We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"The Club" at Chula Vista

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
"The Club" at Chula Vista

Hi friends,

Anyone heard of "The Club at Chula Vista"? Some new marketing of a timeshare /vacation club /points thing? Looks like discounts on all things at the resort.

Has anyone done the pitch? They say 60 minutes & bring the kids. I don't know if we'll make it 5 minutes with our two little ones!

Any info or experience or costs appreciated.

Thanks,

SeaBass

405 replies to this topic
Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

Hola from vacation in Cozumel,

Well, I've never signed up for any timeshare thing, but I'd get on the horn right now with the company which you signed. Might need to also get a lawyer.

Best also to send a registered letter, signature reply guarantee, stating that you want to cancel per the terms of the contract (if you are legally able).

Best of luck,

SeaBass

Elgin, IL
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

We just returned from Chula Vista on Wednesday. We were too busy to do the tour of The Club, but I am hoping to get some additional information. For the exchange feature, does it exchange through Interval International? If so, how soon can you start using the exchange feature once you join the club? I ask because I noticed Chula in our Interval International exchange directory. I called II to find out what the availability is, but they had no information as to how soon units from Chula Vista would be deposited. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

The salesman at Chula Vista said in order to exchange with another location, like Maui for example, someone from Maui must also request Chula Vista! That's why CV might be a cheaper purchase price, because it's less desirable globally for trading. And you'll get many, "Sorry, no trades available or sold out" replies to trade inquiries, per the salesman.

So if you're going to use CV a lot, and you can negotiate the price way down, go for it.

Oh one more thing...realize you are an owner, and along with that comes payment responsibility for rehab & refurbishing the property (new roof, pool, tuckpointing, parking lot paving, etc) so there may be extra assessments put to you. Same if property taxes go up. Read all the fine print & request copies of all contract Exhibits that they say you can view online or request.

Adios,

SeaBass

Rockford, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

My family signed on with the Club at Chula Vista in Feb 2010. We have been happy with the service overall. A lot of freebies were also inclueded. One which gave us 4 days 3 nights any time any room for free (we paid tax of 40.00) and we booked in the middle of summer with the 3 bedroom condo and 9ppl, all recieved waterpark passes. The only issue I am having now is the calendar is not updated to show the discounts of any month past November 2010. I would like to book for the winter but I am unable to without knowing the discounts. I have stopped by and no one could provide me with a calendar of the discounts. The employees in the club told me they have no idea what the discounts are by the date and I would have to call. I have called and left a message. I really do not want to bother a booking agent and give out random dates I might want to go just to find out the discount that shows up after they punch in the dates. If anyone does have knowledge of the discounts and dates, please share.

Sioux Falls, South...
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

I went to the presentation this weekend and had a very terrible time. The one hour promised turned into two. The low pressure turned into high pressure and we felt trapped there. The deal does not all sound that bad but it does cost a fair amount to just get a discount on weekday hotel rooms. Its kinda like buying a membership to sam's club and getting discounts. But I do not feel that it is a good enough deal to buy into unless your retired or have a ton of free time to travel. Our salesman totally pushed us to the limit which got very annoying and frusterating. If you wanna hear a presentation that is "different" from all the others this may be it. But I do not feel that this is a good deal for young couples and the presentation was very manipulative. But thats sales right? Let me here what other people's expieriences were

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1 post
209 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

Did this today. Spendy and high pressure. Also, the rep was curt when we said no. Sounds good but it will take 5-10 years to break even. No time to ponder the benefits visa-vis the cost. Must sign NOW or the deals go away . If the program is so good, why the sign now pressure. Who buys a car or a house that way?

Oconomowoc...
3 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

I have a calendar that goes through April of 2011. Funny though the revenue manager said there wasn't one!! We are actually having issues all the prices have gone up. Do you know if you have been paying the discount off the preferred rate or the published rate? We were always given the preferred rate and then whichever % off so 80% day would be 40$ for a 2BR. What did they have you paying? so now they are taking the discount off the published rate which is just a fictitious number. Who would pay $479 if $199 was offered? Even at that 80% off is $95.80 and they are telling me the lowest rate for that room is $129!! I am searching for other people with issues. Please let me know your status. We are asking for a prorated refund +$4750 for the 19 years we won't be using. Also the other aspects trading places and II I haven't had any use for yet . Nothing better than what I can find on any travel website. So the only benefit we were using was the discounts at Chula. This is killing me because we did enjoy it. Minus a lot of issues with these rates and customer service being non existent. I wrote a letter in Oct.to the CEO and Club and got no response. Then I finally tracked down this revenue guy and he says to me "well I have quotas I need to meet so we need to change how we do it" Boy if we could get a group of people together. And now I see they are using more pressure on people. IDK that isn't my way of doing business. I can email u the calendar or you can ask me which dates u thinking of but I agree with you that you need to plan cost effectively. I am not rich I need to save where I can. This was a nice way to do something nice with my family. We spend a lot of money elsewhere at the hotel buffet gift shops bar etc so why do they want a room to sit open rather than getting it booked and getting some money?? FRUSTRATED!!!!

Oconomowoc...
3 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

we were told(apparently you can't believe everything you are told though) not to deposit the week anywhere just to use the getaways or hot deals as the best way to save....however I have yet to use it the one trip my Mom took (co owner of savings plan) it was less than a week so they have not used it yet. I was using the Chula discounts like every month (not summer) until now they are changing it all up read my reply to #16 i think it was. And you mentioned the ownership stuff before we (were told) we are not owners of a unit we only are owners of a savings program....i was glad to come across these comments! Hope they will help me fight my war against Chula Club unfairness.

rkfd
2 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

stressed =( I went to chula vista and signed up for this club thing they offer (on 2/28/2011). we signed everything and when it was time to pay we (husband and I ) were going to use 2 different debt cards. so husband paid almost 300.00 with his debit for the down payment and when it was my turn the bank declined it. they first said it was because I was a new customer and a 1000.00 was exceeding my daily limit (I made other purchases earlier that day). so I asked them to run the debit card in the morning. again it failed. Well that morning I learned of issues at home and I now needed the money in the bank for more important issues then vacationing! so I talked to the financing guy and because I never gave the full amount for the down payment I thought I would not be liable. I tried to explain the situation and told him that I knew I was not going to be reimburse the amount I had already given but that I would not be able to be in the "club" The first thing out of his mouth was, "you sign the contract and are liable for it so we can make the down payment of 1000.00 in payments for you." Did he not here what I had told him??? So I was upset and told him that I was going to break the contract and not pay him for anything......now I dont know what is going to happen!!!!! not sure what to do and hoping someone here can give me some advice =) pls help!

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

Sorry after so much has been posted negatively on the subject that you fell victim to this scam.

Your appropriate action is to find a lawyer to write a contract cancellation letter on the lawyer's letterhead to The Club. Say something like, "...canceling effective date _____, if The Club does not accept, we will sue The Club for 10x value of the total membership."

This should only cost you 1-2 hours of lawyer's fees, and possibly your $300 deposit. At least you're attempting to get out now while you're only bleeding.

Make notes & save any correspondence you've had with The Club. Note the dates, times, people's names, titles, and what was specifically said. Build a file now.

Your lawyer will tell you how to legally handle this situation. I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.

Bye,

SeaBass

Reply to: "The Club" at Chula Vista
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted