We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Superior Complete Circle Tour

Biwabik, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Superior Complete Circle Tour

My husband and I are planning a counter clock-wise tour of Lake Superior starting in Duluth mid-September, 2010. We are looking for any free guide booklets with a board information and activities, bed and breakfast stays, good places to dine, etc. I have googled the trip, but was not impressed with anything that the internet had to offer. Does anyone have any suggestions on sources that we can obtain this information?

Thanks!

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
948 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Superior Complete Circle Tour

We bought this book on Amazon.com. You may be able to find it in your local library....

amazon.com/Superior-Ultimate-Guide-Region-Se…

The free stuff seems to be mostly advertising, with no way to tell anything about the various towns, lodging or sites, unfortunately.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Superior Complete Circle Tour

Lake Superior magazine puts out an annual Travel Guide that's very useful, and it includes a map of the lake with mileages, which they'll send you free.

I've done the Circle Tour twice, and it's not easy to plan because you're dealing with three states and one province. Here's a "greatest hits'' itinerary with lodging and dining suggestions: midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/touring/lake…

Biwabik, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Superior Complete Circle Tour

Thanks for the tip. Great website, as well!

Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
530 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Superior Complete Circle Tour

We were just in MIchigan's upper peninsula and found the Hunt's Guide to the Upper Peninsula a great resource and it is available on Amazon.

They also has an online site:

http://hunts-upguide.com/

Side note... be sure to see the Shipwreck Museum in Whitefish Point. Fascinating information about Lake Superior and shipwrecks, including the Edmund Fitzgerald. It's small, but much better than I thought it would be. Use AAA for a discount if you have it. It also has rooms you can stay in next to the lighthouse.

Edited: 23 July 2010, 14:05
5. Re: Lake Superior Complete Circle Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Superior