We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two 50 year olds coming...what do you recommend!!

Michigan
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Two 50 year olds coming...what do you recommend!!

My husband and I always wanted to visit, so decided to do it this summer. Could I have some recommendations as to where to stay (not interested in waterparks really) and what to do. Will there be enough to keep us busy without kids? Thanks in advance!

Baraboo, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
173 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two 50 year olds coming...what do you recommend!!

What are your interests? You may like the duck or boat tours.

Railroad museum with rides in North Freedom. Hiking and swimming at Devils Lake State Park in Baraboo. Gambling at Ho Chunk in Baraboo.

Madison wis
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two 50 year olds coming...what do you recommend!!

The most relaxing resort that my family has stayed it was one we found on dellsbestcondos.com . We looked under their rental site and found some really nice units.. one, two, or three bedroom directly on the lake. With great views, clean, nice relaxing amenities and with in 5 to 10 minutes to the main dells attractions.. very nice..

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
954 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two 50 year olds coming...what do you recommend!!

I'm in and around the Dells most summer weekends and my husband and I are in our 50's, so I can relate. There's lots of mini golf if you like to be out and about. If you want to be entertained and see the scenery, take the Upper Dells boat tour. Another good tour is the ducks - the Original Ducks will take you on the most water.

You might like to go and watch the Tommy Bartlett Show (waterskiing), but if you have seen waterskiing shows in the past, I recommend you go and have an early or late dinner at the Ravina Bay (it's across the water from the show) and sit on the deck and eat while the show is going on. If you like water activities, you can rent kayaks, wave runners, boats and pontoons and explore Lake Delton or the Wisconsin River. We haven't done them yet, but the jet boat rides look kind of fun. You can also do dinner cruises and happy hour cruises on the Wisconsin River. If you like circus history, then you must visit Circus World in Baraboo. There are several state parks very close to the Dells (they have an admission fee). Then there is the typical touristy type shops, fudge shops, go-carts, magic show and if you like waterparks, Noah's Ark.

For restaurants, I would recommend River's Edge Pub and Grub (good atmosphere), Highrock Cafe, Friday night fish fry at the Sandbar, River Walk Pub where you can eat or drink on one of their decks and watch the boat traffic on the Wisconsin River below you, Marley's for a Carribean feel, Monk's for a good burger (especially downtown location where the smell of fried onions as you walk by makes your mouth water - at least it does for us!). If you like to splurge a little, try Ishnala for a Wisconsin-style supper club, located on the shore of Mirror Lake with lovely surroundings dating back to fur trading days.

I really can't help much for lodging as we have our own place, but you have options from woodsy cottages to upscale condos to chain motels or mom-and-pop motels. If you search here and find a place you might like, you can post another question for reviews.

Hope that helps. Have a great visit!

midwest
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Two 50 year olds coming...what do you recommend!!

PPowner that was some great info you provided! My husband and I have been going to the Dells since we got married (many moons ago) and have seen the changes. Lots of good things. Some great restaurants have opened up. You have given great recommendations on things to do and places to eat.

I love the Highrock Cafe. We will have to check out Ravina Bay.For lodging, I like the Chula Vista Resort if you can get a great deal. Even if you don't use the water amenities, the resort itself is beautiful.

5. Re: Two 50 year olds coming...what do you recommend!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2010, 05:16