We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in door county

Level Contributor
180 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay in door county

help! we have reservations to stay in sturgeon bay in august, but I am wondering if I should try to find someplace a little more centrally located. we would like to go to washington island, but it seems a long drive from sturgeon bay for a day trip.

any input is appreciated.

Illinois
Level Contributor
255 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in door county

We have always stayed either in Sister Bay (Country House & Somerset Suites) or Ephraim (Edgewater). All places have been very nice. It depends if you're going with children. The Country House is an adults only place, while Somerset would be a nice place for families (in-door & outdoor pool). You can check those places out. Since we are just a couple, I wouldn't be able to give recommendations for a family vacation spot. I'm sure you will get some suggestions here.

Illinois
Level Contributor
255 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay in door county

I just saw your other posts and see you have 2 "fishes". I know there is (or was) a beach in Sister Bay. Helms Four Season Resort is right on the water - they might have a beach. You can then walk to all the restaurants & shops. Be sure to eat at Sister Bay Bowl-great food!

The drive to the ferry to Washington Island won't take any longer than 15-20 min.

Level Contributor
180 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay in door county

thank you for the input!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay in door county

Ephraim is centrally located. Check out Eagle Harbor Inn nd Ephraim Inn , they are both very nice.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
331 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay in door county

From Sturgeon Bay to the Washington Island Ferry takes anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half, depending on traffic. I would stay near Fish Creek or Ephraim. They are pretty centrally located and they are close to Peninsula State Park, which has a nice beach area.

As for Washington Island, the day trip is worth it. Make sure you take time to go to Schoolhouse Beach. The beach is completely made out of smooth limestone pebbles. I could sit there all day long and enjoy the view. The water is nice and clear, and I think it is by far the best beach in Door County. The ferry trip is a lot of fun too.

In my opinion, Sturgeon Bay just doesn't "feel" like Door County. I always need to get further up the peninsula to enjoy all it has to offer.

Have fun!

Gillett, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
374 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay in door county

Egg Harbor is a great location as well. It put's you more in between Sturgeon Bay and Fish Creek. You're not to far from the shopping in Fish Creek, etc.

Illinois
Level Contributor
255 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay in door county

There's also a nice beach in Peninsula State Park with concessions.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
331 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay in door county

Yes, Peninsula Park is wonderful. There are also many nice hiking trails and a lighthouse to tour. The beach is neat because there are usually several boats anchored in the bay. You can also rent canoes and kayaks.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay in door county

I agree with Burkehouse, Sturgeon Bay doesn't "feel" like Door County to me the way further north does. I don't know what other criteria you are looking for in your vacation. Each village has its own personality and gifts yet the entire pennisul is wonderful. The beach in Pennisula State Park is called Nicolet Beach and is a terrific beach if you like beaches.

St Paul Minnesota
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay in door county

Sturgeon Bay, while trying to cater more to tourists, is where the shipbuilding business is, so the town itself is more industrial. You need to go up further in the county to really get the true "Door County" experience. If you want to get away from the crowds, go north of Sister Bay to either Ellison Bay or Gills Rock. All are still easy access to other towns, but are quieter. Also they are a stone's throw from both ferrys to Washington Island, the car ferry at NorthPort and the "people ferry" (which also takes bicycles) in Gills Rock called the Island Clipper.

Get answers to your questions about Sturgeon Bay