We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking in Door County

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Biking in Door County

We'll be staying in Sister Bay and would like to know the places you consider the best roads or trails to bike in Door County. By the way, none of us are Tour de France-ability bikers, just average recreational bikers. And, we're not interested in X-Games, off-road type biking. Thanks in advance for your input!

8 replies to this topic
Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biking in Door County

Good bike maps at:http://nordoorsports.com/articles/cycling-maps-pg65.htm

The link includes the Sunset Trail loop in Peninsula State Park, which should be your first choice. It is a hilly, scenic 9 mile loop on a stone bike trail and park backroads.

There is an asphalt bike trail that runs a couple of miles south of Sister Bay along WI-42. It's not scenic, but you can combine it with backroads to ride to Ephraim.

Another fun ride that's not on the cycling maps would be Beach Road north of Sister Bay towards Ellison Bay. Beach Road and WI-42 intersect at the Door County Ice Cream Factory. This is another hilly road; the bike routes along the shore in northern Door County are hilly. Also, you could ride County ZZ east of Sister Bay to the lake shore and then explore up and down Appleport Lane.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biking in Door County

Thanks for the tips, Rick...very useful!

Anybody else care to weigh in with their favorite Door bike routes?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biking in Door County

Try Bayshore Drive from Sturgeon Bay to Egg Harbor. All smooth pavement with sheltering trees and very little traffic. End up at Shipwrecked Brewpub for a pint or three. It's not a short ride, but it's not challenging either. If you want tame trails, Peninsula State Park is great, but it can be crowded. Most any of the inland county roads are also nice for casual bombing around. The east (quiet side) is best, there's a scenic trail around Bailey's Harbor that's not too long and hugs the shore. It shouldn't be hard to find. Just stay off 42, stop at any pub, ice cream shop or supper club that strikes your fancy - enjoy!

Is there anything particular you want to see or do?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biking in Door County

Appreciate the input, biker30x! I used to come up to Door a LOT in the late 60s, throughout the 70s and into the 80s, but got out of the habit, so this is first time back in quite a while. We're really looking to chill a lot on this get away, plus we'll have my fiancee's 15-year old daughter with us. Looking forward to visiting some of the old haunts (Sister Bay Bowl!) but also spending time by the pool or at the beach.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biking in Door County

You will not recognize it. The Bowl has a chill outdoor lounge to compete with Husby's Garage across the street. Up the way, J.J.'s La Puerta will probably be familiar and is usually mobbed, his son & wife run a fine dining place (Waterfront) next door, great sunset views. Inn at Kristofer's was probably there, still is, still good. Al Johnson's is of course still pumping out the Swedish pancakes with lines out the door most mornings. Chop & Grasse's are both very new & on the main drag. Bike over to Fred & Fuzzy's right on the bay S. of Sister Bay (you will have to get up the hill). If it's hot, Door County Ice Cream will be a welcome relief. Farther north, the Viking has a slightly more "local" diner feel (if your room has a DVD player get "Feed the Fish" from the Pioneer Store to watch after the Viking - Tony Shalhoub made a Door County movie & filmed tons of it at the Viking). The Wickman House is a neat new local source restaurant around the corner from the Mink River Basin Supper Club.

Island Orchard Cider will show you around their small cider making facility, it is hard cider tho.

Do I seem to miss DC now that I've been away just over a week?

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biking in Door County

The outside of Sister Bay Bowl has changed, but the interior is frozen in time. You'll probably recognize some of the waitresses. Check out the Greenwood for another place that has not changed.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biking in Door County

Door County Visitor has a nice backroads bike map. www.doorcounty.com/pdf/brochure/BikeMap.pdf

It is available at all Visitor Centers in Door County.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,192 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Biking in Door County

I've always enjoyed riding east to Old Stage Road, north to Porcupine Bay Road and west to Beach Road along the bay (and mostly down hill coming back to Sister Bay).

I also like to ride along Mink River Road and Garrett Bay Rd to Gills Rock.

Washington Island also works for me because traffic is sparse but the scenery is not as interesting IMO as the rest of DC north of Sister Bay.

I'm also fond of County Q early in the morning when traffic is light.

Reply to: Biking in Door County
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sister Bay