We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon help

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Green River, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon help

Well, thanks to my job, my wife-to-be and I have to postpone our New Zealand honeymoon to next year. However, we are getting married this July and afterwards, I'd like to do a little something. She is from the West and had never even heard of the Dells, whereas my family is from Chicago and we had a three times a year ritual when I was a child. Unfortunately, I grew up and have not been there in almost a decade.

What would you guys recommend for us for two or three nights in late July in the Dells these days for a romantic getaway? We are both avid golfers, so I would prefer a place with a course, though this is not a requirement. I would also prefer a place that is a little away from the action of the the downtown area, but again not required. I'd be willing to spend up to about $250-$300 per night depending on the accomidations.

Thank you!

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
518 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon help

Sundara, perhaps?

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon help

How cute are you! I'd second Sundara, get a villa it's in your price range... if not, definitely get a balcony/fireplace/jacuzzi tub. Check out the reviews first though, to know exactly what to expect. They really lack in some areas, but excel in others. I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars with a few glitches.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
242 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon help

I haven't been to this place, but I've met the owners (seemed nice) and its Garden Cottage looks like it might be perfect for a honeymoon, bowmansoakhillbedandbreakfast.com/rooms.htm. It's just north of downtown, close to the Dells of the Wisconsin River state natural area, which has a trail that ends in a sand beach on the Wisconsin River, kind of a hidden spot where you can watch the cruise boats go by.

Sundara is good if you want an upscale type place. Most of the other resorts will be full of families, probably not conducive for a honeymoon.

Beth at MidwestWeekends.com

3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon help

Trappers Turn golf course is now owned by the Kalahari, so you can get package deals. Kalahari will have lots of kids, but I know they also do lots of honeymooners. They also have a spa and lots of other activities on-site.

Indiana
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon help

Hi, I think the Dells is nice and a lot of fun but it doesn't seem like a honeymoon place to me. My husband and I just got married in Sept. and couldn't afford to go away for a big honeymoon so we went to Saugatuck, MI. We live in Hammond, IN about 40 minutes from downtown Chicago. It took us an hour and a half to drive to Saugatuck. A lot closer than the Dells.

We went for three nights and stayed in a beautiful B&B with a huge room and private jacuzzi tub and fireplace. Then we stayed at a nice hotel with a pool for two nights. The area is very nice and the beaches are absolutely beautiful! They have famous sunsets and we had very romantic time watching them from the beach.

We don't golf but we saw 3 or 4 very pretty golf courses. I think a couple of them may even be resorts. Lots of good restaurants and an adorable downtown area with lots of nice shops. We splurged one night at an upscale restaurant for about $150, including drinks. A lot of places have outdoor seating and live entertainment.

It's all right on the water. There is a lot of information about the area here on tripadvisor. We paid about $150 - $200 a night but I'm sure it's more expensive in the summer. I think you could still find something in your budget.

Don't get me wrong and no offense to anyone, the Dells is great! But in my opinion, Saugatuck would better suit what you're looking for.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,087 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon help

We're big kids at heart and loved the Dells for our honeymoon. We didn't stay anywhere fancy we just enjoyed the waterparks, restaurants, horseback riding, etc. I would recommend it for a honeymoon it's not for everybody certainly but I do think it's a fun place and fun and honeymoon go together. Wish I could help with a great suggestion of where to stay but I haven't been to the bigger places or anywhere with a golf course.

7. Re: Honeymoon help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 14:20