We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Dells cheesy/tourist trap?

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Dells cheesy/tourist trap?

To those of us who frequent the area we probably don't think so. So why don't you think the Dells is cheesy? And if you do what makes it cheesy to you.

I love waterparks

I enjoy that lots of activities are in close proximity

There's lots of motel choices to stick with a favorite or try something new.

It's in my state and when gas prices are high it appeals even more as something nearby and fun.

The kids love it!

I have memories of going there (once as a teen)

There's some beautiful scenery not to be overlooked

We honeymooned there because we like to have fun and love waterparks

and did I mention I love waterparks

The main reason we go is waterparks plus all the neat other choices there. The things labeled cheesy are interesting and different. Then there are regular activities but all housed closeby so you can stay in one general area.

Ok your turn, do you have anything to add--agree/disagree :-)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
947 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Dells cheesy/tourist trap?

Wisconsin Dells is very similar to other tourist areas - ones that I have been to include Myrtle Beach, Branson and Pigeon Forge. Although there aren't any ocean waves, Smokie Mountains or multiple large music theaters in the Dells, it has it's own flavor. The beauty of the Dells shouldn't be missed. And cheesy is what you make of it.

3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Dells cheesy/tourist trap?

I think the Dells is Cheesy and Fudgy. Sometimes Nutty.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
618 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Dells cheesy/tourist trap?

parts of it are cheesy, but this is the dairy state.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Dells cheesy/tourist trap?

LOL

good answers :-)

lake delton wis
Level Contributor
169 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Dells cheesy/tourist trap?

The Wisconsin Dells on the strip is cheesy with the same stuff sold in most of the stores. Lake Delton, which is really the Wisconsin Dells, in my opinion, is not. Seriously, how may lacquered wood planks of Jesus can you look at?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
947 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Dells cheesy/tourist trap?

You find the same stuff for sale at any of the other tourist areas, they just put a different name on it.

3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Dells cheesy/tourist trap?

I wonder if anyone tries to collect the exact same piece of souvenier junk at every place they visit for a collection? So you could have one from the Dells, one from Branson, one from the Black Hills... etc.

minneapolis minn
Level Contributor
654 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Dells cheesy/tourist trap?

holy gunkers! they have lacquered pictures of JESUS in the dells? HOLD ON MAW,,,imma packing me bags now!

lake delton wis
Level Contributor
169 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the Dells cheesy/tourist trap?

Sorry optimus I just bought the last one for my collection...ewwwweeeeeeeeeee!!!!

10. Re: Is the Dells cheesy/tourist trap?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 21:20