We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting in June

michigan
Level Contributor
24 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting in June

and wondering if its best to centrally locate (found what appears to be a nice hotel/amenities) myself in one town for 5 nights or travel to 3 different hotels during my stay..

I will arrive in Sturgeon Bay and wish to see all that this town offers is this something I can do in 1 day or should I allot myself more time here?

How much time would you allot for Fish Creek/Washington Island/Rock Island?

Bailey's Harbor worth a stop? Is there enough to do to warrant a full day on that side of the Peninsula?

Thanks for the help

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting in June

Hi -

There's not much info in your profile, so you may want to tell us more about what you like to do on vacations.

Personally, I like Sturgeon Bay, because it's a real town, not so much a tourist town. I stay there a lot when in Door County, and then travel around to see my favorite places.

Fish Creek can take up a whole day, if you like to shop and hang around restaurants, bars and coffee shops. Washington and Rock Islands are both also a day a piece, particularly if you can camp overnight on Rock. They are more primitive, though, and require ferrying. Check the schedules closely when you plan - it's easy to miss the last one, especially from Rock Island.

I enjoy Bailey's Harbor and the Ridges Sanctuary, the hikes along the lake, and Cave Point County Park, both at high and low tides. If you prefer to lounge on the beach all day, there are options for that as well.

You will be going back in time, to a place that is NOT connected by wireless and has few fast-food restaurants. If these suggestions are not what you are looking for, let us know what IS, and people can make others for you.

Have a great trip!

michigan
Level Contributor
24 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting in June

Thank you this sounds right up my alley..reminds me a lot of Mackinac Island in Michigan.

The hotel I found was actually in Sturgeon Bay, the Westwood Shores.. I may have to retool my choices especially if Washington Island and Rock Island may require a full day a piece..

I plan to geocache and bike the parks which will take time..throw in the lighthouses and shopping..clearly 5 days may not be enough.

Thanks again..any advice on temps for the mid June time frame??

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting in June

Mid-June can still be quite cool, especially at night. The weather moves through very quickly, like the UP. There will be rain, but the fronts generally keep going.

Take advantage of the sun while it is out. Don't plan on it being hot and calm for the whole day, and you will be fine. Have layers ready for cool, windy or rainy weather, and you will never be surprised when they come!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting in June

Could you please give us some suggestions on where you like to stay in Sturgeon Bay? We prefer quiet and not a lot of kiddies running about. Other amenities not as important as quiet, friendly and clean and a large bed!

Thanks!

ZB

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting in June

I am fond of both the Black Walnut B&B and the Inn at Cedar Crossing. In my experience, the higher above $100 a night the room costs, the exponentionally lower the number of unruly children you will find in the building with you.

I may have to raise that number a bit in your case, since I usually stay in the spring or fall, rather than high summer!

Westwood Shores is also highly recommended, if you prefer a hotel/resort to a B&B. I have friends that work in Sales there, and they say the staff is top-notch, which is hard to accomplish with primarily summer help.

Let us know where you end up, and what you liked and disliked about it. Things can change dramatically from year to year in Door County, especially in this economy.

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting in June

OK, now wait a minute!!! While we believe the County delivers a good authentic quaint and nostalgic experience, we do have wireless, your cell phone will work, and golly we've even got indoor plumbing and that fancy running water!

Sturgeon Bay is a city of 10,000 and has many quaint B&Bs. This is also the end of the fast food. The Northern Door communities are smaller and are located on the water. The bay side is busier, the communities of Egg Harbor, Fish Creek, Ephraim, and Sister Bay are the most popular.

Based on your questions, you are kid of approaching this the wrong way. Find yourself a motel and stay there! No reason to move around, County ain't that big! Then, go see what you want, and don't worry about a day here or a day there. Go to Bailey's Harbor for breakfast, go to Ellison Bay for lunch, go to Egg Harbor for dinner...You will spend most of your time in Northern Door.

go to www.doorcounty.com for info

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting in June

Glad you're back. sailing fan. We've missed you!

The Milwaukee DEs and I only know so much about your stomping grounds......

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting in June

Wow! Didn't know I had a following.......!

9. Re: Visiting in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2009, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Sturgeon Bay