

(715) 479-8007

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,201 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time snowmobilers

have you or your husband ever ridden a motorcycle?

if so, you already have some experience.... except sleds handle more like a 4-wheeled vehicle than a bike...

if not, you'll be total newbies at this, but you should be fine... the trails in WI are marked pretty well but you should have reasonable map reading skills... GPS helps, but reading a good ol' map is a good skill to have... the sled rental joint should have trail maps, if not, many businesses (gas stations, pubs etc) do.... also, trail signs are basically the same as regular road signs....

second getting 2 sleds... go for the lowest end sled---no need to spend more than you have to.... plus, you'll have flexibility, not to mention a better riding experience... definitely wear a balaclava or neck gater.... DO NOT, DO NOT wear scarves!!! the hand grips will be heated (if they work right), so if temps are fairly moderate, your hands should be fine..... lip balm is a nice-to-have.... and if you wanna save your hearing, FOAM EARPLUGS are a must...as are sunglasses.... your feet should stay fairly warm as the lower-end air cooled sleds vent the air where your feet go... nevertheless, wear the warmest socks you own....

before your trip, keep checking the conditions---this winter has been screwy... call the sled rental joint and the resort... i would say the sled rental joints would be more reliable as they don't wanna send their sleds out if the conditions are poor..... keep an eye on the weather forecasts...

you have some rental contact info, but here are some links to help you keep up on the weather and snow/trail conditions:

…wunderground.com/cgi-bin/…

intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx…

http://johndee.com/

snowtracks.com/reporter/…

travelwisconsin.com/snow-conditions-report/S…

happy trails and THINK SNOW!

Reply to: 1st time snowmobilers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saint Germain