We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

washington island wi

w ky
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
washington island wi

we are going to w. island the last of July, three couples. We would like to have a good enjoyable place to stay. We are not sure what there is to do and see. Can anyone help. We can not do a lot of hiking or boating, but we do love out doors, seeing quaint towns, and wild animals, beautiful sunsets and anything more.

i look forward to you comments.

16 replies to this topic
Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: washington island wi

Washington Island is not really a "do", it is a "be". There is not much to do. It is, however, a great place to be if you want to just plain relax. You may do that by riding a bike unencumbered by traffic, hiking, boating, reading or even writing a book. You can see nature, hang on an uncrowded beach, and just be amazed at the beauty of the island.

But if you want to the location to entertain you with cute towns/shops/restaurants, festivals, activities, and lots of things to see and do put right in front of you, you will be disappointed. That is not the beauty of the Island. The Island does not provide that. The Island provides quiet solitude, a slow cup of coffee, and a conversation. No place in Door County does that better than the Island.

If you are planning on touring around seeing quaint towns you should be on the peninsula. I think you should do a little more research before you go, try www.doorcounty.com, and check out the section "the Doors of Door County" to see the various communities websites, including Washington Island.

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: washington island wi

In all due respect to Washington Island I would strongly urge you to consider staying in Egg Harbor or Fish Creek and doing a day trip to Wasihington Island especially if this is your first trip to Door County.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: washington island wi

Washington Island is not quaint. Before going there, spend time in Ephraim, Egg Harbor, Fish Creek, Sister Bay and Bailey's Harbor.

w ky
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: washington island wi

Thanks so much.

What would be interesting on the peninsula. And what about wild life, are there any on the peninsula, and where? your comments a very much appreciated. (from anyone) can you tell me about the fish fry on the peninsula.

does any one know of a reasonable place to stay (clean and fun) preferably by the water.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: washington island wi

I don't think you'll see too much wildlife, especially if you don't hike. I hike in the state parks most mornings when I'm in Door County, and all I see is an occasional deer and some turkeys. I recommend first timers stay in the Main Street Motel in Fish Creek, but it's not on the water. You might try some of the hotels in Ephraim for waterfront lodging. You'll enjoy Peninsula State Park; you can drive to all the sights. Door County is known for fish boils; doorcounty.com has a list of restaurants serving these. In Wisconsin, every restaurant has a fish fry on Fridays. The best ones, like the Cornerstone in Bailey's Harbor, Greenwood and Sister Bay Bowl, have them on other nights, too.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,135 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: washington island wi

for waterfront lodging in Ephraim we really enjoyed Bay Breeze Resort. There are several there along the waterfront. http://www.baybreezeresort.com/

Also:

Edgewater www.edge-waterresort.com

Evergreen Beach www.evergreenbeach.com

Pine Grove www.pinegrovedoorcounty.com

Ephraim Shores: http://www.ephraimshores.com/

Ephraim is oozing with charm and history. We loved it's close proximity to Peninsula State Park. Other highlights: Wilson's Ice Cream Parlor for dessert, and Door County Confectionary for other sweet treats. If you dine in Ephraim it's a dry town. It wasn't an issue with us. You can drive three minutes to Fish Creek or to another town if you want to dine where alcohol is served.

Otherwise there's Fish Creek, Egg Harbor, and Sister Bay to consider too!

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: washington island wi

Wildlife? Sure, we got it! Just go to the Bayside Tavern about midnight when Pat MacDonald is playing!

OK, you should learn more about Door County. Go to www.doorcounty.com and look around. This is not northern Wisconsin with lions and tigers and bears. This is a peninsula jutting out it into Lake Michigan that has a rich maritime heritage, and a great climate because of the lake. We are an area known for fishing, cherry orchards, and family dairy farms. Oh, and did I mention that it is insanely beautiful?

Because of these differences to the rest of the state, Door County has always attracted tourists. We have several quaint maritime villages that are 100% authentic. We pride ourselves on our villages, they are amazing places to live (and visit).

We have also attracted a great arts scene, it is part of our everyday life. Music, performance arts, painting and sculpture abounds here. There are many galleries, professional theater, and more concerts than we can track.

There are indoor activities, and outdoor activities. Use the website to figure out what you want to do and see. Did I mention it is insanely beautiful?

As for lodging, we do not have national chains. We do not have huge waterfront resorts. We have primarily family owned lodging properties, each is a reflection of its owners. If you wish to have "reasonable and waterfront" you will most likely be disappointed. The properties mentioned in Ephraim are very nice, but because of their location you may not find them "reasonable" (depends on your definition of reasonable).

My suggestion, since this is your first trip, would be to stay between Egg Harbor and Sister Bay on the west side. This is the busiest area, most to do. You can explore the rest of the Peninsula from there. Then, determine what you wish to spend on a room. If it's $100 night, in July you will not be on the water. If it's $150 and up you will, provided there are vacancies.

You do, however, need to make your reservations now. I am 2/3 full right now for that week, and anticipate by the first of July to be sold out.

The Trip Advisor reviews for lodging in Door County are very accurate.

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: washington island wi

I would look at the Newport in Egg Harbor or Homestead Suites in Fish Creek. Egg Harbor and Fish Creek both have dining and drinking within walking distance and both have some nice shops. Ephraim is nice with a nice public beach and shops but is a dry town that pretty much rolls up the sidewalks at night.

Lake Geneva...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: washington island wi

Things to do: Go to Charlies Smokehouse for THE BEST smoked fish you'll ever have! This is in Gill's Rock, which also is one of the best spots to see the sunset! Uncles Tom's (if it's still there? and on the way to Gill's Rock) has some of the best fudge i've had! and I love their pancake mix. The American Folklore Theatre puts on great shows inside Peninsula State Park at night. You don't have to hike far, you'll park in the designated parking and walk maybe 8 minutes to the theater which is located in the woods. An absolute must!! Make sure to drive through this park during the day, it has some spectacular views. There is a tower to climb, but it isn't easy! White sands Dune park is beautiful and fairly easy hiking if you stay near the shore line. Door peninsula winery is fun as well. They have tours and tasting. Hope this helps! I've been going up there since I was a child, and still love doing all these things!!

Genesee Depot...
Level Contributor
394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: washington island wi

Agree on Charlies....then take the drive to Northport, nice windy road to the ferry.

Reply to: washington island wi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Washington Island