We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We also need need help deciding where to stay & what to do?

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Dakota
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
We also need need help deciding where to stay & what to do?

My husband and I have gone round and round where to stay in WI Dells. This is our first time to dells with our 12 and15 year old daughters. Mt Olympus is that Treasure Island Resort? And how far is Kalahari out of WI Dells? My husband is leaning towards Chula Vista or Wilderness Resort. I don't mind spending money if we have a great time.

And does anyone have the must do's while in the dells I have read so many reviews some great, some don't waste your money I'm kinda getting stressed and its suppose to be our vacation LOL Thanks for any input you can give us

3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We also need need help deciding where to stay & what to do?

The resort that had been called Treasure Island is now owned by Mount Olympus. They are apparently doing some remodeling, so you might get some extra noise. That's the only place you mentioed that's right in the middle of "the strip" where most of the attractions are located.

Kalahari is at the eastern edge of the Dells, but has lots for teens to do, plus has a huge movie theater next door, just in case you get bored with the waterpark stuff.

Chula Vista is out of town on the north end. Nothing but that resort and a supper club within an easy hike. I was in there for the first time since the last remodel over the weekend, and there have been some substantial improvements to the appearance. I did not have a meal.

Wilderness is also kind of in its own area, nothing else really within walking distance for the kids to do.

I'd personally pick Kalahari for you and your kids.

Gillett, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
374 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We also need need help deciding where to stay & what to do?

I think it's a toss up between Kalahari and Chula Vista. At Chula Vista you can rent a condo which are huge so there's plenty of room for every body to spread out, plus you have a kitchen, etc. You're a short drive from anywhere from kalahair or Chula. Chula is closer to downtown, Kalahari is closer to the freeway. Both are very nice. It's a toss up.

DeKalb, Illinois
Level Contributor
181 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We also need need help deciding where to stay & what to do?

My teen girls 15 and 13 yrs old love the Kalahari---They look forward going there every summer. This year we went to Mexico in the beginning of June, but they are more excited about going back to the Kalahari. There is literally so much to do. Across the street is McDonalds/Subway/Ponderosa/Dennys/Unos Pizzeria and a new shopping mall.

Dont waste your time on:

Ripleys Believe it or Not

Top Secret

Feeding the deer at the deer park

Spend your money on:

A Duck tour---great fun

Mt Olympus--the go carts and roller coasters are SO MUCH FUN!

Rent jet skis/speed boat at Holiday Shores--(cheaper than others)

Walk thru town and shop.

The Kalahari might be a little more $ but it is soooooo worth it.

Have Fun

North Dakota
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: We also need need help deciding where to stay & what to do?

Thanks everyone your advice was helpful Has anyone seen the Tommy Bartlett night show? And is there one boat ride or company better then another? Thanks

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
397 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We also need need help deciding where to stay & what to do?

We stayed at Great Wolf Lodge and enjoyed it very much. The indoor water park is really big and the whole place was clean and well maintained. Our room was very large and had a large bathroom for a hotel type room. It also had a microwave and fridge so we ate breakfast in the room to save money. There's a Cracker Barrel right across the highway for reasonably priced good southern cooking. Next to the Cracker Barrel is a large theatre and right in in front of the lodge and an easy walk is Bufallo Phil's Grill. Tanager Outlet Mall is a short walk as well.

A lot of the attractions in the Dells are tourist trap, hokie places. Of the places like Ripley's and the haunted houses we thought WIzard Quest was a real blast. We actually went back again that same week just because we had so much fun.

We saw the Tommy Bartlett night show back in early June and were very disappointed. They seemed to struggle to meld the pirate theming into a ski show. We just saw the ski show at Cypress Gardens back in January and thought it was much better. We based this visit to Tommy Bartlett off our memory of the show they had in Pigeon Forge back in the mid 70's which was pretty good. I wouldn't recommend this current Tommy Bartlett show.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
46 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We also need need help deciding where to stay & what to do?

We totally agree on Great Wolf Lodge...very spacious well-maintained rooms. Clean,fresh, refrigerator ...three large waterparks inside and also outside waterparks. No waiting in long lines, only guests can use the waterparks, unlike the other places that sell 1 day passes to anyone wanting one. Everything is very close, easy to walk to, many lifeguards, very friendly and helpful staff. We are going back again this month. Go to gREATWOLF.COM and get a virtual tour and check rates, they have internet specials...I think you'd be very pleased...WE ARE.......our kids are 9 & 10 and love it...there is also hair braiding, air painted tatoos and t-shirt dying for the kids.

Quad-Cities, Iowa
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We also need need help deciding where to stay & what to do?

GWL is suitable for all ages. It is relatively expensive but once you are there you really do not need to leave. There is also a dry play area included (adults even have fun, that is if you are willing to act 5 or 6 again). The outlet mall is next door, an easy walk from the hotel. You are not located far from many attractions. I recommend the Magic Show! It is the best thing in the Dells!

I have stayed at the Kalahari and was not impressed at all. I stayed with my boyfriend (both in our 20's) and we were done with the slides and ready to leave within 45 minutes. It was a great let down. Then again we did not stay during the Summer when the outdoor park is open and that appears to be have many fun slides. This is one area the GWL lacks, outdoor waterpark.

Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: We also need need help deciding where to stay & what to do?

I agree with previous posters about the Kalahari. My teenage boys love the place and we go for a couple days every summer. There is lots to do and you don't even have to leave the place to have a great time. Weather doesn't matter because the indoor park is huge. The outside water park has a dj and you can get grilled chicken sandwiches or hamburgers. Last year I just floated around the lazy river continuously for hours. It was so relaxing. There are also lots of food options close by. The girls will not be disappointed.

9. Re: We also need need help deciding where to stay & what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 03:16