We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking

wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
hiking

Can you hike anywhere along the river where the boat tours go? I am sure there is plenty of private property but is any public and can it be hiked? Its cool seeing things from a boat but would also be cool seeing them from land. I would love to hike around the area of witches gulch or some of the rock formations.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hiking

I haven't heard or know of any areas along the river you can go and don't seem to turn up any online. Mostly further out stuff and Devil's Lake. A book title you may be interested in:

amazon.com/exec/…slackpacker-20

Maybe the locals have some more insight on your ?

Edited: 22 April 2010, 17:32
wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hiking

Thanks for the reply. I too was hoping some locals would have some knowledge of this. I have been going to the dells for years and have done many boat tours and always wondered whats behind the trees that line the river. Like I said, I am sure theres alot of private land but there must be some public?? Someone please chime in. Thanks for the link as well.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
242 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiking

Check out the Dells of the Wisconsin River state natural area. Take River Road north of downtown for 1.7 miles. There's a parking area west of the road. A wood-chip trail leads through a meadow filled with wildflowers, into a grove of Norway pine and down the bluff to a beautiful, secluded beach in the Upper Dells, where you can swim and watch the tour boats go by, midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/nature/parks…

wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hiking

Thanks Seabury

nmbjs
Level Contributor
518 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hiking

Thank you so much Seabury! Now I have something new to check out!

West Salem, WI
Level Contributor
87 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hiking

Do you know how long of hike this is? We love the Dells and hiking and have already booked a camping trip to devils lake for the summer but we are always looking for new and exciting places to hike in the dells area.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
242 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hiking

It's not a long hike. The Dells of the Wisconsin River is a state natural area -- like a state park, but smaller and without any services, and usually they protect some rare or sensitive plant or feature.

It's beautiful and peaceful, but I wouldn't call it exciting. You won't be able to do a lot of exploring -- the web site says, "The cliffs and side canyons are closed to the public to protect sensitive features." Check it out at dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/sna/index.asp?SNA=283

If you're coming to the Dells from Devil's Lake, you'll pass another natural area, Pewits Nest, dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/sna/index.asp?SNA=200

It's small but really cool. And just east of Devil's Lake is the coolest one of all, Parfrey's Glen, dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/sna/index.asp?SNA=1.

I think it qualifies as exciting. If your boys are old enough, it's a fantastic 10-mile hike on the Ice Age National Scenic Trail from Devil's Lake to Parfrey's Glen.

West Salem, WI
Level Contributor
87 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hiking

Thanks for the info Seabury!

9. Re: hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2010, 07:24