We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hunting

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
hunting

Hi, we are a family from Italy. Friends in Chicago told us about Shawano area as a beautiful one and also a good area for bird hunting. We'd like to plan a vacation in USA (from Chicago driving to Idaho) next summer and my husband and a friend are looking forward a couple days break from just doing the tourist, which for them means: hunting.

Could anyone please give us information about hunting season (only birds) and accomodation.

Also about license and if it's possible to rent the riflegun (is it right?) and all they need?

Thank you for the help. Ciao from Rome, Cinzia

P.S. Hope my English was clear.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: hunting

You might use the link below to contact some of the established Wisconsin hunting preserve managers and inquire about various bird hunting seasons and accommodations as well as about the possibility of renting guns.

Use the www. prefix first. I could not put that in as this forum does not accept lines longer than 40 characters.

gamebirdhunts.com/us-hunting/Wisconsin

Your English is excellent!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: hunting

Actually, you will need the entire web address. I will post it below...divided into two parts. Put the parts together when doing your search...no spaces between.

http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/us-hunting/ Wisconsin.asp

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: hunting

I'm afraid my messages may be confusing for you. The second reply somehow accepted the entire address (It would not the first time I tried.) Just copy that address and use it for your search.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
331 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: hunting

What kind of lodging are you looking for? Motels, resorts, or cabins?

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: hunting

Grandma, ty I'll check that web site.

For Burkehouse, I think a motel or resort would be fine. Cabins sound kind of isolated?

Also because the "hunters" will have families with them.

I'm afraid our woods are kind of domestic in front of yours. Been to Idaho in 2002, never saw so many wild animals as there (a bear too, from the car TG, and on the path I wanted to follow just to move my legs). we can also say that in the last 20 years we went every summer at Alps resorts where we also took long walks in the woods.

So any accomodation which is safe is ok. The hunters could also opt for a cabin if it's worth the deal, the families can relax on the lake in the meanwhile.

Grazie everybody

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
331 posts
95 reviews
6. Re: hunting

stettola,

I have talked to several people in the area. Shawano is a small town, and it doesn't have many places to stay, or much to do. The one place I found for you is Shawano Lake Resort. www.shawanolakeresort.com/index.html I am not sure if you will find any place to rent guns. I will keep asking around for you.

However, if you go a little over an hour north of Shawano to the Eagle River area, there is alot to do, and many places to stay. I also personally think it is even more beautiful than Shawano. I found a place that does guided bird hunting. Try www.eagleriveroutfitters.com and look under bird hunting. There is also a site about Eagle River at www.eagle-river.com.

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: hunting

TY Burke, I think we'd better go a little further too. I'll check all the sites. Grazie so much for all the disturb you took.

Bye, Cinzia

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
331 posts
95 reviews
8. Re: hunting

No problem. Let me know if I can help you in any way. Wisconsin is a beautiful place to visit and I hope you enjoy your stay.

Get answers to your questions about Shawano