We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sturgeon Bay..Gateway to Door County?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
52 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Sturgeon Bay..Gateway to Door County?

My husband and I are traveling from California to visit Wisconsin, as tourists, this summer. It's hard to find a place to stay the weekend in July we'll be in Door County. Is it ok to stay in Sturgeon Bay? Or is it too far from the rest of Door County? Unfortunately we'll have less than 2 days in Door County.

14 replies to this topic
midwest
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sturgeon Bay..Gateway to Door County?

I am sure there are many who stay in Sturgeon Bay and are happy. To me, one really gets the feel of Door County when staying either in Egg Harbor, Fish Creek, Ephraim,Sister Bay,etc.

Our favorite is Ephraim because of it's picturesque beauty and it's history. Fish Creek is a close second because of the location of great coffee shops within walking distance! Either way,we usually seem to manage to stay very near Peninsula State Park ( within a mile to half mile) and you may wish to consider visiting this beautiful area! At the very least get the one hour pass.

There is also the experience of the Peninsula Players theatre there, which is nice. We went once and really enjoyed what we saw. Beautiful sunset there! Cool atmosphere.

Now, from personal experience, we actually have stayed in Sturgeon Bay way back on our first trip to Door County, before the Internet was widely used, and before trip advisor. We felt we were too far. Now keep in mind we are always on the go constantly exploring when in D.C. so we are used to being in the car, but, still we felt too far. If I were going to have a more relaxing stay put type of visit, then yes, I would stay in Sturgeon Bay again. Otherwise, no.

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sturgeon Bay..Gateway to Door County?

What weekend are you coming?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
52 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sturgeon Bay..Gateway to Door County?

We will be there 7/22-7/24, driving down to Milwaukee that Sunday for dinner with one of my husband's college friends. Will we encounter a lot of traffic on a Sunday afternoon??? Didn't even think of that!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
52 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sturgeon Bay..Gateway to Door County?

Thanks for the info. I'll start looking for places to stay further north, around Egg Harbor.

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sturgeon Bay..Gateway to Door County?

You should have no problem booking a stay for that weekend if you do it right away. I have rooms available and I'm sure others do too. Check www.doorcounty.com and there is a listing of available properties.

Hawthorn Woods, IL
Level Contributor
124 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sturgeon Bay..Gateway to Door County?

Yes, I consider Sturgeon Bay as the gateway to Door Co and a good "home base" for exploring the Door. Nice waterfront resorts: Bridgeport Resort, Stoneharbor Restort or Bay Shore Inn. Downtown Sturgeon Bay has a nice "old town" feeling as well. Egg Harbor and Fish Creek... on north are all lovely as well, but you won't find as many waterfront resorts until you get up to Ephraim.

And, yes, you will encounter plenty of traffic heading south on a Sunday afternoon. Usually, "stop and go" type traffic only occurs when there's an area of construction or there's been an accident etc.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sturgeon Bay..Gateway to Door County?

It may be the gateway to the Door, but to me it's always been quite a ways before I feel like I'm REALLY in the Door. Sorry, couldn't resist a little word play. Seriously, when I cross the bridge it feels different but if you really want to enjoy your time in Door County I'd definitely stay further north. We usually stay in Egg Harbor which is to me, the southern most community that really is Door County. You'll be driving all around the county, it's not that large, but if you're at least up to Egg Harbor it will seem more like you're just a short drive from everything.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
6 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sturgeon Bay..Gateway to Door County?

I would recommend to stay at a resort in Fish Creek or Sister Bay. Then you will be in the heart of Door County and you will not have to spend so much time in your car to visit all the tourist sites.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sturgeon Bay..Gateway to Door County?

The OP asked this question 30 months ago so I assume they have come and gone.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sturgeon Bay..Gateway to Door County?

Good point Warrior, but we seem to have a lot of flexibility on our Door County forums and it's very likely this question could be relevant to others. Plus, with wind chill's approaching the negative teens the next few days, it's nice to look at worldtravelers avatar.

Reply to: Sturgeon Bay..Gateway to Door County?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sturgeon Bay