We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with a large family - any advice?

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Travelling with a large family - any advice?

My husband, myself and our five kids (ages 9 - 19) will be travelling to the Dells. Does anyone have any advice for big families? We're not sure where to stay, eat or entertain the kids. What works best for large families?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with a large family - any advice?

First if you can tell us when you are coming and how much you plan to budget for lodging. This will make it easier to help as some hotels close during the winter and prices are greatly reduced during the winter.

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
119 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with a large family - any advice?

If you're travelling during the summer, I would recommend you check out Rail Dog for a light meal with a quirky twist. Its just a block off the main downtown street, and the kids will get a kick out of it: its a caboose-turned-hotdog stand, and operated by a very personable polish fellow in a conductor's hat. $3.50 tax incl. will get you a hot dog and fries, drinks are just $1. My husband is still raving about the Dells taco. Just posted my review today, if you want to read a little more about our visit and see some photos. Definitely not gourmet, but its a cheap meal with a bit of a twist that's kind of fun.

Also, if you're looking for discounted tickets to various Dells attractions, I would highly recommend you check out the WBIG Radio Shopping Show website. We ordered passes for several Dells attractions (Noah's Ark Waterpark, Tommy Bartlett Show, Wizard Quest, Ripleys, 4D Theatre, Old River Mini Golf, etc.) before our trip and had them mailed to us....and most were at least 50% of the walk-up rate. I see you are from Canada too (meaning they can't ship to you except in a special order) but I can give you the co-ordinators contact information if its something you're interested in pursuing. Send me a private message and I'll be happy to help you! In the meantime, here's the site:

www.wbig1280.com/catalog/index.asp…

Click on the "category" button and select "Wisconsin Dells" to filter it down to just the Dells attractions and gift certificates available.

Wizard Quest would be great for your kids' ages. It was one of the favourites for my 14 year old son and his best friend.

Also, highly recommend the Dells Fun Cards (buy-one, get-one free admission, including some of the more popular attractions like the Original Wisconsin Ducks and Pirates Cove Mini Golf). They are normally $10 each if ordered directly from the website but the WBIG Radio Shopping Show offers them for $3. They even give you buy 1/get 1 meals at several places (Pizza Pub, Famous Daves, etc.). You would need one card for every two people though....so if there are seven of you in total, you'd need 3 cards. Some motels give you a card with your stay, so be sure to look into that as well. Check here for what's included on each card:

www.dellsfuncard.com

Also, many hotel and motel properties offer the OPA card with your stay (for free) which gives you 35% admission to a whole list of attractions (any number of people with one card). Click here:

www.opacard.com

Hope this helps!

3. Re: Travelling with a large family - any advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 July 2010, 23:35
4. Re: Travelling with a large family - any advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2011, 07:20